Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7430 Discussions

Windows 10 Hyper-V and Intel Wireless AC 9560 160Mhz very slow

Libeccio
Beginner

Hi,

If I use Hyper-V through Ethernet through usb-c, all is working perfectly. When I do the same thing with the wireless device, the performance of the host decrease extremely. I made a lot of research on Internet and a lot of people got the same problem but nobody has founded a solution. I updated with the latest version of the driver from intel website and it changed nothing. If you propose a solution, it will help a lot of people.

Thank you for your help,

Marc

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello Libeccio,

Thank you for posting your question on this Community.

First, we would like to have more information about this issue.

1. When did this issue start happening?
  2. Could you please confirm if this happens on the host or guest machine?
  3. Was the Intel® Wireless adapter preinstalled in the computer?
  4. Please run the Intel® System Support Utility on the host machine to scan your unit and attach the report to this thread.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Libeccio
Beginner

Hello Wanner,

Thank you for your answer.

1. When did this issue start happening? From the first day, I bought the PC. : 03/03
  2. Could you please confirm if this happens on the host or guest machine? Host
  3. Was the Intel® Wireless adapter preinstalled in the computer? Yes
  4. Please run the Intel® System Support Utility on the host machine to scan your unit and attach the report to this thread. Please, find attached the required file

Regards,

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello Libeccio,

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

We will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello Libeccio,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread.

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. We will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello Libeccio,

Thank for your response.

Based on the system report, you are using a generic Wi-Fi driver version. Could you please let us know if this issue happens when running a customized driver?

Intel provides generic versions of software and drivers. Your computer manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes.

Please try to perform a clean installation of both Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth drivers.

Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers

Step 1: Get the latest system-specific driver from your computer manufacturer support.

Step 2: Uninstall your Wi-Fi driver.

Windows* may have an inbox Wi-Fi driver for your wireless adapter. You can't uninstall an inbox driver (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option). Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it’s uninstalled.

1. Go to Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Network Adapters category.
  3. Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter/Bluetooth and choose to uninstall it.
  4. Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.
  5. Restart your computer.

Step 3: Driver installation.

Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator, and follow the wizard to completion.

After that, please check if you are using the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello Libeccio,

If you need further assistance, please let us know. We will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello Libeccio,

We have not heard back from, so we will close this thread. If you need further assistance, please create a new thread, we will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Libeccio
Beginner

Hello Wanner,

Sorry to didn't answer sooner.

I tried the procedure you have proposed : it doesn't work.

I tried the driver from Intel, the driver from the manufacturer, the driver from windows update.

It is always the same symptoms.

You should make some test by yourself and the problem will occur easily.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello Libeccio,

Thank you for your response.

• Do you experience Wi-Fi performance issues when Hyper-V is not enabled?
  • Could you please provide a detailed description of the issue?
  • Is your computer experiencing speed or connectivity issues? How are you measuring this performance?
  • Could you please attach pictures showing the performance you are obtaining and the performance you would like to achieve?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Libeccio
Beginner

Hello,

• Do you experience Wi-Fi performance issues when Hyper-V is not enabled? : No
  • Could you please provide a detailed description of the issue?

Before Hyper-V virtual switch :

Virtual Switch :

Test Internet again :

Numbers speak for themselves

This tests are easy to simulate. Juste a Windows 10 Pro with Hyper-V with the Intel Wireless AC 9560 card.

Again, I am not alone with this problem. I spent a lot of time making some research before contacting you.

Thank you for your help,

Regards,

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello Libeccio,

If you need further assistance, please let us know. We will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello Libeccio,

Thank you for your response.

Because you do not experience Wi-Fi performance issues when Hyper-V is not enabled, this seems related to how Hyper-V manages the resources available to virtualize software.

If your computer is up to date (OS, BIOS, wireless drivers, etc.), our recommendation is that you contact Microsoft* to obtain step-by-step instructions on how to verify the health of the system while using Hyper-V.

Also, if there is a known issue between Intel® Wireless Adapters and this Microsoft* feature, it will be useful to provide feedback to them. In this way, Microsoft* can contact Intel directly to continue working on this issue.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Libeccio
Beginner

Hello,

I am disappointed by this answer.

We spent time to identify the problem was real. There is a strong probability this come from the driver (my best guess) or the hardware.

That means Intel responsibility. Once again, Hyper-V works perfectly with the Intel Ethernet Interface.

Please, try by yourself. Use a laptop with the same wireless chip and install hyper-V on Windows 10 Pro.

You will confirm the problem and you will be free to contact Microsoft if you need to.

The ball is on your side. Please, keep it, and solve the problem.

Regards,

0 Kudos
AGreg9
Beginner

I'm seeing the exact same thing on a Lenovo T490s (20NX) running Windows 10 Enterprise 1909 latests patches and the latest drivers from Lenovo 21.80.2.1 (the problem is also there in 21.50.1.1). It's unlikely a Windows problem since most of the similar problems are caused by drivers. It works fine with a ThinkPad USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter and fine on a older Lenovo using AC 8265. Since this is a company laptop I'm going to file a support request with Microsoft Premier support on Monday to get this solved - since using Hyper-V is a major part of my work.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello Libeccio,

Based on the troubleshooting provided, our recommendation is that you contact Microsoft*.

We will look into this issue, but we cannot guarantee that a different resolution is going to be provided.

Hello AGreg9,

Please start a new thread. We will be glad to look into this issue.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
AGreg9
Beginner

I would love to, but can't add Topics (or so it says when I try to "Ask a Question"

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello Libeccio,

We have sent your feedback to the proper department for review. However, we cannot guarantee that your request is going to be addressed.

We recommend that you report this issue to Microsoft since this seems to be a configuration issue and not a wireless issue.

We will close this case. If you need further assistance with other inquiries, please start a new thread. We will be glad to help you.

Hello AGreg9,

Please start a new thread. Intel Customer Support can move the thread to the proper subforum.

Regards,

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
docjack
Beginner

I can confirm the same problem happens on Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Gen 7 (which comes with Intel Wireless AC 9560 160Mhz). When I create a Virtual Switch with connection type "External network" set to the wireless adapter the speed slows down drastically.

Running  a speed test prior to the settings change showed 400/400Mbps+ up speed and once I enable the virtual switch, speed goes down to around 2/10 Mbps (some times even less).

That's clearly a problem with inter's driver... any news on this issue?

0 Kudos