Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Wireless AC 3165 on my Dell Inspiron 5378 goes for 3 minutes and then get slow and ,at the same time, blocked the connectivity of my other devices( iphone, tablet, ipad...). How can i fix it?

EBell1
Beginner

Wireless AC 3165 on my new Dell Inspiron 5378 goes for 3 minutes and then get slow ( it change from 600 kb/s to 4 kb/s). At the same time it blocked the connectivity of my other devices ( Iphone, Tablet, Ipad....). If I disconnect and reconnect it goes well for 2 minutes and again started to go slow.

How can i fix it?

I buyed this laptop just few weeks ago and it has immediatly have this problem!

Sorry for my english,

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello eliabelle,

Thank you for your question.

We understand you have recently purchased a laptop featuring the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165, and ever since you have been experiencing connectivity issues that extend to all your wireless devices.

We've had one similar report in the past, but the issue turned out to be caused by an older router that became overwhelmed by having too many devices hooking up to it at once.

In order to better assist you, we would like make some initial suggestions, and get some more information.

1. What is the brand and model of your wireless router?

2. Does this issue happen when you're connected to any other networks other than your home wifi?

3. Let's make sure that you're running the latest wireless driver, you can find the latest one published by Dell* here: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=HK6GP&fileId=3588207603&osCode=WT64A&productCode=inspiron-13-5378-2-in-1-laptop&languageCode=en&categoryId=NI Support for Inspiron* 13 5378 2-in-1.

4. Apply the configuration from the following advisory: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005544.html Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity.

5. Download https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility, run the tool and use it to create then save a report with all sections. Then add your reply to this thread and use the Advanced editor options (top right corner) to attach the resulting XML file to your post.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
EBell1
Beginner

Hi,

Thank you very much for your answer.

1.Yes, i also thinked that could be a problem of the router so i bought a new one ( Netgear D3600 ), but the problem still exists!

2. I tried to connect my pc to others networks and it goes fine but a little slow. So I think that the problem was my home connection but i have an other pc (macbookpro) , a samsung tablet and 2 iphones and they are going to internet very well.

My connection is called NGI F5 (it's a ADSL ) with this parameters:

• Protocol Of Trasmission : PPPoA (PPP over ATM) or PPPoE ( PPP over Ethernet:RFC 2684 or RFC 1483 bridged )

• Encapsulation: LLC/SNAP or MUX;
  • VPI: 8
  • VCI: 35
  • Authentication: PAP
  • IP Address e DNS: assigned by the server
  • DNS primary: 88.149.128.12
  • DNS secondary: 88.149.128.22
  • DNS tertiary: 81.31.148.244

I really don't know what this things mean!

3. I can't try the connection with a ethernet cable because this pc doesn't have the network card

4. I contact Dell support and they suggested me to re-install Windows 10 so they then could pick up the pc in their labs ( but the pc is working well with others networks )

5. I've installed the last driver for my pc and i apply the reccomended settings for 802.11n Connectivity

6. I attach the report.

Thanks a lot,

Elia B.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

eliabelle,

We understand the issue is still ongoing. However, after upgrading your wireless router, the issue does no longer extend to the other devices correct?

There are still a couple of things you can do before having to reinstall your operating system, specially considering that this computer is able to connect to other wireless networks and perform well.

1. Make sure that the firmware on your router is up to date.

2. In the Control Panel > Power Options, set your system to High Performance. Let us know if this improves your connectivity.

3. If you're using the 2.4GHz Wireless band, you could switch over to 5GHz. The 5GHz band has less radio interference, but any wall or furniture in between your router and the laptop will weaken the signal.

4. Please run the System Support Utility again, while connected to the problematic network.

Note: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel®. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
EBell1
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

thanks for your kind reply.

This issue had never affected other devices.

The speed in download starts from 600 kbsp and goes down to 4,0-4,4-8,4kbps and stayed around these speeds (the other devices wheren't working) until I switch off the wifi button on my pc. Then when I turn on the wifi on the pc ( not from the router) again it works for 2 minutes as before and then it slows down.

Today I've experienced troubles with another connection( in this case the problem was speed ) the connection slowed down and I wasn't able to connect with other devices.

Just turning off the wifi on my pc solved the problem: all the devices suddenly started to work a again 

It's so strange. I've called the provider of my connection and on his side the connection is fine. (in fact when the wifi of this pc is off other devices are connected properly to the internet).

Following your advice:

I set my system on high performance and I switch off the option "energy saving" of the the wifi card "allow computer to turn off the device in order to save energy".

In addiction also the new router that I bought is dual band so I tried to connected to the 5ghz band for leaving the 2,4 netword ghz for other devices but the problem is still the same.

Here attached you may find the report

Thank you very much,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello eliabelle,

After some of the latest Windows® 10 updates we in some cases have received reports of issues with the proset. Let's try completely removing your current driver, then installing the wireless driver without the Intel® PROSet software.

This is what you will need to do:

1. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26469 Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Admins, 19.20.3. Windows® 10 64-bit: Wireless_19.20.3_Driver64_Win10.zip

2. Extract the contents of the zip file to a known location in your hard drive.

3. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software". When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

4. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

5. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

6. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows Key + R to open the run box. Type "Cleanmgr.exe". Press OK. Select the main drive, usually "C:\". Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK.

7. Go to Device Manager and locate the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 (it show as an unknown device at this point), select the option to install the driver and browse to the location where you extracted the driver files.

You will need to apply the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005544.html recommended settings again after all this.

Hopefully this should resolve your issue, but if it doesn't please let us know and we will look for alternate solutions.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
EBell1
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

thanks for your kind help.

I tried several times to uninstall the driver... beside the first attemp, nothing changed. There was the new driver, then an older one and then I tried so many times to remove it (twelve times at least and reboot) but I failed.

What should I do?

Here I attacched some information about the driver, I'll hope you understand something because they are in Italian

Please let me know.

Many thanks.

Elia B.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello eliabelle,

I forgot to mention, sometimes this happens in Windows® 10. At that point, if you'd like, you can test your connection, see if it works better. If it does not, you may continue with steps 6 and 7.

Kind regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello eliabelle,

We're following up on your thread since we have not heard back from you.

Has your issue been resolved? We look forward to hearing back from you.

Kind regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
EBell1
Beginner

Hello Carlos,

I'm so sorry but i have had to sent the pc to Dell and it has returned only yesterdayl

They reinstalled Windows 10 and the BIOS and now it seems to work!

Many thanks for your support!

Kind regards,

Elia B.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello eliabelle,

We're glad to hear that your issue has been resolved.

Should you have any more issues, just let us know. We're always glad to help.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos