Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7438 Discussions

Wireless-AC 3165 only reaches 180Mbps instead of 433Mbps as in official specification

hustle
Novice

Hi,

I'm using a thinkpad E560 with Wireless-AC 3165, Win10 20H2 and have updated wireless driver to most recent from thinkpad support site.

The connection plan is 500Mbps, my router model is Honor X3 1300ac, so I expect the speed on my laptop should be close to 433Mbps as officially specified in this link.

However speedtest only shows download speed around 180M (pls see attached).

Also checked internet connection from router side that it does reach 500Mbps.

To make things simple, my laptop is beside the router and it's the only device connected with router now, SSU report also attached.

I wonder what could be done to restore the download speed to the specified 433Mbps on my laptop?

Thanks much

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Can you verify that it is using 5GHz band and not just 2.4GHz band?
...S
0 Kudos
hustle
Novice

Thank you for the advice.

I can see from my router management interface that my laptop is on 5G band stably. (I tried connect an old phone to the LAN and the phone only supports 802.11g, then I can see the phone is on 2.4G band which is different from the laptop)

Also, by right click on the wireless adapter in "network connection" window and choose "status", it shows the connection speed is 433Mbps which makes me believe it's on 5G. (although the real speed is 180Mbps as in the title)

Do you have suggestions what should be investigated next step?

Regards.

0 Kudos
hustle
Novice

To make sure, I made a clean installation of most recent wireless network adapter driver from Thinkpad support site.

After restarting laptop, problem persists.

And internet speed on laptop even drops to 140Mbps...

SSU report after clean installation is attached.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello hustle, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

Based on your reports, I would like you to try the following:

1. If possible, update the BIOS version. You may need to contact the laptop manufacturer.

2. Try a clean installation of the Intel drivers (wifi and Bluetooth):

- Wi-Fi: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30279/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?v=t

- Bluetooth: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30326/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10?v=t

- Steps: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/wireless/intel-wireless-gigabit-products.html

3. Ran all Windows updates, including the optional.

4. Get in contact with the laptop manufacturer to check for any malfunction with the unit.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello hustle,  

Were you able to check the previous post and try the steps? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello hustle,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos