Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Wifi speed slow intel 9650 (slow only on my laptop)

4321jatin
Beginner

So I just got a fibernet connection and all my other devices are giving 100Mbps connection but this reached maximim upto 30 Mbps and that too when i was right next to the router. Ive tried everything.. updated to the latest drivers... switched my preference to 5 ghz etc.

here is the info :

SSID: Airtel_9910992362_5GHz
Protocol: 802.11a
Security type: WPA2-Personal
Network band: 5 GHz
Network channel: 36
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 54/54 (Mbps)
Link-local IPv6 address: fe80::2c1a:5e41:e327:5fdd%6
IPv4 address: 192.168.1.11
IPv4 DNS servers: 8.8.8.8
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Description: Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz
Driver version: 22.40.0.7
Physical address (MAC): E2-10-43-41-09-E2

pleasee help

my PC information : acer nitro 5 ANS515-52

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

4321jatin,

Check in the configuration for the 9650 adapter and look for Channel Width for 2.4 GHz and Channel Width for 5 GHz. Make sure both are set to Auto.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, please download and run the Intel System Support Utility. The SSU collects detailed hardware and operating system information, nothing sensitive. Leave the options to default values and click Scan, and after the scan is done click Next, and then click Save. Save the report and then post back and attach the file. The Intel SSU can be found here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

0 Kudos
4321jatin
Beginner

I checked, they both were set on auto

Im attaching the file here....hope this can help

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

4321jatin,

Would you please describe your wireless network? Is this a single/standalone wireless router connected to your Internet provider? Or is this part of a mesh? And what is the model of the device or devices you are connecting to from the Acer Nitro?

The SSU report shows you are connected on 5 GHz band, but at the 54 Mbps you are experiencing. This could be something related to your wireless hardware.

0 Kudos
4321jatin
Beginner

First of all I appreciate you man... secondly this is a stand alone router... Like this is the only router in my home right now ... 

and how can I check my devices...

from basic understanding of you question, I can tell that Im connected to my keyboard and mouse wirelessly via bluetooth 

My Devices.PNG

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

4321jatin,

What I was trying to ask is the type of router the laptop is connected to. Since you only have the one, it will be your wireless router. I believe you have an Airtel, but I am not sure of that. Knowing the brand and model of router can be really important in sorting out these issues. Anyone working on this is likely going to need that.

Has this laptop ever needed any repair or was it ever upgraded? Is the wireless adapter the original adapter? Before you got the fibernet connection, what speeds were you getting?

The really curious thing is your transmit and receive signal strength are both limited to exactly 54 Mbps. That's the speed of a wireless 2.4 GHz G connection. But the SSU also clearly shows you actually have a 5 GHz A connection. Wireless A has much higher throughput than wireless G. This is an oddity. That's another reason I am curious about the router.

0 Kudos
4321jatin
Beginner

heyy so its of airtel, yes. the model number is not written exactly. its a brand new nokia G2425G-A fiber ONT model... i googled it...yes the wirelless adapter is the original one... before fibernet my net speed was too low so it cant be judged... I was getting max 1MBps from my college wifi but everyone got the same speeds. And also... I searched youtube for the solution and found it... Actually many other people also face this problem so its simple fix was to fix to 2.4ghz band and voila...it worked for me ... now my wifi speed shows 300Mbps... its still not like 5G tho since it should be in gigs thats why Im curious... the speed showed fluctuates from 300 to 100 and all but then the signal strength also goes down since I am little far from the router location but i was getting around 12MBps of download speed easily so thats enough for me 

speed.PNG

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

4321jatin,

I'm glad you are getting reasonable service by switching over to 2.4 GHz. It is true that 5 GHz signals are degraded as they pass through walls, doors, etc. The more things in the way, the worse it gets. 2.4 GHz is more forgiving regarding this. The problem is 2.4 GHz only supports connections up to 40 MHz wide while 5 GHz (and more recently 6 GHz) supports connections up to 160 MHz wide. The wider the signal the more data you can send and receive at the same time. That's why 2.4 GHz speeds are never rated as high as 5 GHz.

One thing worth mentioning is that if you have a serious amount of distance to blanket with your wireless router, or if you have a lot of devices that use 5 GHz, it might be worth getting a wireless router that has a better antenna setup. Anytime you have a device that is acting as the Internet coupling device, there is likely to be a trade-off of electronics for the Internet connection versus the wireless and router features. An external router that cables to the G2425G-A fiber ONT is likely to have a host of features, including better wireless support, that just are too much to pack into the Internet all-in-one device. Of course, it costs more to have two devices. Some people have a small enough area or just don't need the extra features and are happy with an all-in-one device. It all depends on the needs or requirements of the environment.

0 Kudos
4321jatin
Beginner

ya but see the catch is i was getting same speeds when i brought my laptop right next to the router... still i was getting only 25 Mbps speed

0 Kudos
4321jatin
Beginner

F

0 Kudos