Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Wireless Chip wakes up PC throughout the night, draining battery, despite not being allowed to wake the PC at all

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Razer Blade 15 (2019), with Intel i7-9750H and NVIDIA 2060. The wireless adapter is an Intel Wireless-AC 9560 at 160MHz.

Throughout the night, during sleep mode, my PC wakes up and my event viewer logs the following messages, then goes back to sleep after 5 minutes (as per my settings):

7025 - Dump after return from D3 before cmd  

7026 - Dump after return from D3 after cmd  

7021 - Connection telemetry fields and analysis usage  

6062 - Lso was triggered

[Event Viewer Screenshot]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/VnUm7.png

[Event Viewer Screenshot 2]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/aSz2W.png

(the Kernel-Power and Power-Troubleshooter messages are the boilerplate "System has resumed from sleep" messages)

I receive these messages, in this order, every 5-30 minutes throughout the night while my laptop sleeps. They are all sourced from netwtw08, which the details panel shows as the driver for the Intel wireless card.

[Event Viewer Details Screenshot]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/rB5qX.png

I have read every article on the front page of google for each of these events, as well as various forms of the title of this post. In accordance with all the guides and abysmally unhelpful Intel customer service I have seen, I have uninstalled the Intel drivers and reinstalled them multiple times. I have uninstalled the Intel drivers and installed the Razer-provided drivers. I have used the default Windows drivers. Nothing has changed.

In the device manager, I have disabled the ability to wake the computer for EVERY device except the keyboard and the system itself. My `powercfg /devicequery wake_armed` confirms this. The problem persists.

[Device Manager Screenshot]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/C4PsV.png

[Powercfg Screenshot]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/I9XvM.png

Just to prove that powercfg WOULD show the wireless chip if it was wake_armed, here's a screenshot of powercfg recognizing it:

[Powercfg Screenshot]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/2J8M6.png

I don't have a screenshot on hand because I woke my PC with the lid just now, but when `powercfg /lastwake` doesn't show "Power Button or Lid", it says "Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz". Will update if I can snag one.

I have installed the Intel Bluetooth drivers to no avail. I have uninstalled them as well, to see if it changed anything. It did not.

Before you link me to any other threads: I've already read them. The vast majority consist of advice I have already tried (powercfg, Device Manager, update/reinstall/uninstall drivers) OR some unhelpful Intel representative going through a copy-pasted help guide only to suggest a clean Windows install. I shouldn't have to blast my PC in order to make Intel's drivers work, and I have no confidence that a clean install will work because this problem has existed since the day I first powered this laptop on earlier this year.

The worst part is, nobody even has an explanation as to what these messages MEAN or what function they serve. I can guess that the first 3 are related to Intel collecting data, but WHY ON EARTH does it have to SEND THAT DATA TO INTEL EVERY 15 MINUTES ALL NIGHT? And what the hell does "Lso was triggered" mean? I've seen countless forums complaining about the event being tied to dropped connection, but what does LSO stand for? and WHY is it triggering constantly through the night?

When I pay for a piece of hardware, I don't expect it to work right away. But I DO expect it to be able to function properly with some tweaking and I DO expect there to be information on how to set it up properly and I DO expect there to be documentation as to what the messages it produces are telling me.

Just to reiterate for the Intel rep who skims the post and copypastes a reply: I have already updated my drivers (I've tried both the Intel- and Razer- distributed versions). I have already disabled wake up privileges in device manager and disabled wake on magic packet through the device properties. Please give me a real solution.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

C4pt41nN3m0, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, we understand that you already tried different troubleshooting steps to try to fix the issue of the laptop waking up from sleep mode by itself, we acknowledge that you already tried install and uninstall the Wireless drivers along with other suggestions showing in different threads.

At this point what we are going to do is to try to find out the source of the problem, the reason why this is happening to try to fix it, so there are some details that we wanted to confirm about your platform.

What is the model of the AP (Access Point) or Router?

How is the Router configured, to work with 2.4GHz band only, to work with 5GHz band only or to use both of them?

Which channel are you using to do the Wireless connection?

Do you have a power plan profile running in Windows*? Like for example, is there a specific time when the laptop should go to sleep mode?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello C4pt41nN3m0, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello C4pt41nN3m0, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Bilin
Beginner
Hi,
I have the same problem.
Is there any solution?
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

This thread is closed.   Start a new thread.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos