Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Windows® 10 Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters (Installation Failed)

Spatify
Novice

Hi guys i tried to update my wireless adapters atm but it says installation failed. Anyone know this issue or have a fix thank you

1 Solution
AndrewG_Intel

Hello all

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We would like to inform you that we are currently investigating this behavior. If you need to update the Wireless driver, in the meantime you may try these steps:

1- Download, save, and unzip the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Admins package file to a designated location or folder.

Make sure you are downloading the proper version based on your Operating System. (For instance, for Windows® 10 64bit should download WiFi_21.110.1_Driver64_Win10.zip file):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29787/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins?wapkw=wireless

2- Uninstall the Wi-Fi driver following these steps:

2.1- Uninstall your Wi-Fi driver:

2.1.1- Go to Device Manager.

2.1.2- Expand the Network Adapters category.

2.1.3- Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.

2.1.4- Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.

2.1.5- Repeat steps 2.1.1 through 2.1.5 until the option to Delete the driver software for this device is greyed out.

Note:

Windows* may have an inbox Wi-Fi driver that came preinstalled on your system. These types of drivers can't be uninstalled (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option). Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after performing the uninstall process. The video in the link below provides additional details on inbox drivers:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

2.2- Restart your computer.

3- Manual Driver installation:

3.1- Go to Device manager

3.2- Expand the Network Adapters category

3.3- Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and click on Update

3.4- Click on Browse my computer for driver software

3.5- Click on Browse and look for the unzipped folder downloaded for IT driver in step 1

3.6- Click on Select and Click Next, then Windows® should install the driver.

Please feel free to share the outcome of the steps.

Additional information:

1- If using Intel® Driver and Support Assistance after the installation is done Go and Click on Refresh results to check if the installation was successfully completed. 

2- The update package indicates the installation driver package and the driver version refers to the actual driver for each wireless adapter. For instance, driver package version 21.110.1.1 includes the following: 

• 21.110.1.1 for AX201/AX200/9560/9260/9462/9461 (Only available in 64-bit version)
  • 20.70.18.2 for 8265/8260 (Only available in 64-bit version)
  • 19.51.30.1 for 7265(Rev. D)/3165/3168

Note:

If after updating the driver, those community members that are reporting different issues like Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) errors, performance issues, etc; we kindly recommend to capture all the details and error codes and to either contact Intel® Customer Support directly in your local region within normal business hours using the below link or to submit a new thread since we need to isolate different issues/behaviors:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@11

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

84 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Not ringing any bells so far. We need more information. 

Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows and have it save the report to a file. Then, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

...S

0 Kudos
Spatify
Novice

Hi is this what you ask me? 

0 Kudos
francesm
Beginner

I also have same issue when I tried to install this morning.  Install fails then immediately provides option to Install again.  Reboot and try again makes no difference.  I have had no issues recently so not that important for me to install at present but it would be good if Intel could pick up on this.

msausele
Beginner

Hello

I have the same problem. Not sure if posting the report file results is save regarding IP adresses etc.

0 Kudos
ArnaudS
Beginner
0 Kudos
ArnaudS
Beginner

Same problem for me. System file info attached

0 Kudos
sepp
Novice

Running WiFi_21.110.1_Driver64_Win10.exe does*nt show any action!

0 Kudos
huangxiao
Novice

The programme is actually executing. @sepp 

programme.png

0 Kudos
sepp
Novice

What is the WirelessSetup.exe running twice?

0 Kudos
huangxiao
Novice

I saw the two programmes location, they all in C:\windows\temp directory, that mean they all temporally.

In my opinion, [WiFi_21.110.1_Driver64_Win10.exe] is a decompress programme and the [WirelessSetup.exe] is the real driver installer , [WirelessSetup.exe] get run after they are decompressed to temp folder.

Here is the [ProcessExplorer] show us.

aa.png

0 Kudos
JorisNL
New Contributor I

So you got a workaround to install this update; but it still gives you BSOD's.. Great...

If it was just a wifi add-in-card on my motherboard i would unplug, and use the ethernet plug like i already do, but it is integrated. And to make it worse; I'm not connected to a wifi point.

(Even via device manager -> disable is not working for me.)

Intel pleas fix this asap... 

0 Kudos
JorisNL
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
huangxiao
Novice

What version of windows have you running that ?

0 Kudos
JorisNL
New Contributor I
I'm running 1909 (18363.997)

0 Kudos
BartonUK
Novice

Same here @JorisNL, no pop-up, v 2004 (Build: 19041.388).

0 Kudos
huangxiao
Novice

Well, i have no idea what going on.

sepp
Novice

Did we download a hacked Version?

0 Kudos
sepp
Novice

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-FileHash C:\Users\sepp\Downloads\WiFi_21.110.1_Driver64_Win10.exe -Algorithm md5
Algorithm       Hash                                                                   Path
---------       ----                                                                   ----
MD5             A08BE39F554ECF1009D3F7A333132E5C

WiFi_21.110.1_Driver64_Win10.zip

Windows 10, 64-bit*

Multi language

22.96 MB

4a70913cdc7c3f265b0fa69981b81dfa

0 Kudos
JorisNL
New Contributor I
Hope not; would mean that Intel got hacked, or a large scale man in the middle attack... But I doubt that.

I think this error slipped thought testing, as Intel is scaling down their testing just like Microsoft.
0 Kudos