Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Wireless AC 9560 160MHz - Access Point Roaming too aggressive

OR000
Beginner

Dear All,

I have a brand new Dell Inspiron 7590 with an Intel Wireless AC 9560 160MHz NIC. In my House I have 3 Access Points configured in a mesh (same SSID/password running on different, non overlapping channels). Around 20+ devices (iPhones, iPads, Laptops running windows 7/8.1 or ubuntu 18.04) do not have any issues with this wifi setup, but the new Inspiron does. From what I can tell it tries to roam through the accesspoints, although its position does not change. I have set the following in the advanced adapter menu:

Roaming agressiveness: Lowest

Global BG Scan blocking: On good RSSI

Transmission Power: Lowest (to make it harder for the laptop reaching other accesspoints.)

I really need help, using the laptop for remote computing (RDP, Citrix, ...) is almost impossible.

With the mentioned settings the laptop does not fully connect to other APs anymore, but the connection drops in short intervals. With default settings it roams over, stays there for a few seconds and then falls back. Both scenarios are very annoying.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AdrianM_Intel

Hello OR000,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

Please run the following tool and attach the report generated. 

1. Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download link 
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

Questions:

• Was it working properly before?
  • Is this the only device presenting this behavior?
  • Is this the original wireless adapter that comes pre/installed by the system manufacturer?

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
OR000
Beginner

Dear Adrian,

thank you very much for comming back to me! I've now attached the system summary from the SSU.

Was it working properly before?

• The device is brandnew and it shows this behaviour right on first startup.

Is this the only device presenting this behavior?

• Unfortunately yes.

Is this the original wireless adapter that comes pre/installed by the system manufacturer?

• Yes, it is. At first I was running the driver preinstalled by Dell, now I've tried the lastest driver from Intel 21.80.2.1, but it shows the same behaviour.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello OR000,

Thank you for your response.

Based on the report provided I can see that your system is up to date, OS, BIOS, drivers.

It's recommended to use the drivers provided by the system manufacturer to no lose customizations performed by the system manufacturer on their systems however this does not seem to be a driver problem based on the fact that your computer is brand new and it has not worked since the first startup.

Do you see any error code in device manager? --> open device manager--> Network adapters ---> Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 right-click ''properties'' --> in general tab it can show if it works fine or error codes.

Are these access points 3 different routers or signal extenders?

I can see that there are around 20 + devices connected to the same network, have you check the settings of your router to see the max amount of devices allowed to get connected to that access point?

Could you please check by disconnecting the other devices if possible and connect only your DELL computer to your network to test the behavior?

By any chance have you tested sharing the hotspot wireless signal from your cellphone to the laptop and check if it gets connected?

Regards,

Adrian M.

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello OR000,

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello OR000, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question.

Regards,

Albert R.

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos