Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Wireless AC 9560 and Bluetooth Code 10

jarez95
Beginner

Been really enjoying my Asus Zenbook over the past 2.5 years and have faced relatively minor hardware issues up until now. I have noticed previously that my internet cuts out when I am gaming and only when the graphics card is under load, this was verified using furmark, however this only happens when the laptop is plugged in, when the laptop is on battery this does not occur. I just resorted to using an external USB wifi stick and that does get around the problem but has always irritated me that WiFi cannot be used when the graphics card is under load, even when I am perhaps running an AI workload.

Now after using my laptop that night and waking up to it powered on this morning (this is another issue which I've never found a solution to, magically turning on when it wants to, tried all the windows settings...) anyway...

I noticed that the WiFi was not working and was reporting a code 10 with issues with oem180.inf on the vwifibus. At 7:36am it reported an error on the event viewer that the network adapter has reported an invalid value to the driver, followed by the bluetooth error flagged 2 seconds later. From some detective work I noticed that it tried to do a windows update at 22:13 (9 hours before) on "intel extension 22.1120.0.1" but failed:

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/intel-extension-22107001/ee20ccb5-7520-4835-ae43-58cb1662594e?page=1

Intel Extension 22.1070.0.1 - Microsoft Community. The symptoms are exactly identical to that reported in these forums previously with sudden failures occurring:

1. zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/46648/asus-zenbook-ux433fn-network-card-problems
  2. zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/38060/ux480fd-error-10-intel-wireless-ac-9560-screenpad-down
  3. zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/58139/asus-ux333fn-wifi-and-bluetooth-issue-ac-9560-code-10
  4. zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/50857/encountered-some-problems

I have spent a day trying to remedy this but to no avail, done a complete driver uninstall, network reset, windows update, hard shutdown press, restore point and nothing has worked the only change I noticed was that it no longer reported an unknown USB device and now instead reports a problem with the bluetooth device as in link 3. Tried driver easy and brought PRO version as well out of frustration and it still doesn't work. Messed around with all the advanced WiFi settings, such as changing bands, output power, SMPS modes and that doesn't make a difference, nor does whether it is on battery or not like before with the graphics card usage.

I have also noticed that the driver update tool from intel does not seem to update the driver, even though the software does tell me it has installed the latest version 22.140.0  and I cant seem to get it past the 2018 version and that is only achieved through updating the driver through the optional windows updates. 

I am quite frustrated with this and would much rather use the dual band Intel chipset as it is much faster than a WiFi dongle and far more convenient as I am on the move quite a lot. I do not want to try BIOS rollbacks, complete reinstall of Windows or sending it back to the manufacturer as I need my laptop on a daily basis to carry out my research, it is absolutely critical and I cant risk messing it up further or not having it even for a couple of days. I have seen from the comments to links 1,2,3,4 that these are very unlikely to remedy the problem anyway.

Since reading all of these in great detail, I haven't seen that there has been a clear solution to this problem if any. But I hope to at least engage people to try and attempt fixes, I really do think it is software related as it was from the next wakeup after the failed update

Look very forward to any feedback on this.

Regards, Jarez

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello jarez95,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to better assist you with this issue, please provide the following information:

Open the application and select "Everything", click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". Please attach the file to your reply.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
jarez95
Beginner

Hi Steven, 

Yes it shows under device manager as a code 10 error. 

Please find attached the scan report, let me know if there is any other further information required. 

Best Regards, Jarez

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

Please perform the following steps and let me know of the outcome:

Please try first with the drivers provided by Asus (Bluetooth V22.120.0.3, Wi-Fi V22.120.0.3). You can find them here https://www.asus.com/Laptops/For-Home/Zenbook/Zenbook-Pro-14-UX480/HelpDesk_Download/?model2Name=Zenbook-Pro-14-UX480

If it is still showing the code 10 error, try a clean installation with our generic drivers https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
jarez95
Beginner

Cold reboot of the laptop did not work, the battery is not removable either. 

Attempted to perform clean installation of drivers and install the original OEM one, that you have linked. 

Presented with the following errors in powershell (admin): 

[30/06/2022 12:41:55] Start check registry
[30/06/2022 12:51:55] Check: FAIL
[30/06/2022 12:51:55] End check registry
[SC] OpenService FAILED 1060:

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

I would like to work on this issue, in order to do so, could you please confirm if you also tried the clean installation with our generic drivers?

As well, is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system, or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
jarez95
Beginner

The installation with clean drivers runs through and installs (suspiciously quickly) and it doesn't report a failure, however there are no changes to the device manager with the device still reporting under 'Unknown Network Controller' after a restart. Even under Event viewer, it does not report any errors or problems. 

I have also since done a BIOS reset to default, no changes observed. 

The only way I have it to even recognise that it is Wi-Fi driver is to let Windows do the optional update, however that installs a 2018 driver version and no further, that of course still does not work. 

No I have not changed the power adapter in any way nor opened the screws on my laptop to even touch anything as everything is soldered down and it is still under warranty.

Your efforts are appreciated.

Thanks, Jarez

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

I will work on this issue. As soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello jarez95,

Based on the steps performed already, our best recommendation is to contact Asus support for further assistance, as it is possible there is a hardware issue with the adapter.

You can check OEM support contacts here https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html?tab=system-manufacturers

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
jarez95
Beginner

So annoyingly it could be a hardware issue, but it seems to have definitely been caused by a failed windows update on the WiFi driver!

I have verified this by booting onto a Linux memory stick and upsettingly and as expected, neither the Bluetooth or the WiFi work at all. I have attached dmesg result to see if this makes anymore sense to anyone, I am not an expert on how these devices work but if there is firmware code which is written to some ROM area in the WiFi card is it possible that this has been screwed up? I am all ears at this point, but I can find 100's of posts around various forums on the internet detailing very similar issues with the 9560 Intel WiFi drivers, surely these all cant all be hardware failures? 

0 Kudos