Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Windows 10 Home does not recognize Intel AX210 WiFi card

Kali67
Beginner

I have an HP Pavilion Gaming 15-ec1087nw (37H91EA#AKD) laptop with the latest F.25 BIOS and an Intel AX200 WiFi 6 card. My HP laptop has no whitelist and everything works very well without any problems.

The time has come to update so I bought and installed an Intel AX210 WiFi card. Unfortunately there is a problem.

Windows 10 Home does not shows the Intel AX210 WiFi card in Device Manager. The strange thing is that the Bluetooth part of this adapter is working fine.

The latest drivers for WiFi cards from the Intel website are installed. All the updates of Windows 10 are installed too.

Can somebody help?

0 Kudos
29 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You cannot simply replace the AX200 card with the AX210 card and continue. You must do a clean reinstall of the Wireless and Bluetooth drivers. Why? Because the drivers and firmware installed for the AX200 card is not the same as the drivers and firmware for the AX210 card. Here is the process for performing this clean install:

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drivers for your adapter. Here are the current links for downloading these drivers: Wireless: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351 and Bluetooth: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18649
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From the Apps & Features applet, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to Step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and/or Intel Wireless Bluetooth that is present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".
  5. Manually reboot your computer, keeping Internet access disabled throughout.
  6. From the Device Manager applet, check the Network Adapters section for an entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (or AX210) and check the Bluetooth section for an entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth that has an intel driver associated with it. If neither is the case, go to Step 10.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (or AX210) and uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  8. Right click on the entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth and open its properties. If it has an Intel driver associated with it, then uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  9. Go to Step 5.
  10. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. Ensure you have enabled cleaning of System Files. I recommend that you then checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently in this category (so it leaves it set up for next invocation). (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  11. Install the Bluetooth driver package (my rule: always install Bluetooth first).
  12. Install the Wireless driver package.
  13. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  14. Reenable Internet access. Restore Ethernet cable and/or reenable wireless.
  15. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Kali67
Beginner

I did exactly as you wrote.

After that, it is the same as before.

Maybe the WiFi card is broken. Unfortunately, I don't have another laptop with a suitable M.2 slot to check it out.

I will try Linux Ubuntu with kernel 5.10 or 5.12. Or maybe there is another solution to the problem in Windows 10.

0 Kudos
sbus
Beginner

Very helpful. The complaint was "AX210 doesn't show up in device manager". The answer was "Go to device mnanager, find the entry for the AX210...". Get it?

I have the same problem on a Dell Precision. Would love a REAL answer. Mebbe from Intel. The wifi card and bluetooth both show up in the BIOS screens but only Bluetooth in device manager. I can't use my new network card.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Is the card visible in your BIOS?

0 Kudos
Kali67
Beginner

In the BIOS there is no information/options regards WiFi card. However, there are tests from HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI (before OS boot).
And if an AX200 or AX210 card is inserted, the tests detect these cards. If there is no WiFi card in the laptop, the tests detect that the WiFi card is not installed.

2022-02-10 10:51:51 Wireless Module Check Selected
2022-02-10 10:51:51 Estimated Total Time Required = 30s
2022-02-10 10:51:51 Wireless Module Check Started
2022-02-10 10:51:51 Wireless Module Check Completed - Result 1

Linux UBUNTU also does not detects AX210 card, but AX200 card detects and installs correctly.

I need to find a laptop first and make sure this AX210 card is working at all.

BTW, now, when I am looking for a solution to the problem, I see a warnings from sellers regarding Intel WiFi cards: "Not support IBM / Thinkpad / Lenovo / HP laptop".

0 Kudos
Kali67
Beginner

I am wondering about an issue. I mean Intel vPro Technology.

Are there AX200 and AX210 cards with and without vPro Technology?

And if so, how to recognize them (FRU P/N, T P/N, SPS, FCC ID, IC or another numbers)?

vPro - maybe this is the reason?

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Kali67

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We understand that you have replaced the original wireless adapter that came pre-installed on your system to integrate an Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 and it is not being recognized either by Windows* or Linux.

We also noticed that the original wireless adapter is indeed properly detected. This may be pointing out to a hardware compatibility issue.

Did you review directly with the laptop manufacturer (OEM) to confirm the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 (Gig+) is 100% validated and approved its compatibility for your system? Or did you review with them if any driver, BIOS update/setting, firmware update, or any other step(s) would be required to allow a good-working and correct wireless integration¹?

Since you have already tried a Clean Installation (recommended by n_scott_pearson) using the latest Intel® generic drivers, we recommend trying the Clean Installation again but this time using the customized drivers offered by HP* website. Checking their Release Notes* on the HP website, the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 is in the list of "DEVICES SUPPORTED":

• Intel Bluetooth Driver version 22.70.2.1 Rev.P
  • Intel WLAN Driver version 22.70.0.6 Rev.A

If the behavior persists, please check with your OEM HP* if they have a customized driver validated for this configuration: operating system version, system model, and the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210.

If the wireless adapter is still not recognized, this could be due to an incompatibility issue or a defective adapter. The most common root causes of these types of incompatibility problems are:

• The driver has not been validated/customized for the configuration (PC/laptop + Wireless card + Operating System)
  • The system may require a firmware update.
  • The system connector for the wireless card is not designed (at the electronic or physical level) to work with the Intel® Wireless adapter.
  • There is a limitation from the computer manufacturer (OEM), for instance, at the BIOS level.

In that case, our recommendation is to review further with HP* Support regarding the wireless integration and compatibility.

Notes:

1- Please be aware that the installation or use of Intel® Wireless Adapters is subject to country-specific legal regulations. When an end-user installs a wireless card on a system that did not come with it from the factory, this is what we call "Wireless Integration" and it may cause connection issues or software-hardware errors. For more information, please review the following links:

2- On the ARK website there is a list with the Ordering and Compliance option for the Intel Wireless Card. In the list, you may find the Ordering Codes for the different models that include vPro® support and the models that don't include support for it.

Intel® vPro® Technology is sophisticated and requires setup and activation. Availability of features and results will depend upon the setup and configuration of your hardware, software and IT environment. To learn more visit: http://www.intel.com/technology/vpro

For specific details is required to contact HP to confirm which model is the one installed on the PC and which ones are supported.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Kali67
Beginner

The Wifi Realtek RTL8822CE card (U98H135.00 REV: 04) was installed at the factory.
I replaced this card with an Intel AX200 (SPS: L35282-005 0C, TA: K34403-003) and this card works.
Now I want to upgrade to Intel AX210 (SPS: M27269-005 0A, TA: M17633-001) and this card is not working.
It looks like both Intel WiFi cards are AX2YY.NGWG.NV with No vPro technology.

The HP community is not helpful to much, all the information I found regards only to the lack of 2 antennas or vPro/No vPro technology.

So, I will try:
- Intel Bluetooth drivers version 22.70.2.1 Rev. P and Intel WLAN drivers version 22.70.0.6 Rev.A,
- some HP Diagnostic tools I found,
- whether the AX210 will work with the ASUS VivoBook 14 R459UA i5-8250U laptop.

After that I will let know. And if that does not help, I will close the topic and I will stay with the Intel AX200 card.

Best regards,

Kali67

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Did you perform the clean install of the drivers that I described above? AFAIAC, since you are installing a standard AX210 module, you should be doing this with the latest generic Bluetooth (22.110.2) and Wireless (22.110.1) drivers. You can certainly try it using the drivers on the HP site, however (who knows, there may be a BIOS dependency on these versions - but this should be something that you can ask HP about).

...S

0 Kudos
Kali67
Beginner

I will try first the drivers from HP website suggested by Andrew G.

Of course, I will do a clean install as per your advice. BUT I have to take extra steps to remove ALL drivers using DISM tool.

I will do this because after using Apps & Features and even looking at Device Manager with "Show hidden devices" option active, garbage remains.

If this does not help, I will repeat all steps to uninstall and clean install the latest drivers from the Intel website.

If this does not help, I will look for help from HP. And if HP does not help, I will throw the WiFi card out the window to the south

But now it's 6:35 a.m. at my place, so I'll do it when I get enough sleep and have a fresh mind.

P.s.

There are far too many different driver versions for the Bluetooth module and WiFi card. Despite uninstalling previous versions.

Best regards,

Kali67

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

My personal opinion? If you are seeing corruption at this level, you will be saving yourself a lot of work and grief by reinstalling Windows from scratch.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Kali67

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to try the clean installation with the HP* drivers or with the Intel® drivers as a second try? Also, did you contact HP* for more assistance or did you try the operating system reinstallation suggested by n_scott_pearson?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Kali67
Beginner

First, I removed all Intel drivers from Windows 10, including those from Windows FileRepository.
Then I did a clean install with HP drivers - no success.
In the same way, I did a clean install with the Intel drivers - also without success.

I'm not so desperate to reinstall Windows. I believe that there is no point in doing this, the AX210 with Linux also does not work.

So, I will try to fix the problem with HP. I don't know how replacing the network card is related to the laptop warranty. Maybe I'm not allowed to do this under warranty...

Is there a document on the Intel website to help determine the version of the Intel AX210 network adapter I have?

On the  ARK website -> Ordering and Compliance there is only information about AX210 card types but no information on how to identify them. There is a PCN  document with photos of stickers but it has the annotation "pictures for example only".
It would be helpful to cut off any speculation in the discussion with HP about vPro/No vPro technology of my network card.

If there is no such information, I think the topic can be closed and thank you for your help.

Best regards,
Kali67

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Kali67

Thank you for your response.

For these types of issues (wireless card is not shown in the Device Manager), the possible solutions are as follows:

1. Enable Wireless adapter in Basic Input/Output System (BIOS)
  2. Set BIOS to defaults
  3. Install wireless driver
  4. Perform windows update
  5. Reset network in Windows 10 and winsock data.
  6. Re-install operating system (OS).

We understand that you have reviewed the BIOS and it seems there is no information/options regarding the WiFi card (only option to run hardware diagnostic tests). We can also see that you tried installing drivers (both from HP* and Intel).

In this case, we recommend giving a try to the other steps: (2) Set the BIOS to defaults settings; (4) try running Windows* updates; (5) reset network and winsock data, please refer to this link Fix Wi-Fi connection issues in Windows* under "Network troubleshooting on your device".

As a final step, you may try (6) reinstalling the OS.

In regards to your inquiry about vPro®, the ARK website under the Ordering and Compliance option shows the Ordering Codes for the different models that include vPro® support and the models that don't include support for it. In the model description for each Ordering Code, it shows either "vPro®" or "No vPro®". (e.g.: Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 (Gig+), 2230, 2x2 AX R2 (6GHz)+BT, vPro®).

However, it is important to set the right expectations and clarify that we offer post-sales support, information on wireless cards tags/models are intended to be used by Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) only, some tagging is customized by each OEM.

In addition, since we don't sell or recommend using specific product models and due to the Wireless Regulatory and Limitations, if the issue persists or if you need more assistance regarding vPro® limitations on your system, we recommend checking this issue and the inquiries further with your OEM and to continue working with HP* Support.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Kali67

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to try the other possible solutions for this issue? Did they help with the behavior? Or does the issue persist?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Kali67
Beginner

Hello

Finally, I checked whether the Intel AX210 card works at all. And yes, it works.
I checked it on an Acer Aspire F15 (F5-573G-57AS) laptop with Windows 10 Home.
All I had to do was replace the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 card with the Intel AX210 card and log in to the WiFi network.
It worked at once with the Intel drivers 20.70.21.2 that were installed with the Intel AC 8265 card. That's it.

Currently, I have installed a clean version of Windows 10 on another HDD SSD.
It does not work, so I think the problem is the HP laptop, not the OS, drivers or WiFi adapter.

It looks like I need to report the problem to HP Support.

Best regards,
Kali67

0 Kudos
melocat5
Beginner

Hi! Did you ever get this problem fixed? I am in the exact same situation. Upgraded from ax200 to ax210 and my computer will only recognize the bluetooth driver. It is also an HP gaming laptop (Omen laptop 15-en0xxx).

0 Kudos
Kali67
Beginner

Unfortunately, the problem persists. I described the problem in the HP Community but no one wrote back.

I even tried with clean Windows 11 but without a positive result.

This confirms my belief that the problem lies in the HP hardware or firmware (BIOS, KBC, etc.).

P.s.

Question for Intel experts: where can I find pinouts for the AX200 and AX210 network cards?

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Kali67

Thank you for your response and good test from your side.

Based on these recent facts and considering the wireless card works on another computer, we also agree that the best is to report this directly to HP* Support so they may provide more information and assistance. Thank you for your feedback on this matter.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this request now from our end but the thread will remain open in case you or any other user want to share more feedback.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

When you change from one Intel wireless card to another, you MUST uninstall the Intel Wireless and Bluetooth driver packages and then, after inserting the new card, reinstall these driver packages again.

The reason for this is because the packages contain different drivers and firmware for the different cards. When you install with a particular card installed, only the driver for that card will be installed. If you then switch cards, the existence of the old installation package will prevent the new driver from being installed. Uninstall, change cards and then reinstall.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. My recommendation: Install the Intel Bluetooth driver package before the Intel Wireless driver package.

0 Kudos