Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Wifi starts fast and then drops

DTurn4
Beginner

I have an MSI 17 in laptop that has worked fine until this week. All of a sudden my internet has dropped to become ridiculously slow. I know the internet connectivity is not my laptop as I have several other laptops on the network as well as phones, game consoles, etc, and they all work fine. I have an Intel Dual Band Wifi chip which I've tried updating the driver for and completely uninstalling and reinstalling. I've tried getting rid of my wifi profiles. I've resetting WinSock and different network services. Nothing seems to work whatsoever. Here are screen shots of the device dropping in speed:

My other computer (which is less powerful mind you) gets consistently under 20ms when pinging google.

Any help would be appreciated. This is my primary pc . I just felt like I've tried everything at this point.

The specific chip is the Intel Dial Band Wireless AC3165

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello BlueOkiris,

We understand you're experiencing slowness regarding your wireless connectivity through the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 and that this is your primary computer.

Before we go any further, we would like to inform you that ping spikes are somewhat common depending on the circumstances taking into consideration what the computer is doing actively and in the background.

The environment and the signal strength impose considerable influence on this situation. It may not be possible to keep this from happening completely, however, there some actions you can try to minimize them. Please, take a look at this solution provided by other users. Please note that trying other users' solution may cause damage to a certain systems:/message/322361# 322361 High latency in games after Windows 10 (7260AC) this seems to work with the adapter you have as well. Bear in mind that this using the methodology applied by other users is at your own risk.

Alternatively, you may follow the instructions below:

1. Access your router and try other channels, most routers come set to channels 1, 6 or 11

2. Disable Bluetooth if not in use as it impact on your Wireless Internet Connectivity. Check this article for additional information: https://www.ecnmag.com/article/2012/03/wi-fi-and-bluetooth-coexistence Wi-Fi and Bluetooth coexistence *NOTE this link is offered to your convenience only and should not be viewed as endorsed by Intel Corporation regarding its content and services.

3. There are reports from other users applying methods they've found very useful to resolve this situation such as registry modification using: "scanwhenassociated" fix. Please bear in mind that we don't recommend this procedure since it disables the adapter features and this may lead to OS corruption if not done properly, however, you may consider this at your own risk: /message/246711# 246711 AC 7260 frequent ping spikes/message/246711# 246711 .

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello blueOkiris,

We haven't heard back from you in a while. Has your issue been resolved?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos