Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Win 10 x64 1709 / AC-7265 / Bluetooth / Samsung Galaxy

JSloa1
Beginner

This is a re-posting from Microsoft forum, hoping perhaps someone has some experience with the issue here.

On my new Win10 Laptop I am not able to get the appropriate level of Bluetooth device support for my phone. This appears to be due to a lack of drivers for the "Other Devices" that are installed when pairing my phone. On my Windows 7 device with the Broadcom drivers stack the device pairs fine and I can remotely play music from my phone through to my PC and connected audio system. Currently on Windows 10 (1703) when I pair the phone I am not able to do this. Several "other devices" are present in device manager.

PandoraLink

SdlProxy

SMS/MMS

The system does not seem to understand how to handle these Bluetooth devices.

I've tried updating the drivers, there's nothing that pulls down from Windows Update.

I've tried several iterations of the Intel Bluetooth driver to no avail.

The Broadcom drivers are no longer available from the Broadcom site, they indicate that the drivers are available from Microsoft update, I have had no such luck.

Lenovo support is useless and they want to charge me (for my brand new laptop!) a "nominal" software support fee to troubleshoot my issue, or I am free to contact Microsoft support.

I feel this issue is due to the use of a Microsoft Bluetooth stack and not the "classic" Broadcom stack, but I'm not able to force an install of the Broadcom stack on Windows 10 because the software no longer exists on the manufacturer's website. Is there any way to force a Broadcom driver rather than the Microsoft/Intel conglomeration that appears to be the default?

-------- Contcted Lenovo again -------

I just spent a few hours on the phone with Lenovo, no change in the result. They did create a software case but that team isn't open until tomorrow. For my own troubleshooting I did install an IOGear USB Dongle (GBU521) I had connected to my desktop and I was able to pair the phone an at least get audio connectivity. It wasn't the "smooth" windows connected experience that I could do using the connect panel from the notification menu, but instead opening the control panel and browsing this path: Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers. From there I could "control" my phone from a context menu which popped up a management window and i could click "connect" under Audio. Very cumbersome, but it worked.

A key differentiation between the pairings, on the phone when I paired to the Intel BT device there were no services listed that i could toggle on/off. After pairing with the IOGear (Broadcom) I had two services i could toggle, Media Audio and Input Control.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Sloanstar,

Thanks for posting in our community. We understand that you're missing some audio related features when pairing your smartphone with your laptop via Bluetooth*.

The missing the drivers seem to be specifically for the paired device or at at least mobile devices. Please uninstall the Bluetooth* USB dongle and unpair your smartphone (and other paired devices, if any) from Bluetooth*. Afterwards, please perform a clean Bluetooth* driver installation:
  1. Download and save your driver of choice. You can:
    1. Get the latest system-specific driver from https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html your computer manufacturer support.
    2. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005559.html Download the Latest Driver for Your Intel® Bhttps://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005559/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html luetooth.
  2. Uninstall the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Bluetooth® Software.
    1. Open Programs and Features (Uninstall a program) from the Control Panel.
    2. Select Uninstall or Change and then Remove.
    3. When prompted, choose to discard settings.
  3. Uninstall your Bluetooth driver. Windows* with an inbox driver may natively support some wireless/Bluetooth adapters. You cannot uninstall an inbox driver. Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it's uninstalled.
    1. Go to Device Manager.
    2. Expand the Bluetooth category.
    3. Right-click your Intel Bluetooth Adapter and choose to uninstall it.
    4. Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.
  4. Clear out your temporary files.
    1. Press the Windows* key and R key simultaneously to open the run box.
    2. Type in: cleanmgr.exe and press the Enter key or OK.
    3. Place a check mark next to Temporary Files. You can leave everything else checked or unchecked.
    4. Press OK and wait.
  5. Reboot your computer.
  6. Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator and follow the wizard to completion.

After the driver installation, pair your smartphone again and let us know if there are any differences at Device Manager.

EDIT: Sloanstar Reading online, it seems the Bluetooth* profile A2DP SINK, required to stream audio from a paired device through the computer is missing from Windows 10* Bluetooth* stack. This profile is not present on the Intel Bluetooth* driver either, the computer can stream audio to a device, but cannot receive audio. As far as we know, this is mainly for security reasons and avoid unauthorized call recordings. You can find some examples here:

- (Intel Communities)

- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware-winpc/when-is-microsoft-upgrading-bluetooth-a2dp-sink/40f91d21-2f93-4abb-91a2-a34c612176d0 When is Microsoft upgrading Bluetooth A2DP Sink Feature? (Microsoft* Communities)

- https://superuser.com/questions/1199132/is-there-any-way-to-make-windows-10-act-as-a-a2dp-sink Is there any way to make Windows 10 act as a A2DP sink? (Super User*)

NOTE: Links to third party sites are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
JSloa1
Beginner

Ok, so based on this Microsoft's BT stack does not natively support A2DP, but other stacks have implemented it successfully (Broadcom / Toshiba / BlueSoleil) on their own.

Since the other dongle I have is a Broadcom device that would explain why it is working in windows 10 and why the Intel device is neutered.

As a leading hardware manufacturer I believe it is up to Intel to move away from Microsoft's native stack in order to provide the customer expected and complete Bluetooth user experience. Alternatively you must clearly communicate on external facing packaging to users purchasing Intel hardware or systems containing Intel hardware that they will not be able to utilize the full suite of Bluetooth profiles when utilizing a modern Windows operating system.

Since no such warning currently exists on the Lenovo Yoga that I purchased, and my return window has lapsed I will be filing a false advertisement tort against Lenovo seeking replacement of the Intel hardware for a Broadcom based chipset.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sloanstar,

Thanks for your feedback. We'll pass it over to our business unit for consideration.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
JSloa1
Beginner

While you are passing that information along, you may also want to pass along Microsoft's official supported profiles in Windows 10, according to their own documentation A2DP is supported, it makes no mention of A2DP Source vs. A2DP Sink.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn133849(v=vs.85).aspx Bluetooth Version and Profile Support in Windows 10 (Windows Drivers)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sloanstar,

That's correct, A2DP Source profile is supported on both Windows 10* and Intel® Bluetooth* stack. Otherwise, the computer won't be able to stream audio to other devices via Bluetooth* (such as headphones and speakers).

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
bolbr
Beginner

Hello,

Does this discussion still apply to today's Win 10 - 64-bit OS?

I just received a new laptop and Bluetooth paired it with a Moto G5 Plus.

I see the same entries under "Other Devices" without drivers, and

I can't send audio from the phone to the laptop.

Is this lack of drivers still by design?

Thanks

0 Kudos