Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Wireless-AC 9560 is intermittent

bsturn
Beginner

New Lenovo AIO, Intel I7-10700T, Windows 11. This my second new Lenovo, the first was returned the first week I had it because the system refused to connect to my 5g router and then the next day it did connect and was good for two days, then the speed dropped to under 25 mbs download and would fail to connect to web sites so I returned it. 

Now I have another new Lenovo that is same as the first  and while it connected to my 5g ok and runs very good at over 200 mbs it has now started to behave just like the first one. Download speeds drop to below 25 mbs and fails to connect to internet sites and sometimes will not even connect to the speed test. I checked the driver version, 22.90.0.5 9/27/2021 so I replaced it with the latest version 22.130.0.5, this worked ok for about three days and now it works good sometimes and then it slows down.

BTW, I have a 8 yr. old Lenovo AIO I-5 Win. 10 sitting next to me that works perfect and I verify that the internet and router are ok when the new computer starts acting up. I have noticed that on the Windows Settings page for the adapter that the "Link speed (Receive/Transmit):  866/866 (Mbps)" changes to 54/866 when it slows down and even 60/60 Mbps was observed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
28 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Do not buy Lenovo.  Problem solved.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello bsturn,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

If I may interrupt here, to have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

• Are you having issues with Wifi or Bluetooth or both?
  • Do you remember if this issue happened after a new OS update or a Wireless driver update?
  • Is this issue happening at the home, office environment, or both?
  • Have you checked if this issue happened on different networks?
  • Is this the original adapter pre-installed in your system, or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?
  • What Operating System version are you using?

Since the issue is on a new system, and you have replaced one system because of the same problem, check with your system's Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for validated drivers or support on known issues related to the symptoms experienced?

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
bsturn
Beginner

This will address your questions:

a. The issue is only with wifi. I do not use bluetooth.

b. This occurred with the first computer upon initializing Windows 11 with the drivers that came with it. This second computer also started having the problem within two weeks of initializing Win. 11 and that is when I started to investigate why. I found the Intel driver was version 22.90.0.5 dated 9/27/2021 so I installed the latest Intel driver per the instructions. After installing the new driver the wifi worked good for about three days and then slowed down.

c. This all happens at home.

d. I only have one network available and as I stated earlier I have an older computer on the table next to me and when this problem occurs I check the older computer internet speed and it is good (200 Mbps) while the new computer speed is less than 25Mbps.

e. The original Intel wireless AC 9560 is still installed and no other adapters have been tried.

f.  The OS is Windows 11 Home version 21H2, OS build 22000.652.

Lenovo support has not been much of a help and I can not afford  the time involved with taking it to a repair shop for warranty repair which is why I am reaching out to the experts at Intel. My only other option is to buy a USB WiFi adaptor which i would rather not do.

Thank you for your help.

Bill

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello bsturn,

Thanks for your response.

I understand that you have reached Lenovo and you haven't been able to solve your issue. 

I want to try solving your issue by clean installing our latest Intel Driver. Please, follow the clean installation process steps for the wireless driver:

• Download and save the driver (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html)

• Disconnect the unit to the internet.

• Uninstall the Wi-Fi driver.

1. Go to Device Manager.

2. Expand the Network Adapters category.

3. Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.

4. Make sure the option to Delete the driver software for this device is selected.

5. Repeat steps A through D until the option to Delete the driver software for this device is greyed out.

• Restart your computer.

• Install the driver downloaded before

Locate the driver you downloaded. Right-click the file you downloaded, then select the option to Run as administrator.

Let me know if the issue persists.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
bsturn
Beginner

Hello Jean,

I followed your instructions and everything looks good right now, my down speed is 326.99 Mbps and up is 22.93 which is normal. I will advise you of any further problem. I had already installed that version but I did not do it the way you suggested so hopefully your way will make the difference.

Many thanks,

Bill

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello bsturn,

I am glad to hear that the adapter is running as expected now. However, since you mentioned that the issue is intermittent, I want to monitor your case to confirm if the WiFi problem reappears. 

Let me know if you face any issues in the following days.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
bsturn
Beginner

Well it didn't last long and it looks like a hard failure now because it has been slow for two hours now. As soon as I started it this morning at 7 am I could tell it was slow because I would get an error message when switching to another site ( windows saying the network changed and to reload) that displayed for about 2 sec. and then the site I wanted appeared. Even coming to your site was hard. I then rebooted the computer but it stayed the same, tried running speed test but it would not connect. I then tried to remove the driver and reinstall per your instructions but it made no difference. The "Link speed" for the adapter is 60/60Mbps should be 466/466. Just prior to writing this I went from Amazon to another site and I got the error message again for about 2 sec and then another error message said "No internet" that gave the option to run a diagnostic which I did but windows could not find anything wrong.

I am beginning to think this is a hardware problem and that maybe Lenovo got a defective batch of adapters.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello bsturn,

I am sorry to hear that the issue persists.

Are you able to take a screenshot of the error message you receive? It will help me to check and gather more information. It may be difficult since you mentioned that the error message was only displayed for about 2 sec.

I want to look into vital information for further support. To record this information, create a report using the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU)  

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
bsturn
Beginner

Hi Jean,

I might have a fix, not sure because I don't understand why. Yesterday morning I ran the Win. diag. program when the screen said "No internet" and the program didn't find a problem although it was having a hard time doing anything as I wrote to you above. After searching windows support and not finding any help there I decided to go back and look into Windows Settings again. I went to Settings/Network & Internet/Advanced Network settings/Related settings/More network adapter options, there I found Bluetooth, Ethernet & WiFi. Right click on WiFi showed a menu clicked on diagnose and it ran and found a problem, the report says "Root cause:
This computer is continuously switching between two or more wireless routers or access points
Detailed root cause:
Excessive roaming (between access points, within a profile or a preferred network)"  

The diagnostic program said that it fixed the problem, I checked the adapter Link speed was back at 466/466 Mbps and the internet speed was back to normal.

Today all seems normal but I don't understand the findings because there is not any other routers or access points in my home. The report I have included below indicates the system was switching back and forth. 

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks, Bill

0 Kudos
bsturn
Beginner

Also here is report you requested.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello bsturn,

Thanks for your response. The information provided has been helpful.

Regarding your question about the error message you received. It is a strange behavior since you have only one router; however, this can be caused by the system changing between the 2.4GHz and 5GHx networks, but this is just an assumption and may not be accurate as to what is truly happening.

Since you mentioned that "Win. diag." states that the problem is now fixed, I would like to monitor your system one more time. Let me know if you encounter any issues in the following days.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
bsturn
Beginner

Failure and Win Diag says it fixed the same problem but no change. Almost impossible to get on this site this morn.

Link speed is 60/60 Mbps and Internet speed is 13.46 down and 1.45 up.

Win. Diag. report this morn.

Result of diagnosis: Problem found
Root cause:
This computer is continuously switching between two or more wireless routers or access points
Detailed root cause:
Excessive roaming (between access points, within a profile or a preferred network)

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Have you tried turning down your roaming aggressiveness? This is a driver configuration parameter.
...S
0 Kudos
bsturn
Beginner

Not sure I would be able to do that, beyond my technical level.

Thanks anyway. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello bsturn,

Thanks for your response. I am sorry to hear that the issue persists.

Keep in mind that there are two different types of drivers, generics provided by Intel and Equipment Manufacturer drivers, that are customized to work with each specific system. The best thing to do is to use the drivers provided by the system manufacturer (OEM) or through Windows Update to eliminate the potential impact caused by loading non-custom drivers. Try a clean installation of the latest driver from Lenovo (22.90.0.5). You can find the driver installation file here (https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/5-series/ideacentre-aio-5-27iob6/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Networking%3A%20Wireless%20LAN).

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
bsturn
Beginner

I had been looking at that but I was unable to download it because of the problem. I did manage to get the download off my other computer and loaded it on this one after doing the clean install and reboot. I notice that the driver version and date were the same as the driver  I got from your site, I thought it would change to the 22.90.0.5. 

Anyway it appears to be working now so I will let you know if it fails again. Hopefully not.

Thanks, Bill

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello bsturn,

Thanks for your response.

Regarding the recommendation from Scott, if you want to follow the suggestion, I found an article with information about the Wi-Fi Roaming Aggressiveness Setting (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005546/wireless/legacy-intel-wireless-products.html)

Also, since the driver from Lenovo is working fine, I will monitor your thread in case you face any issues.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

There's a how-to on this page: Advanced Intel® Wireless Adapter Settings.

...S

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello bsturn,

I hope you are doing fine.

I have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
bsturn
Beginner

Hello Jean, It is still working but I really don't think the problem is fixed, here is why.

1. Computer was initialized on 4/13/22 and worked perfect everyday until 4/27/22. No problems for two weeks!

2. On 4/28/22 I checked with Lenovo support and ran their Diagnostic, no problem was found.

3. On 4/29/22 I checked the version of driver that was installed and came with the computer, it was version 22.90.0.5 and it was dated 9/27/21. This is the same version that is currently on Lenovo's support and is the same one that you referred to 5/11/22 (the readme txt for the driver package shows the same version).

4. On 4/30/22 I installed driver version 22.130.0.5 from your site which worked for a couple of days.

5. On 5/11/22 following your advice, I removed 22.130.0.5 and installed the driver package from Lenovo which was successful. However, as I noted to you the driver version did not change, it is still 22.130.0.5

6. I checked the "roaming aggres." it is set at #3 medium. I left it at that but will change it when the problem comes back.

Thanks for your help

Bill

0 Kudos