Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Wireless AX 201 defect

Rooda
Beginner

Hello,

I have recurring problems with the Intel wifi 6 AX201 network card. I don't know if it's a hardware or software problem (related to updates?). Since a few weeks, the network card has been dropping (error code 10) several times a day. I only get the connection back after not one, but several attempts to clean the driver installation. I've been repeating this daily for the last few days, sometimes several times a day.

While browsing the web, I realized that the problem is known, but doesn't seem to have been completely solved during the last updates.

Tracks explored:
- simple update of the network card driver (tested versions 21.80.2.1 and 21.120.2 and the latest 22.0.0)
- clean reinstallation of the driver (successive uninstallations and reinstallation from scratch)
- BIOS update 

The problem persists far too long for the computer to be viable nor usable.

Can you please enlighten me? Do you have a definitive solution?

Thanking you in advance.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Rooda,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I understand that you are experiencing some problems with your wireless adapter due to the error code 10.

To better assist you, I would appreciate if you could provide the following information:

• Please provide the model of your computer.
  • Please provide your Operating System build.
  • For how long you’ve been experiencing this behavior?
  • Do you remember if this issue happened after a new OS update or Wireless driver update?
  • Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Rooda,

Were you able to check the previous post?   

Please let me know if you need further assistance.   

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
Rooda
Beginner

Hello Esteban

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the delayed response. Please find below the elements you asked about:

• Please provide the model of your computer -> ACER SWIFT SF514-54T
  • Please provide your Operating System build. -> Win 10 family 64b
  • For how long you’ve been experiencing this behavior? -> since around 3 to 4 weeks now
  • Do you remember if this issue happened after a new OS update or Wireless driver update? -> Indeed there was un update before
  • Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently? -> Yes it is the original one. As you can imagine, the laptop is thin and I don't want to take risks opening it and changing stuff inside. I have tried to reinstall the drivers after getting the issue (version 21.80.2.1 is from ACER website, then I tried both 21.120.2 and the recent 22.0.0 from Intel website.

For info, I have also tried to update the BIOS using the latest version on ACER's website, and also to set back factory build but seems not working neither. 

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Rooda

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Rooda,

Thank you so much for your response.

As you may know, the error code 10 in device manager could be related to two factors:

1.  Driver corruption

2.  Hardware failure

It’s interesting that the behavior started right after an update of your operating system. Do you remember what version of Windows* was working as expected?

To gather more information about your system I would appreciate if you could share the following:

Please run the following tool and attach the reports generated.   

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) Download link 

1. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. 

2. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   

3. Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   

4.To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   

Additionally, I would like to share with you some steps that are really useful and worth trying when working with this kind of error messages.

Please check the Code 10 Error in Device Manager for Bluetooth or Wireless (Wi-Fi) Device

I would appreciate if you could share the outcome with me after following the steps recommended.

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
Rooda
Beginner

Hello Esteban

Thanks for sharing some knowledge.

I had already went through the article you have shared during these past weeks, but with no satisfactory results as I am still having the recurrent issue.

To write you this reply, I had to clean reinstall the driver twice... And I am sure I will lose the connexion after few minutes.

Please find attached the scan infos as requested.

Looking forward to reading from you,

Rooda

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I suggest you try doing a clean install. Here is the process:

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drivers for your adapter. Here are links to these drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29902 and https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29919.
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From Apps & Features, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings". 
  5. Manually reboot your computer.
  6. In Device Manager, check Network Adapters for an entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz. If none, go to Step 9.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz and uninstall it, choosing to "Delete the driver software for this device".
  8. Go to Step 5.
  9. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. I recommend that you checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently (so it leaves it set up for next invocation).
  10. (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  11. Install the Bluetooth driver package (rule: always do Bluetooth first).
  12. Install the Wireless driver package.
  13. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  14. Enable Internet access.
  15. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Rooda
Beginner

Hi Scott,

Many thanks for this detailed process. I will test it and get back you.

Regards

Rooda

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Rooda,

I would strongly recommend performing the Clean Installation steps provided by n_scott_pearson.

Please follow the steps and let us know what the outcome is.

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
Rooda
Beginner

Hi Esteban

I will test later the process as advised by Scott and get back to you with the outcome.

Regards

Rooda

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Rooda, 

Were you able to perform the recommendations provided?   

Please let me know if you need further assistance.   

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Rooda,  

We have not heard back from you. 

Based on the complete troubleshooting steps that were made, I would strongly recommend to check with your laptop manufacturer for the appropriate part inspection. This is to discard any possible hardware failure with your wireless module.

We hope that you will be able to resolve this after checking with your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM)

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored  

Esteban D.

0 Kudos