Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Windows 8.1 OS consistent crash after KB4503276 (Jun 2019) update driven by Bluetooth drivers - when connecting to Microsoft Foldable keyboard upon system start

krzemien
New Contributor II

My Windows 8.1 laptop started crashing upon restart / first connection to Microsoft Foldable Keyboard after KB4503276 installation yesterday.

Roll-back quickly resolves the problem.

OS consistently crashes with SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED indicating bthport.sys as a culprit upon first connection to the keyboard - it does not crash when keyboard is off.

I guess it might be something to do with:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4503276/june-11-2019-kb4503276-os-build-monthly-rollup

Addresses a security vulnerability by intentionally preventing connections between Windows and Bluetooth devices that are not secure and use well-known keys to encrypt connections, including security fobs. If BTHUSB Event 22 in the Event Viewer states, “Your Bluetooth device attempted to establish a debug connection….”, then your system is affected. Contact your Bluetooth device manufacturer to determine if a device update exists. For more information, see CVE-2019-2102 and KB4507623.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4507623/some-bluetooth-devices-may-fail-to-pair-or-connect-after-applying-june

If you experience issues pairing, connecting or using Bluetooth devices after installing any of the affected security updates, please contact the manufacturer of your Bluetooth device to determine if a device update exits.

I’m using fairly recent (20.120.2) driver already @ AC7260 card that otherwise used to perform (and still does) splendidly well:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005489/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Although I note that newer drivers exists for Windows 10 & 7 systems (21.10.1) already.

So, questions:

1. Who's at fault here exactly: INTEL (Bluetooth driver / AC7260 hardware), or Microsoft (Foldable Keyboard hardware)? Microsoft seems implying the former?
  2. And if the former, any plans to release updated drivers for Windows 8.1 / fix / patch this issue soon?

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello krzemien,

Thank you for posting on this Intel Community.

First, we would like to know if the issue occurs when using the latest Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) driver and the update released by Microsoft. Have you tried using the latest OEM driver available for your computer?

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
krzemien
New Contributor II

Hello Warren,

This is exactly what I'm doing - the latest Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) driver available for AC7260 is the one I indicated in my above e-mail.

Please also consider my response below as it crossed your reply unfortunately.

0 Kudos
krzemien
New Contributor II

An update: Rather hesitantly just got this keyboard paired & connected to PC with Windows 10 Home & latest Jun 2019 patch (KB4503327) / 21.10.1 Bluetooth driver installed – and all is good and works as expected. All other Bluetooth devices work as before as well.

So this excludes keyboard (hardware) issue and I have to suspect this either being a problem with KB4503276 (yesterday’s monthly patch for Windows 8.1) or – more likely, it's one version behind already (20.120.2) – Intel Bluetooth driver being at fault.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello krzemien,

Thank you for the update.

If the issue persists when using Windows* 8.1 and the latest OEM driver available for your Intel® Wireless Adapter, we recommend following the recommendations provided by Microsoft*.

It is worth noting that your feedback is highly appreciated. 

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
krzemien
New Contributor II

Hey Warren,

That's exactly what I'm doing:

(...)please contact the manufacturer of your Bluetooth device to determine if a device update exits.

So? Do you plan to check it and get it fixed?

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello krzemien,

We will investigate this issue further and get back to you as soon as possible.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
krzemien
New Contributor II

Thanks for your acknowledgement. Based on my quick (but not comprehensive, for example: I could update the OS and remove / re-pair the keyboard perhaps?) tests I strongly suspect this issue may go away with 21.10.1 (or later) Bluetooth driver release for Windows 8.1 - which currently seems to be one step behind when compared with Windows 7/10 released driver (21.10.1).

And on that note: any particular reasons why Windows 8.1 Bluetooth drivers seem usually lagging behind?

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello krzemien,

First, please allow us to review more information about your system configuration.

1. What is your system model/brand?

2. Please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread.

1. Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application in your computer.

2. Open the application and click "Scan" to see system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".

3. To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
krzemien
New Contributor II

More than happy to supply this, but before I do that - and as a refresher for you - please consider our previous exchange on a very similar subject (and yes, your driver was definitely at fault then).

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490LuaSAE/issues-with-intel-wireless-bluetooth-for-windows-81-version-20600-previous-drivers-are-fine

0 Kudos
krzemien
New Contributor II

Information from SSU enclosed.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello krzemien, 

Thank you for attaching the report requested.

By Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) we mean the drivers provided by your computer manufacturer. According to the report, you have the following system: SVF15A1C5E VAIO® Fit 15.

Are you able to install the latest OEM drivers (Bluetooth) available for your system and Windows* 8.1 and check if the issue persists?

If you are able to install the OEM driver, please document it and post the driver version.

Also, have you checked for Microsoft Foldable keyboard firmware updates?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
krzemien
New Contributor II

Dear Wanner,

OEM part in question that resides within my laptop is a Intel AC7260 card - for which drivers are provided, and this equipment is supported by Intel. Hence the direction of my enquiry.

I use the latest driver available - as per quite comprehensive (I would think?) information I supplied already.

Is there something that requires further explanation as your enquiries seem a bit patchy?

Please therefore concentrate your efforts on digesting information provided to date and resolving the issue rather than using excuses in order to push issue back to customers. You've tried this rather incompetently last time - as per the above link - and you were not correct in both your approach and instructions, as confirmed by the outcome then (updated driver fixed the issue Intel created with previous releases).

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello krzemien,

The thread you are referring to is related to an Intel® Wireless Adapter upgrade, which may cause several issues due to manufacturer limitations, regulatory issues, and driver limitations. 

To obtain more information about what Intel states about Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrades, please take a look at the following support link:

Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade

Having said that, we will be glad to continue assisting you with your initial concern. We have documented the details you have provided on this thread. We will investigate it further and get back to you as soon as we have an update. 

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
krzemien
New Contributor II

Hey Wanner

It's been two weeks - any news your end?

I am still using my laptop with Windows 8.1 May 2019 CU and Intel Bluetooth 20.120.2 driver with no issues at all (no newer Intel driver exists for Windows 8.1 - and that one is nearly 4 months old already as opposed to drivers for other OSs [Windows 7 / 10]).

I did not try anything else either although I'm mindful of Windows 8.1 Jul 2019 CU release date approaching quite quickly.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello krzemien,

Have you checked with Microsoft* if that update is really needed? Otherwise a rollback or system restore is recommended.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
krzemien
New Contributor II

Dear Wanner,

Had you read description of my problem & checked details further accordingly you would have seen that it's a Monthly Rollup that includes both performance and security fixes.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4503276/june-11-2019-kb4503276-os-build-monthly-rollup

There's a new one coming up in July as well and it will include previous patches so I can expect problem returning unless I roll back to May release. Glimpse of this patch is here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4503283/windows-8-1-update-kb4503283

So yes, it's not an optional or recommended patch, it's an important one and should definitely be present on my laptop.

I sincerely assume that you are familiar with Microsoft patch releases for their various OSs, their cadence etc. - if not, just let me know and pass me to somebody your end who is to make this dialogue is worthwhile.

Otherwise I must say that I find your above contribution rather superfluous and redundant.

Can you however answer the very simple question I keep asking and you keep ignoring: why 21.10.1 (or anything newer than 20.120.2) Bluetooth driver for Windows 8.1 has not been released yet?

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello krzemien, 

Intel Customer Support is not allowed to comment on unreleased information about Intel products or driver updates. We recommend continue checking our Download Center for driver updates.

Thank you for your response. We will update this thread soon.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello krzemien, 

Based on the information documented, this problem is an operating system-related issue. For this reason, the support is limited.

We recommend you to perform a clean install of Windows* and install the updates recommended by Microsoft*. However, our final recommendation is that you can contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) of your computer, SONY VAIO SVF15A1C5E Fit 15, for further support.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
krzemien
New Contributor II

Dear Wanner,

Thank you very much for updating this thread.

As with our previous little encounter, you are giving me yet again very bad advice.

FYI #1: The OS on this laptop is 6 years old and although I encountered few less stable moments that I invariably created myself, there was never a need to perform clean install of Windows. Also, I never do reinstall Windows as a rule - there's not need for it, if one knows what one does (and I do).

FYI #2: Your Windows 8.1 driver for your very own AC-7260 card is now 4 months old and visibly behind the other available drivers. I bet that there's a relation between Bluetooth vulnerabilities that have been patched with the above-mentioned OS release, and this driver. Which originally led me to this enquiry here.

FYI #3: Laptop works absolutely fine - I use it now as we speak - but with Winnows 8.1 June 2019 OS patch uninstalled. Therefore SONY obviously has nothing to do with it and one can definitely exclude any hardware or software misconfiguration (notabene: my current uptime is 16.5 days).

FYI #4: I'm not IT rookie.

I shall update this thread when issue get fixed - and I daresay (mimicking exactly previous encounter yet again) this will happen when newer Windows 8.1 Bluetooth driver for AC-7260 becomes available.

When this happens though, one will have to reflect and start asking questions whether you're really the right man for the services you are performing Under Contract to Intel Corporation.

0 Kudos