Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Wireless AC-9560 Slow speed and disconnects on 5Ghz

MCock1
Novice

Hi,

I'm having probelms with this device. When I'm connected to a 5Ghz network I'm getting frequent disconnects. I'm also experiencing very slow connection speeds when using this device. (17mb/s down and 2mb/s up)

I've tried updating the drivers to the latest ones on Intels support website, and I've tried using the drivers on the computer manufacturers website. Both result in no change.

As a further test I ran a speed test on the same hardware using a fresh Linux installation and this gave me full speed. I also created a fresh user account within windows but found this resulted in slow speeds, so this has led me to believe there may be a problem with the drivers.

When I have been getting the disconnects I've been seeing these errors and warnings in event viewer:

Driver from Intel I tried was: 20.80.0.5

Driver from Asus I tried was: 20.60.2.2

I've also run the system support utility and have included the results.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello markc_182,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I can see that you are experiencing slow speed and disconnections when using 5 GHz.

First, I would like you to provide me with the full System Support Utility report, I can see that you only attached the network part, so please attach it again with the rest of the information. Now, I need more data, so please provide me an answer for the following questions:

1 - Is this problem only experienced with the laptop or have you tried other devices as well?

2 - Have you tried to connect to a different 5 GHz network?

3 - You mentioned the speed is slow in 5 GHz, have you checked 2.4 GHz?

4 - Was this problem experienced before or it just started happening?

Also, please refer to the link below to find the recommended settings for 802.11ac:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Make sure to change any configuration when applicable according to the information in the article above.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MCock1
Novice

Thanks for the reply David, in answer to your questions;

1- The problem is only on this laptop, other devices connect to this network at full speed.

2- I have just tried connecting to another 5GHz network to check the speed. It connected at the same 17mb/s I'm getting on the other network and in the 5 minutes I was connected to this 5GHz network, I saw 4 drop outs.

3- Sorry, I wasn't clear about this. I'm seeing slow speeds on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. But frequent disconnects on the 5GHz only.

4- This is a new laptop I performed a clean installation of Windows on. I didn't do a speed check on the machine before the clean installation. I had to do the clean installation due to swapping out hard drives, so I cannot reset back to the manufacturers default state.

I include the full system report as requested.

I've just been through the properties in device manager and can confirm all the settings are default, as recommended.

0 Kudos
JWyso
Beginner

Mam ten sam problem. Obojętnie która wersja sterownika jakie opcje ustawię łącze obcina o połowę. Po LAN mam 100%, przełączę się na WiFi około 50%. Inne urządzenia osiągają 100% prędkości łącza.

Świeżo zainstalowany Windows osiągało też 100% a po aktualizacjach coś nie gra. reinstalacja sterownika karty nic nie daje.

Aktualna wersja sterownika 20.50.0.4

I have the same problem. No matter which driver version the options are set, the link is cut by half. After the LAN I have 100%, I will switch to WiFi around 50%. Other devices reach 100% of the link speed.

Freshly installed Windows also reached 100% and after the updates something is not playing. re-installing the card driver does not give anything.

The current version of the 20.50.0.4 driver
idata
Employee

Hello markc_182,

Thank you for your response.

Did you try to check the link that I sent about the recommended settings for 802.11ac connection? This is important because these settings must be adjusted to get a better connection and faster as well. The link is above, please make any changes if applicable and let me know.

gicek31, you can also check the settings from the link provided above.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
MCock1
Novice

Hi again David,

Yes, I can confirm I followed the link and have set all setting as per the recommendations. I've also been into my router's settings and ensured they are set as described.

Just to show you the Intel 9560 settings too...

I hope this helps

Mark

0 Kudos
MCock1
Novice

Some further information for you.

When I follow the driver installation instructions it says to uninstall PROSet/Wireless Software then uninstall the 9560 from the device manager. I do this as per the instructions and it then says to reboot the machine. I've noticed that the PROSet/Wireless Software reinstalls itself (20.60.2) and the device reappears in the device manager, with an older driver number (20.50.0.5).

I try to repeat this process to remove these, but every time I reboot the PROSet/Wireless Software and the driver have reinstalled themselves.

I then tried to remove the PROSet/Wireless Software and remove the 9560 from device manager, then install the PROSet/Wireless Software and then rescan for hardware changes in device manager, and apply the 20.60.2.2 driver. This gave me full download and upload speed, however upon performing a reboot, the slow speeds returned. I have performed this several times and can confirm it is repeatable.

I have performed dozens of speed tests to make sure I wasn't just getting a strange result.

I have also performed speed test whilst plugged in to an ethernet cable and can confirm my internet connection is very stable.

Mark

0 Kudos
JWyso
Beginner

Witam, sytuacja wyglata teraz tak, że wczoraj zainstalowałem na nowo Windowsa. Wszystkie sterowniki wcześniej ściągnąłem do najnowszych wersji. Aktualnie mam teraz do AC 9560 wersje 20.80.0.5. Instaluje wszystko stopiniowo i aktualizuje system i sprawdzam działanie sieci. Jak na razie bez spadku prędkości sieci.

Dodam, że przed formatowaniem robiłem wcześniej zalecenia, które były opisywane i bez żadnego rezultatu. Kombinowałem na różne metody i nic. Połączenie zawsze było w 5GHz ac i szybkość połączenia do 866,7 Mb/s. Przy łączu do 200Mb/s osiągałem tylko 89-90 Mb/s.

Jak czegoś się doszukam co mogłoby tego być przyczyną dam znać.

Hello, the situation now looks like that yesterday I installed Windows again. All drivers have been downloaded to the latest versions. Currently, I now have versions 20.80.0.5 for AC 9560. It installs everything on the line and updates the system and checks the network. So far without the speed of the network dropping.

I would like to add that before formatting I have done recommendations that were described and without any result. I've combined different methods and nothing. The connection was always at 5GHz ac and the connection speed was 886.7 Mb / s. At the link up to 200Mb / s, I achieved only 89-90 Mb / s.

If I find something that could cause it, let me know.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello markc_182,

Thank you for your response.

I can see that gicek31 re-installed the operating system and the speed of the connection hasn't dropped. If possible, try re-installing your operating system to see if the issue persists, if you need, you can contact the manufacturer of the system (Asus*) and they should guide you through the re-installation process.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
MCock1
Novice

Hi again David,

Finally sorted out this problem. I traced it to a program called Asus GameFirst that was loading up in the background and limiting all non-gaming applications to..... 16mb/s up and 2mb/s down.

I find it very strange that this program would use these settings by default.

Anyhow, thanks for your assistance in this matter.

Mark

JJarr1
Beginner

I also wanted to chime in as I was experiencing slow download speeds of 10Mbps on my brand new Dell laptop with this wireless AC network card, this was the top Google search result when searching for Intel AC 9560 slow speeds.

There's an app loaded on Dell laptops, particularly my new Dell Inspiron 5000 14in. It's called "SmartByte"

1. From the "Type here to search" bar in the lower left portion of the screen in Windows 10, type "SmartByte", if the program appears, click on it. Alternatively, look for it in your Windows program list and click on it.
  2. The program will open, title Dell Cinema Stream in the upper left corner of the program, big words in the program window say "Network Prioritization". This is some Network Quality of Service software pre-loaded by Dell.
  3. There will be a slider bar in this application to turn it On/Off. By default it is turned on.
  4. Turn the slider to the Off position.
  5. Re-run your speed test. I went from 10Mbps download rate to over 400Mbps download rate (Note: Speeds will vary depending on your actual internet speed and type of router, but should allow you to max out download speeds based on your conditions.).

Hope this helps, there's likely nothing wrong with the hardware of your new Dell, just a small tweak that needs to be made so you can stop pulling your hair out.

keith_hernandez
Beginner

I registered an account here just so I can thank you, JJarr1. This is such an unbelievable oversight by Dell that I almost can't believe it. I went through downgrading firmware, tech support, countless router settings and nothing worked, but this did. At first I couldn't switch it off, but after the app updated I was able to do so. Thank you so very much.

0 Kudos
NPeep
Beginner

SING IT FROM THE ROOFTOPS!

I was troubleshooting and researching this issue when I found your reply. I was baffled as to why my brand spanking new Dell Inspiron 2-in-1 was having so many pings dropped, and all around crappy performance. I recently installed DD-WRT on my home router so I was for sure leaning towards that being the issue, and hadn't even considered some crapware that came pre-installed. You've just saved me so much time!! Thank you!

JJarr1
Beginner

I'm happy that it helped you. I can't tell you how many times I search through threads of information and rarely find a result that actually helps.

0 Kudos
menso
Beginner

JJarr1 - your chime about smartbyte solved my slow wifi issue on my new Dell Vostro laptop. I could not swipe slider off because my smartbyte version was old. Once I downloaded the newest version, the smartbye app opened and I could swipe slider to off. Once I did this, my WiFi speeds were fast again :) Thank you so much for sharing this. I probably will uninstall this awful app haha.

0 Kudos
JSmys
Beginner

Thank you JJarr1!! This was the exact issue that I was experiencing with my Dell laptop. Why would that setting default to "on"?! It's frustrated me for months trying to diagnose the poor wireless performance of my new laptop. Anyway, I created an intel account just to thank you for your post; thank you for taking the time to write it... greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
PE000
Beginner

I had the same issue. Solved by uninstalling the driver completely in the device manager, then restarted the computer. 5GHz works perfect now.

Lenovo Thinkpad T490 (2019).

Radomir
Beginner

Thank you. I tried almost everything... Even installing new driver(but without uninstalling the old one). After all i followed your recommendation, and i just uninstall the driver, and reboot my laptop. After rebooting driver was installed automatically(the same version). I don't now why, but now the speed is as it should be.

0 Kudos