Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Wireless 7260 Soft AP Mode Disconnects

JMill46
Beginner

I have a 7260 chip in my machine and my goal is to set it up as a soft ap in order to connect to it via mobile devices. I have a VNC server running and I would like to connect to it with an Android device. Currently I have this machine setup with the wireless device in Ad-hoc mode and I can connect to it with a laptop or an apple device. In order to get Android devices to work though I need to switch it to Soft AP mode instead. I have done this by created a hosted network. I can see the AP on both Android and Apple devices, but it appears that the range is very short, as in I have to place the device directly on top of the wireless antenna. Even at such close proximity I am seeing a connection authentication and attempts to acquire an IP address from the AP and then it disconnects and starts the whole cycle over again. Sometimes I can get an IP address, but it drops within a second. I've testing this whole connection on a different machine with a different wireless card and it works flawlessly. I have updated the drivers to the latest with no change in results. Are there any settings in particular that I need to configure?

Thanks,

Jonathan

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

jonmiller,

Intel® Wireless Adapters are not designed to be used as an AP (Access Point) so we cannot guarantee it will work. However, you can use WiFi Direct* up to 8 devices only.

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
JMill46
Beginner

Ok, that's interesting to hear. How can I configure it to use WiFi Direct instead? I'm using this on Windows 7 by the way.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

jonmiller,

The usage depend on how you intend to use it and on the OS version as it manages this connection, for example, if you want to use a printer, you need to check that directly on the printer software installed and see what functions are available.

The wireless adapter has WiFi Direct* capabilities but it is entirely on the OS on how to handle it so, in this case, Microsoft* would be the best option to provide the details. Please, check this link for further information: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn457945(v=vs.85).aspx Using the Wi-Fi Direct* functions

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
JMill46
Beginner

Aleki,

I want to establish a VNC connection between the host machine and a wireless device so that I can control and configure the host machine from the wireless device.

Thanks,

Jonathan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

jonmiller,

In this particular case, we recommend to check for additional support through VNC* as this depends on the tool that will be used. For your convenience, here is the link to it: https://www.realvnc.com/docs/faq/ VNC Support

There is an option in this link where you can chat with an expert on this subject.

Best regard,

Aleki

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

jonmiller,

We received confirmation from VNC* that using it through WiFi Direct is unlikely to work. However, in order for the connection to be established, it would require that TCP and UDP protocols are directed to a specific IP address which is usually allocated by the access point. Without this, the connection cannot be relayed to the correct address.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
JMill46
Beginner

Aleki,

I'm familiar with VNC and you are correct that it needs an established connection between both devices in order to work. I'm not familiar with WiFi Direct but judging by your response I assume that there is no connection established in that setup. I can accomplish what I need with the 7260 by creating an ad-hoc connection, however android devices do not recognize ad-hoc connections and much utilize an ap mode connection. I have an Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN in a different machine that I can create the connection in ap mode flawlessly. Using a different card though is not possible as this is an established product and I can't change the card. I believe this is a driver issue and I was hoping that I would be able to speak with an engineer that's able to work with me on the drivers. We use this same card in a different product that runs linux and they have the same issues that I'm describing as connection drops rapidly and frequently. Further investigations revealed that the card receives unknown messages during the connection handshake and disconnects. They were able to modify the drivers to ignore the unknown commands and avoid the disconnect in order to get around this problem. Although it's not ideal, it's a workaround. We do not have that capability in windows, unless you're able to give me the driver source code So based on the fact that it works on a different card that Intel creates, the fact that it doesn't work on the 7260 across two different OS's, the fact that ignoring the unknown commands in linux allows it to work, clearly to me states that there's a bug in the drivers/firmware of the card in which those commands are treated as unknown when they should be handled. If you're able to put me in contact with an engineer, provide me with driver source code, or ideally a driver/firmware update that corrects the issue that would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

jonmiller,

Android*-based devices use different protocols for this kind connection and that is the reason they don't recognize ad-hoc. The Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 was not designed for this type of infrastructure. As for WiFi-Direct* you can check this link: http://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi/wi-fi-direct What is WiFi-Direct*

When you have a chance, please check your private message inbox.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

jonmiller,

We haven't heard from you in a while so we would like to know if there is anything else we can do for you. Please let us know as soon as you can.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
JMill46
Beginner

Aleki,

No actually I am still waiting for a reply since our last conversation.

Thanks,

Jonathan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

jonmiller,

Unfortunately, this functionality is not supported on Intel® Wireless Adapters. We have informed our engineering department of your input. At this time, we have no information if this feature will be incorporated to our adapters.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos