Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Wireless-AC 3168 enhance download speed

321stefan
Beginner

Hello,

My notebook is connected by 5 GHz on Channel 44 to a FRITZ!Repeater1200 (max. 866 Mbit/s) which provides 280 Mbit/s from the Router.

When I measure the download speed I usually get 100 MBit/s, maximal 120 MBit/s.

The energy setting of the network device is on maximum.

I use the suggested device settings https://www.intel.de/content/www/de/de/support/articles/000024678/network-and-io/wireless.html

Notebook is a Acer Aspire A515-51G with Windows10 ver2004.

Since the network device can communicate with 433 MBit/s I would assume that a download rate of 50 % should be possible.

Any chance to enhance the download speed?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @321stefan

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Considering that you have already checked the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity, could you please provide the following information in order to check this further?

1- Is the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 the original wireless adapter that came pre-installed in your system or did you integrate/replace it?

2- How are you measuring the download speed? Is the download speed regarding Internet connection or have you tested the speed in the local network (LAN)? Could you please provide more details and some screenshots?

3- What is the Internet Speed plan that you have?

4- Have you checked if the behavior is different testing only the laptop and the router? (no other wireless devices connected to the wireless network during this test).

5- Have you tried a different router or Access point for testing purposes? Or have you tested other devices with this router? What is the behavior?

6- Did it work as expected before at any time? If yes, was there any new Windows update or Wireless/Bluetooth driver update related to the point when the behavior changed?

7- Please provide the following details about the Notebook:

8- How far are you from the router? Are there any objects/walls blocking a straight sight to the device or anything that may cause interference (e.g. wireless phones, microwaves, etc.)?

9- Are you running in this computer any virtual machine(s)? (any hypervisor software installed and enabled?).

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
321stefan
Beginner

Dear Andrew,

thanks a lot for the quick response.

1. Yes, it was pre-installed

2. I measured the download speed with: https://speedtest.vodafone.de/

With the PC I achieve up to 120 MBit/s, see in the attachment 103 MBit/s

PC.JPGPC2.JPG

With my Phone I achive up to 180 (fluctuates between 100 and 180), see 178 in the attachment

phone.jpg

When I connect the PC by LAN to the Router, I achieve 280 MBit/s

3. 250 MBit/s

4. Always just one appliance connected when testing

5. The other WiFi routers I've got are only able to deliver 100 MBit/s, therefore no sense to test them. In the attachement you can see how PC and phone are connected to the FRITZ-WiFi(WLAN)-repeater which is connected to the LAN-router by LAN-bridge

Unbenannt.JPG

6. I just got the 250MBit/s connection recently, earlier I just had 25 Mbit/s

7. BIOS: ACRSYS - 0 V1.06 INSYDE Corp. - 56461106

WiFi:
Protokoll: Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
Sicherheitstyp: WPA2-Personal
Netzfrequenzbereich: 5 GHz
Netzwerkkanal: 52
Verbindungsgeschwindigkeit (Empfang/Übertragung): 433/433 (Mbps)
Hersteller: Intel Corporation
Beschreibung: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168
Treiberversion: 19.51.15.3

8. 2 m without obsticles

9. no

best regards, Stefan

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @321stefan

Thank you very much for all the information provided. Please allow us to check this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @321stefan

Thank you for your patience in this matter. We are still working on this and we would like you to confirm the following details:

1- We understood that the other routers that you have "are only able to deliver 100 MBit/s". By any chance are you able to test with a different network? (maybe in a different place to see if the behavior is the same).

2- Have you tried to upgrade the router/repeater firmware? You can also try a different channel. We recommend checking with the router/repeater manufacturer for guidance with this task.

3- We understood that you just got the 250MBit/s connection recently. Were there any recent changes to OS upgrades at that time that might be related to the behavior?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
321stefan
Beginner

Hello Andrew,

thanks for repeating again.

1. Unfortunately not in the near future. If i get the chance, I will check it.

2. Yes, up to date software and different channels did not influence it.

3. Couple of automatic windows updates since my post, no effect.

Best regards,

Stefan

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello 321stefan

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello 321stefan

Thank you very much for those details.

Please allow us to review this further and we will be posting more details as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @321stefan

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further, our recommendation is to check this with the computer manufacturer OEM for further assistance. For instance, they can assist to check and make sure the antennas and connectors are fine and also to perform other physical tests. At this point, the best thing to do is to continue working with your OEM. Here is the Acer* Support link.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this inquiry now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos