Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Wireless AC 3165 on my Lenovo Ideapad510S-14IKB will connect only 150 Mbit/s.

PMala5
Beginner

Hello

Wireless AC 3165 on my Lenovo Ideapad510S-14IKB will connect only 150 Mbit/s. Driver version is 19.20.3.4. My router supports speed up to 300 Mbit/s.

In the Adapter Settings option is missing "802.11n mode".

How can to fix it?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello klinec74,

We always recommend using the wireless drivers provided by your computer manufacturer. Wireless adapters are modified and their features are often customized by your OEM when they integrate them into your system. Our generic drivers do not take any of this into account.

We understand that if your computer manufacturer does not provide drivers for your Windows* version, that would leave our generic drivers as your only choice. Which in the end may be the reason why you're missing features. All the same, in a best efford basis we can make the following recommendations to improve your adapter's performance:

1. Turn off the power saving functions can cause unexpected disconnecting, sudden connections speed drops, and keep the adapter from working at its maximum performance:

- Go to control panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Set to High Performance and apply the default settings.

- Check the Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings > Wireless Adapter > Power Saving Mode and make sure both "On battery" and "Plugged in" are set to Maximum performance.

2. Apply our recommend settings for wireless connectivity:

- Right click on Windows Icon and choose Device manager > Network Adapters > Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 > Right click and select Properties.

- Under the Advanced tab:

- Set the 802.11n Channel Width for 2.4GHz to 20MHz only

- Set the 802.11n Channel Width for 5.2 to Auto

- Set the value of u-SPDA support to disabled.

- Check value of transmit power and make sure it is set to 5. Highest.

- Set the HT mode to VHT mode

- Set the Wireless Mode, example : We recommend setting this to 802.11ac, 802.11b/g/n, or 802.11a/b/g (if available, in that order).

- Set the value of Roaming Aggressiveness to Lowest.

- Set the value of Ad Hoc QoS Mode to WMM disabled

- If there no Bluetooth devices to be connected to your computer, turn it off because the wireless and Bluetooth* combo share the same wireless connection and antenna so turning off the Bluetooth can let the wireless connection has the entire usage of bandwidth and the antenna. Also, by turning off the Bluetooth*, it will help to decrease signal interference.

- Under the Power Management tab:

- Toggle the option to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

3. If after this you still feel that your wireless adapter is not performing like it should, please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility. This application will scan your system and create a report. Please attach this report to your thread using the advanced editor (top right hand corner of the text editor when posting your response).

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
PMala5
Beginner

I used the drivers from the manufacturer but the connection speed was only max. 150 Mbit/s.

I have tried adjust the settings of your WIFI recommendations but the rate dropped to 65 Mbit/s.

Attached a report with the Intel® System Support Utility.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello klinec74,

As per the report you've posted, we can see that your adapter is currently using 802.11n. However, I can also see the drastically low connection speed.

In this case, we recommend for you to use the "Drivers only" package (does not include PROset software). The process is very similar to the one used for the regular clean installation of drivers:

1. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26469 Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Admins, 19.20.3. Windows® 10 64-bit: Wireless_19.20.3_Driver64_Win10.zip

2. Extract the contents of the zip file to a known location in your drive.

3. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software". When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

4. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

5. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

6. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe. Press OK. Select the main drive, usually C:\. Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK.

7. Go to Device Manager and locate the 3165 (it may be an unknown device), select the option to install the driver and browse to the location where you extracted the driver files.

It is worth to mention that we've had reports of third party apps causing this behavior (Network monitoring software, VPN clients, video streaming apps, antivirus). You might want to check your installed programs, and try disabling or uninstalling the ones that might affect your network connections.

If the issue persists, please let us know so we may look for alternate troubleshooting steps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
PMala5
Beginner

Hello Carlos

I tried updating drivers based on your description. The problem still persists.

Thank you for further advice.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello klinec74,

At this point, while we could make a few more suggestions, they would be more on the drastic side. For example:

- Disable or uninstall your antivirus.

- Uninstall any third party networking software, such as your VPN manager.

- Reinstall your operating system.

Although at this point I would strongly recommend contacting your computer manufacturer (Lenovo*). It's worth considering that perhaps one or both of your wireless antennas may have come loose or unplugged, or that perhaps your wireless adapter may need to be replaced. As it may be defective, or it may have become damaged.

- http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html Computer Manufacturer Support Websites.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

0 Kudos
PMala5
Beginner

Hello

I checked the antenna connection. Both have connected. See attached.

Lenovo support I have already contacted. Unfortunately, it is very weak :-(.

Thank you

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

klinec74,

When did this issue begin?

If it's a recent issue, perhaps we may suggest performing a system restore to a previous available date when your adapter wasn't acting up.

- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options Recovery options in Windows® 10. (see "Restore from a system restore point", or "Reset this PC"

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

klinec74,

We're following up on your thread since we have not heard back from you. Have you resolved the issue already?

You may find this external article helpful:

- https://www.lifewire.com/get-300-mbps-speed-on-802-11n-network-818267 How Can I Get 300 Mbps (or Higher) Speed on My 802.11n Network?

Note: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

0 Kudos
PMala5
Beginner

Hello Carlos

The problem is not solved. I tried to reinstall windows but it did not work.

I tried to connect and any other WiFi router. The connection speed has been 250 Mbit/s.

The problem will probably be in communication router and wireless network cards in PCs. I have a router TP-LINK WR1043ND and that supports connection speeds up to 300 Mbit/s Channel Width 20 MHz - 40 MHz. WIFI card in PC probably only supports Channel Width 20 MHz.

On the second PC (DELL) I have a wifi card Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 and it is the connection speed of 300 Mbit / s. The card settings option is 802.11n Mode - Enabled.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry for my english.

Klinec74

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello klinec74,

The http:// http//www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/dual-band-wireless-ac-3165-brief.pdf Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 is a 1x1 adapter.

The highest speed you will be able to achieve while connecting to a Wireless-N router will be 150Mbps. To be able to reach 300Mbps, your adapter would need to be a 2x2 adapter. However, if you were to switch to a Wireless-AC router, you would be able to reach the 433 Mbps mark (or close to).

- http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/pdf/next-gen-80211ac-wifi-for-dummies.pdf Next-Gen 802.11ac Wi-Fi For Dummies (Page 16, Table 2-2).

In your case we can recommend the following:

- Set the 802.11n Channel Width for 2.4GHz back to Auto.

- Set the HT mode to HT (VHT = 802.11ac).

We hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Klinec74,

We're following up on your thread since we have not heard back from you in a while.

We hope your issue has been resolved, or at least clarified. If you need further assistance, just let us know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
PMala5
Beginner

The problem was clarified.

Thanks for your help.

Klinec74

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Klinec74,

If you have any further issues, we're always here to help.

Kind regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos