Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Wireless AC-9260 Connection Speeds

misterg68
Beginner

Hello,

I have owned an Intel Wireless AC-9260 Adapter for my Windows Desktop for quite some time.

Generally speaking, it has served me well.    I am fairly technical with Windows, though I don't know a lot about Wireless.   I have gone thru the exercise of testing each Channel on my 5Ghz Wifi and determined which channel has the best throughput.    That being said, I've also taken my Wifi-6 Router to the most recent firmware update, which is dated from 06/2022.   

The issue I have is primarily of one of speeds.    I have verified thru a Wired Connection with the same router, that my home gets close to 1Gbps transmission speed.   However, with the AC-9260 and the most current drivers, I am barely getting 600Mbps.

I don't want to mess up my Wifi Adapter, but I'm guessing that although I've optimized the channel that I'm connected to on the 5Ghz network, that there is some other setting within the depths of the Wireless Adapter that I have not set properly.

Does anyone have any practical, easy suggestions? 

Please advise and Thx in Advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @misterg68  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I will gladly assist you here. 

Please, answer these questions to have a better perspective of this issue: 

1. Is this card the pre-installed Wi-Fi card in your motherboard/laptop or is it an integration? 
  2. Was it working before? 
  3. Do you get the same speeds with other wireless devices? 
  4. Does this issue happen with another Router/Access Point (PA)? This card works with Wi-Fi 5 technology and your router with Wi-Fi 6, using different technologies may cause performance issues. 
  5. What are the specific models of your Router and PC? 
  6. Have you tried the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity yet? 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
misterg68
Beginner

1.  The card was purchased as an accessory to my PC, and is a plug-in Card (PCI-E Slot).

2. It was functioning at a higher throughput before than it is now.

3.  The speeds with other wireless devices are LESS than my PC.   The problem seems to have started after upgrading to the latest Intel Drivers for the AC-9260.

4.  I achieved the higher speeds with the same equipment I have now, as early as 2 months ago.   I do not own any other routers or wifi equipment.

5. PC = MSI Motherboard (Model = MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS Motherboard), Unbranded Computer.   

Router = TP-LINK ARCHER AX-50 (Achieve Speeds Just Shy of 1Gbps when connected directly to router)

Paying for a 1Gbps Connection Speed thru my Internet Provider.

6. Where can I find the recommended settings you are speaking of, so that I may try them?

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @misterg68  

Thank you for the information provided. 

These are the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity. You can try these settings for your AC card.

In any case, It is worth mentioning that Intel does not support wireless integrations (installing a different wireless adapter into your system/laptop). We recommend you speak to the Manufacturer of your equipment for support on wireless integrations and replacement parts to ensure compliance with the regulatory requirements of your country and support. It is important to check for compatibility with the System Manufacturer, as there could be certain cards that will not work with the system. For more information, read the following article under the title "Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade.

If your problem persists after the steps provided above, you need to contact your System Manufacturer for further assistance with this integration. I hope these steps help you. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos