Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Wireless AC 7260 constantly dropping connectivity.

TMart14
Beginner

Hello all...

So I've always had an issue of my wireless card dropping coverage, it's been an ongoing issue of terrible service from Cox and the card itself being flawed, which is why I assume it's been discontinued.

Anyways.

The card will just randomly drop connection and stop showing open connections in the area until I disable and re-enable the device.

I have a Lenovo Y50-70 (No Touch) Laptop with windows 10 v1803, Intel Wireless AC 7260 with driver v18.12.0.3.

I read that there is a fix with rolling back to an older version of the driver but I'm not sure if that works for Win 1803 and I am at the rolled back version already with the rollback driver option greyed out.

I've re-configured the router and modem and no other signals in the area are interfering and I'm well within the coverage range for the device and I know it's not the router because I'll check my phone's connection when it happens and there's no issues with the internet on my phone.

Please help.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello NightSquirrel,

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

I understand that your system loses connectivity and stops showing available networks. I would like to assist you.

I notice that you have the latest driver provided by your system manufacturer, which is good. I wonder if you have verified the power management settings for your Intel® Wireless adapter. This can affect the overall performance of your system.

Please check the following support link to find out how you can change the Power Management options. For testing purposes, you can select Maximum Performance (if it applies).

Setting Power Management for Intel® Wireless Adapters

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005879/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Wanner G.
TMart14
Beginner

Thanks for the response, Wanner.

Yes, I have already gone through all of those steps, the settings are set to favor maximum performance and I disabled turning the device off to save power.

I have surveyed the networks around me to make sure no other signals interfere with mine and they don't.

The router and modem are in working order, I have no other issues with connectivity on any other devices.

I have seen A LOT of issues with this adapter around the internet though.

Should I just cut my losses and buy a new adapter?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello NightSquirrel,

Thank you for your reply.

Because you have a laptop, I would like to add that upgrading laptop components may cause system instability. We do not recommend installing or upgrading the various Intel® Wireless Adapters. Please refer to the following support links:

-https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade

-https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005846/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Why Doesn't My Laptop Recognize My New Intel® Wireless Adapter?

Our recommendation is that you can also test the latest Intel driver for your Intel® Wireless Adapter.

Option 1. You can perform a clean install of the wireless driver and install the latest version available at our Download Center.

-https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers

-https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27989/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=75439 Version 20.70.0

Option 2. You can use the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant.

-https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA).

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello NightSquirrel,

Were you able to perform the clean installation of the wireless driver?

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
TMart14
Beginner

I've tried.

Every time I uninstall it, it just reinstalls itself. I have Revo Uninstaller and I uninstalled the original driver pack, followed all of the directions from the links you provided, the card still lags out and either needs to manually be rebooted or reboots itself.

I ran the "Diagnose this Device" option in Windows and it keeps saying it might be an issue with the driver.

The steps I am doing in this order,

1. Uninstall Intel ProSet Tools via Revo Uninstaller, Discard Settings in the Uninstall Wizard, scan and delete out any files that remain, wifi availability immediately pops up after uninstall, ProSet Tools not installed.

2. Uninstall Driver (No longer gives me the option to delete out the driver package, it did on the first try) via Device Manager (no wifi availability until restart, then immediately available again).

3. Clean Temp Files via Windows+R, cleanmgr, delete Temp Files.

4. Reboot.

5. As mentioned above, wifi availability already available, Driver already installed, current version.

6. Install Intel ProSet Tools.

7. Reboot.

8. Get online or start gaming, system lags, wifi card needs to be rebooted.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello NightSquirrel,

Thank you for trying out the steps provided above.

Because your system has experienced this issue for some time now, it seems that you may need to contact your system manufacturer since it could be a hardware issue.

Keep in mind that you have tried troubleshooting it by installing both the driver provided by your system manufacturer and the Intel Wireless driver. Besides, no other device shows this behavior, which sheds light on what the cause of this issue could be.

Please contact your system manufacturer to verify if they have dealt with this issue before. If not, they can attempt to replicate it and provide further steps. If you decide to upgrade your wireless adapter, make sure you can get advice from Lenovo*.

I hope this information helps.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
TMart14
Beginner

I didn't see the reply and I tried switching the deletion order.

I deleted out the driver first then ProSet.

The original driver (the one which I used Revo to uninstall earlier) installed itself and is staying at version 17.15.0.5.

I have not yet installed the ProSet software, but I ran a speed test and I'm getting full speeds and stable internet, for the time being.

I'm about to game and see if it holds up.

0 Kudos
PReag
Beginner

I've been through this same issue. I'm cutting my losses and installing a different adapter.

The Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 is not supported by Intel and the proset driver they provide obviously has bugs.

0 Kudos
TMart14
Beginner

I have been playing for 3 hours with almost no lag (the game I was playing has its own lag sometimes and I think that was the only lag I experienced) and not a single wifi adapter restart happened.

Intel Wireless Driver v17.15.0.5 - 2/22/2015, stored in sys32\DRIVERS\Netwbw02.sys.

No Intel ProSet software installed.

The driver currently being used on its own was the one I mentioned in the rollback trick in the OP.

I don't know why but this was the only driver that I haven't had any issues with in my history of owning this computer.

Will there be any consequences for not having ProSet software installed?

And how do I make sure the wireless adapter never updates if this is a permanent fix?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello NightSquirrel,

I am glad to hear that there is a workaround for this problem. This means that you may need to report this issue to your system manufacturer if you would like to update the Intel wireless driver in the near future.

Regarding your question about the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers, you can continue using this version 17.15.0.5. If your system does not experience any other issue, then there is no need to install this software package.

Besides, to disable the Windows* automatic update feature, make sure you contact Microsoft* to get accurate information about this process.

I hope this information helps.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
RSerm
Beginner

I started having the same problem about 4 months ago. It slowly got worse.

Dell XPS-12 9Q33

Intel i7-4500U

8.00gb RAM

Windows 10 Home Version 1803 Build 17134.407

Intel AC 7260 Dual Band Wireless

Uninstalled device, software & settings

Clean installs of current AC 7260 driver

BIOS is up to date

Worked with Dell technical support - no solution.

Occasionally get BSOD - Bug Check 0x0000009F DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

I'm unable to understand the detail in the kernel debugging software.

Event viewer also shows lots of Kernel-Processor-Power warnings that appear to also be reflected in the MEMORY.DMP

Rolled back to an Intel 18.33 -- driver version but had same problems.

I finally reverted to the Microsoft Driver 17.15.0.5 and it works fine, however, Mobile hotspot does not work.

Given the many threads on this topic, it appears there is some incompatibility between something in the current version of Windows 10 and the driver.

Intel's help to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated. I will be glad to provide any information to determine the problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SermonsRE,

We apologize for any inconvenience. Please submit a new thread since we handle every case individually and every scenario is different even if the same product is being used. The next agent will be able to further assist you on this matter.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
YCha0
Beginner

I think that I've solved the issue for me.

I have experienced same issue with intel wireless ac 7260 repeatedly losing its wifi connectivity.

1. Go to "Device Manager" -> "Display adapters" -> "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260"
  2. Right click to open "Properties"
  3. Click the last tab ("Power Management")
  4. Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", and then click "OK"
0 Kudos
YCha0
Beginner

I think that I've solved the issue for me.

I have experienced same issue with intel wireless ac 7260 repeatedly losing its wifi connectivity.

Go to "Device Manager" -> "Display adapters" -> "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260"

Right click to open "Properties"

Click the last tab ("Power Management")

Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", and then click "OK"

0 Kudos