Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Wireless-AC 8260 needs to be reset frequently - extremely frustrating

JSchm33
Beginner

My laptop's wireless adapter (Intel Dual-Band Wireless-AC 8260) frequently loses its connection and needs to be reset. It will be functioning normally, and then my wireless connection suddenly turns off. When look for wi-fi networks, the list is empty even though there is a strong signal in range. All of my other devices are able to maintain a wi-fi connection without issue, and this has happened on multiple different networks. If I physically plug in an ethernet cable, I do not have any issues.

If I run the Windows network troubleshooter, the problem resolves itself, but it returns the warning "Problem with wireless adapter or access point (fixed)." The problem also resolves if I use Device Manager to disable and then re-enable the wireless adapter. However, this is only a temporary solution - the problem will always occur again, anywhere between a few minutes or several hours later. This is an extremely frustrating issue - I need reliable internet access for work and school, and having to move to a wired connection defeats the point of using a laptop. Clearly the wireless adapter needs to be reset, but I have been unable to find any reason why.

I am running Windows 10 (version 1803, OS build 10.4.17034). I have already tried updating my drivers (wireless adapter driver version is 20.70.11.3). After seeing reports of similar issues online, I have tried removing the power management option to disable the device, disabling the 802.11n/ac mode, and turning Roaming Aggressiveness to the Lowest setting. None of these changes have helped.

What can I do to get my wi-fi connection to work permanently? I am becoming desperate for a solution.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Esteban_C_Intel
Employee

Hello JSchm33,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

According to the problem described and the troubleshooting performed, this issue seems more like a hardware problem; however, please try the following and let me know if the issue persists: 

1- Download the following driver.

2- Uninstalling the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth® Drivers (both) for your Intel® Wireless Adapter as shown on the following link.

3- Install the driver downloaded in step 1.

4- Make sure to have the Power Management settings as shown on the following link.

5- Finally, please set the adapter settings as shown on the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity article.

Could you please also provide me with your laptop model?

Regards,

Esteban Ch.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
JSchm33
Beginner

I have performed those steps. The error is still occurring, but significantly less frequently.

My laptop is an Origin EON17-X.

0 Kudos
Esteban_C_Intel
Employee

Hello JSchm33,

Thank you for your response, 

Could you please try this older driver? Let me know if the issue got resolved or the frequency of the problem is lower.

Regards, 

Esteban Ch. 

0 Kudos
JSchm33
Beginner

The frequency actually increased with the older driver, so I went back to the newer one.

0 Kudos
JSchm33
Beginner

I don't know if this is relevant, but the issue seems to happen more frequently when I move my laptop from one place to another.

0 Kudos
Esteban_C_Intel
Employee

Hello JSchm33,

Thank you for your response, 

In this case, I will recommend you to get in contact with your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for further assistance, since this issue seems like a hardware problem with the wireless antennas. 

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. 

Best regards, 

Esteban Ch. 

0 Kudos