Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Wireless AC 8265 recently stopped working on my HP Zbook

JOttu
Beginner

The Dual Band Wireless AC 8265 recently stopped working on my HP Zbook running 64-bit Windows 10.

I can't tell if it's a hardware or software issue.

Device Manager says "The device is working properly".

However no wireless device shows up under Network Connections.

The driver version is 19.71.0.4. I downloaded and tried manually installing v20.10.2.2. During the install, always complains (in event viewer) about not being able to start the Netwtw06 service with the following message:

Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24FD&SUBSYS_00108086&REV_78\4&12aabb1b&0&00E0 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem103.inf

Class Guid: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Service: Netwtw06

Lower Filters:

Upper Filters: vwifibus

Problem: 0x15

Problem Status: 0x0

Then the driver automatically reverts back to 19.71.0.4.

I think the message

Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24FD&SUBSYS_00108086&REV_78\4&12aabb1b&0&00E0 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem57.inf

Class Guid: {4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Service: Netwtw04

Lower Filters:

Upper Filters: vwifibus

Problem: 0x15

Problem Status: 0x0

is connected with v19.71.0.4 also not being able to start.

Strangely, perhaps, Windows complains that the update described as

Intel - net - 6/25/2017 12:00:00 AM - 19.71.0.4

is available to install. Always fails to update/install when tried.

Besides revering to a previous version of the driver (didn't work), I tried uninstalling the driver/device, then rebooting and having Windows look for hardware changes (also didn't work).

At a loss regarding what to do.

Worked fine about a week ago.

Hardware problem requiring service call?

Thanks,

jjo

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello ottusch,

We understand you're having issues detecting wireless networks with your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265.

In some cases, switching from your OEM specific driver to our Intel® generic version may result in errors. To troubleshoot, we could try a driver only installation:

1. Download and extract our latest IT Admin driver for your adapter: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27312 WiFi_20.10.2_Driver64_Win10.zip

2. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 and uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else (unless you're ok with the extra wait) and press OK.

5. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 again, this time choose to "Update driver software..." > Select the option to "Locate and install driver software manually." Here you will need to direct the wizard to the location where you extracted the IT Admin package back in step one.

Alternatively, since the issue is fairly recent, you could try a restoring your system to a date when the adapter was working properly through System Restore.

1. Select the Start button, type control panel, then choose it from the list of results.

2. Search Control Panel for Recovery.

3. Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.

4. Choose the a restore point created on a date where your system was working properly, then select Next > Finish.

If at this point the issue continues, and you're still unable to update the driver nor see available networks, we could suggest reinstalling your operating system (Settings > Update & Security > Reset this PC > Get started). If that's out of the question, then engaging your computer manufacturer for support would be recommendable.

Please let us know if this works.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ottusch,

We haven't heard back from you in a while, has your issue been resolved?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos