Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7438 Discussions

Wireless-AC 7265 5GHz not working in windows 8.1

JBerg14
Novice

Hello

Running Windows 8.1 (x64), tried drivers 17.13.11 and 17.1.0. The problem is, i cannot see any 5GHz networks using windows list of wifi networks or SSID scan tool (inSSIDer). I can see multiple SSID's including my own on the 5GHz band on my other devices. I just got the 7265 card yesterday.

I have tried a bunch of things, including a fresh install of windows and the stuff in the support section on intel website (adapter settings for optimal performance etc). Nothing works!

netsh says my card has "802.11a" and "802.11ac" capability in windows, which seems fine.

It almost seems like there is something turning off the 5GHz radio on the card in windows.

Since the card is new, i thought there might be a hardware issue, i.e. 5GHz radio broken.

However i tried booting from a linux live USB stick, in this environment i can see 5GHz networks, i can connect to my own 5GHz network and i get AC link rates (400-800mbit) and high transfer speeds (100mbit+). This was on ubuntu 14.04LTS. So there should be no hardware failure or hardware incompatibility issue.

Anyone have any tips? Is there any kind of power saving mechanism (or similar) in windows that's capable of turning off only the 5GHz radio? The 2.4GHz radio works fine.

67 Replies
APopo3
Novice

Same problem with Wireless-AC 7265 - no 5GHz network on latest Intel drivers (tried 17.13 and 17.16). Rolling back to 17.0 resolved the issue - now I see 5GHz networks and AC speeds. But it will be much better if we can use the latest drivers... By the way - the required screenshot in my case (I have a Russian language Windows 8.1):

Another information (may be it will help): yesterday I tried Wireless-AC 7260 (earlier Wireless AC adapter model from Intel) - no problem at all, with latest driver (17.16) it sees 5GHz without any problem. So, the problem relates only to 7265.

0 Kudos
MFloc
Beginner

I also have this problem with my 7265 adapter. It was pre-installed in a new notebook (Clevo P650SE). The older driver causes an bluescreen during the installation, and I can only boot into safe mode to remove it. The download page also says its only for Win8 and NOT 8.1! I also tried it with a Ubuntu 14.04 live CD but there are also only 2.4GHz networks visible.

The adapter is also only shown as Wireless-N. Can someone tell me, if the HW IDs are correct, or if they installed the wrong adapter in my device?

0 Kudos
APopo3
Novice

Are you sure that you have Wireless-AC Dual Band 7265? There is a single band Wireless-N version of this adapter and it looks like just this version is preinstalled to your laptop. In this case you will see only 2.4 GHz network and should not expect to see 5 GHz.

0 Kudos
MFloc
Beginner

Yeah, thats why I hope somebody can check the IDs. Because I ordered the dual band AC and they tell me I should have the right one...

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Mav3ric,

According to the hardware, this is actually a Intel® Wireless-N 7265. You will need to contact your PoP for assistance.

0 Kudos
APopo3
Novice

Any clue about the initial problem? Of course, I can live with 17.0 version of driver, but it will be better if we can use the newest versions of driver.

0 Kudos
MFloc
Beginner

Ok, so my vendor actually found out he got the the wrong chips after all. I now got a correct one (dualband AC) and with the latest driver (17.16.0.4) everything works fine. 5GHz networks are there and work

I have not tested any old drivers.

0 Kudos
MRams2
Beginner

Can you post a screenshot of the hardware ID on the replacement adapter? Just want to compare it to what I have.

0 Kudos
MFloc
Beginner

Sure, here you go:

0 Kudos
MRams2
Beginner

Weird, mine shows Rev 12 like Popoval's pic above. You said you're running 17.16.0.4 and can see both AC and G bands? I'm on 17.0.0.34. Anything higher and I lose AC bands.

0 Kudos
MFloc
Beginner

Yes, I have tested 5GHz AC and N and 2,4GHz b/g and N with Win 8.1 64bit. Maybe you should try and get a replacement? Could be that intel had a faulty revision.

0 Kudos
EHodg1
Beginner

I had the problem of no 5GHz reception after upgrading my network card to the AC 7265. In Windows 8.1 all the drivers I tried 17.0.6.1(7/8/14) - 17.13.11.5(12/8/14) resulted in the same problem - No 5GHz reception, only 2.4GHz reception.

After rolling the driver all the way back to version 17.0.0.34(2/12/18) the wifi now works on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz.

Also, on my Linux OS the above effect was evident between using the iwlwifi-7265-8.ucode firmware (working 5GHz) and the iwlwifi-7265-9.ucode firmware (no 5GHz reception).

17.0.0.34 Win8 64

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/23711/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-8-?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23711/eng/Wireless_17.0.0_De64.exe Intel® Download Center

Is this a new feature or a year long glitch?

Hope this helps someone.

BGomb
Beginner

Thank you sir!! This works! Been looking for a solution and have given up before when I read the post by intel dropping the ball and washing their hands. Enjoying my ac 7265 card in ac 5ghz thanks to you!!

0 Kudos
IPres
Beginner

Thanks, this works for me too

0 Kudos
MRams2
Beginner

Had the same issue and rolling back the driver like User42 suggested did the trick. I'm using a Dell Venue 11 Pro 7139.

0 Kudos
IPres
Beginner

Uninstalled the latest drivers and installed 17.0.0.34 as suggested by User42 and 5GHz is working at last!!

Thank you User42!

0 Kudos
BBarr7
Beginner

For me driver version hasn't mattered. It was finding a channel on my router (vs auto channel setting) that this card will actually communicate with on 80hz, that resolved my issue. Never had to do that in the past and certainly not with the ac7260

MGome8
Beginner

Same Problem with new Lenovo Thinkpad E550 (bought in Germany).

Replaced 3160AC. No 5GHz Networks shown with 7265AC.

But no problems with 3160AC. Works fine in 2,4 and 5 GHz.

0 Kudos
NJala
Beginner

hello, what is your router? what channel were you able to make your adapter find and connect to 5 GHz? thank you.

0 Kudos
MKuo8
Beginner

I also replaced updated to the AC 7265 on my Alienware Alpha and have not been able to get my 5ghz network to show up. I originally had the 3160 intel card in it. It looks like people have been able to roll back onto the driver 17.0.0.34. I've tried to go to the settings of the card but the ability to roll back button is dimmed. It won't let me roll back. This is a pretty fresh and new computer so I guess there is no previous driver to roll back to? In any case, is there a way to obtain these particular set of drivers? I can't find them on the intel site and through google. Please help!

APopo3
Novice

It seems that the only difference in HW ID is a revision. Interesting, looks like this problem affects rev_12 adapters (at least). Any comments on this from Intel guys?