Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Wireless Dual-Band AC 7260 Bluetooth issues with Windows 10 2004

Cram_89
Novice

Hello,

since the update from Windows 10 1909 to 2004 i have the problem that the bluetooth fails sporadically (sometimes after 10 minutes, sometimes only after 1 hour, sometimes 3 times behind each other within 5 minutes). My guess is that there are problems with the interaction of driver, BLE and Windows 10 2004. When I go back to 1909, everything works fine again. I have tried it again with every new Windows Build version (19041.XXX). Always without success. Currently I'm using the version Build 19041.508. Unfortunately I don't have the possibility to go back to 1909 anymore because the update was more than 7 days ago and Windows 10 doesn't offer this option anymore.

I use the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 (HMC) in two notebooks. This was an upgrade part, which was installed by me years ago.

With Windows 10 1909 you could still set the power options of the Bluetooth adapter in the device manager. You had to disable (uncheck) "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under the Power Management tab. After that you could work with the Bluetooth adapter without any problems. This option is no longer available under Windows 10 2004 with this Bluetooth adapter.

Every time the Bluetooth connection is lost, the hidden Bluetooth icon in the taskbar will show up again. This happens with hidden symbols actually only when they are reconnected and fade out after a short time by itself. Additionally there are two entries in the event viewer (Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System):

Log Name: System               Source: BTHUSB                   Date: 2020/10/01 22:35:48

Event ID: 18                          Task Category: None          Level: Information               Keywords: Classic

Description:

Windows cannot store Bluetooth authentication codes (link keys) on the local adapter. Bluetooth keyboards might not work in the system BIOS during startup.

Event Xml:

http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

18           4             0              0x80000000000000          3773

System

00000800010000000000000012000540000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000E000000000000000

Log Name: System               Source: BTHUSB                   Date: 2020/10/01 22:35:48

Event ID: 34                          Task Category: None          Level: Warning                    Keywords: Classic

Description:

The local adapter does not support an important Low Energy controller state to support peripheral mode. The minimum required supported state mask is 0x491f7fffff, got 0x1fffffff. Low Energy peripheral role functionality will not be available.

Event Xml:

http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

34           3             0              0x80000000000000          4101

System

0x2491f7fffff       0x1fffffff

00000000030028000000000022000580000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

These events always follow each other.

I already tried to disable the power management function "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for any device in the device manager (USB Hubs, Bluetooth Low Energy GATT compliant HID device, etc.), delete connection to old BT devices and start reconnection. Also tried other (older) drivers. All without success.

I have two notebooks from different manufacturers (ASUS and TERRA WORTMANN), using the Wireless Dual-Band AC 7260 adapter and the same problem. Both notebooks had no problems with Windows 10 1909 and the driver for WiFi (PROSet version = 21.10.1, driver version = 18.33.17.1) and Bluetooth (package version = 21.10.1, driver version = 20.100.5.1). Only with the update from Windows 10 to the current version 2004 (Build 19041.508) there are problems in operation.

For newer Intel Wireless Adapters there is an update 21.120.2, which fixes many problems (https://downloadmirror.intel.com/29849/eng/ReleaseNotes_WiFi_21.120.2.pdf). Unfortunately this driver cannot be used for the Intel Wireless 7260 Family adapters. Support for this product will end on December 30, 2020 and self-service support will begin on December 31, 2020 (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006507/network-and-i-o/wireless.html).

An old post from 2017 describes a similar bug from another user (https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/7260-ac-Bluetooth-regularly-disappears-Win10x64/td-p/601683) but without a solution.

Many other users have the same problem with the combination of Intel Wireless AC 7260 and Windows 10 2004 (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-ent-update-feature-2004-bluetooth/5da2bc9f-6147-4e32-a8b8-561ba4da4dea?page=5).

In the appendix you can find the system reports of the System Support Utility of both notebooks.

I hope that someone can help me.

0 Kudos
47 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Cram_89, I just received an update on this matter.

As N. Scott Pearson mentioned previously, " it is unlikely that you will see any subsequent updates (unless security issue is identified)." There are no more updates on drivers for this specific product, therefore since this issue started after an Operating System update, in this case, the best thing to do will be to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the Notebooks to report this scenario, to verify if they have a possible solution for this issue or if necessary to take the computer to them for a physical inspection of the product.

TERRA:

https://www.wortmann.de/en-gb/contactus.aspx

ASUS:

https://www.asus.com/support/

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
BigBill
Beginner

This is not specific to one PC vendor. If you read the posts you will see that hundreds of people (even thousands) throughout the world are having this issue when using the AC 7260 with the latest version of windows.

It is incredibly disappointing that the Intel response to this problem is to fob off people like me and many  other posters when the problem is clearly an issue with the interoperability between the AC 7260 and it's driver and the later versions of Windows 10.

I believe the AC 7260 is still within it's support window and this problem should be fixed.

0 Kudos
zmlapq
Beginner

Totally agree with BigBill.

What is the reason to contact Asus?

I have got HP notebook. 

It's pointless to contact notebook manufacturer, since this is always related to the same reason - Intel Bluetooth.

So Intel, as the component vendor has to do something to resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@zmlapq What if asus or hp have modified the driver?

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

BigBill, zmlapq, Thank you very much for your responses.

If you need further assistance for this scenario with your specific platforms please submit your inquiry on a new thread, the reason for this is that every scenario is different even if the same product is being used, so for us to better assist you and in order to try to fix the problem, please submit a new thread:

https://communities.intel.com/community/tech

Keep in mind that the latest Intel® Wireless and Bluetooth drivers that will be available for the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260O will be version 21.10.1:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/75439/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-7260

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@BigBill et. al.,

Did any of you take the time to actually look at the status of the Wireless-AC 7260 module? This module was released 7 years ago (way back in 2013) and was discontinued in 2016/2017. Intel does not update drivers for discontinued products. There are normally no resources assigned to discontinued products. In this case, you actually got driver updates for 6 years. You can't expect Intel to support products forever. It's horrible that Microsoft has made changes that force driver updates, but this doesn't change the facts.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
BigBill
Beginner

This is exactly why we are posting our disappointment. No new drivers planned does not mean that they can't create new drivers to solve serious issues which this clearly is. And the device is still within it's support window.

A further issue is that Intel have not provided a replacement (upgrade) that has an identical footprint to the AC7260 where space is tight. So probably thousands of people are all stuck with perfectly good Windows PCs that can't be fixed for no other reason than the fact that Intel and Microsoft are not prepared to look at this problem within the support window of a discontinued product.

I hope you understand the issue better now and if you still have contacts within Intel, perhaps you could get someone to take this seriously.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Oh, I have understood the situation throughout. I too hate that this is happening. I too have systems that are reliant on this module. I too am experimenting with M.1-to-M.2 adapters (are you?). 

The fact that ICS will still respond to queries and try to help you does not mean anything in terms of what is actually happening in the development teams. Understand that Intel's Wireless team is statically-sized and can only support so many modules and so many O/S releases. Something has to give on a regular basis. Should it be the latest modules? That's never the right answer. How about they drop support for a couple of O/S releases completely? No, that's not the right answer either. No, the right answer, as brutal as it is, is that this module got its six years of driver coverage and that's it. They told you well in advance that this was the case and that this driver release would be the last.

If you want to attack the true culprit here, their name is Microsoft. Every update they deliver should not be breaking so many things.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
BigBill
Beginner

n_scott_pearson

I also understand the situation perfectly having worked in R&D and Marketing for most of my career (retired). Including discussing early MIMO WiFi development tools with virtually all major chipset companies throughout the world.

But this experience has not helped me solve this problem. As I mentioned in my post, there is no Intel replacement for the AC 7260 that has the same footprint where space is tight so M.1-to-M.2 adapters are useless in my particular case. I would be delighted if there was.

As for this assertion: They told you well in advance that this was the case and that this driver release would be the last

I disagree as the exact words are: There is no further driver update planned for these products.

Having worked in the industry, I know how this works. A few people in the R&D teams are working on supporting defects in newer products but they can be diverted back to fix legacy products if the problem is deemed serious enough. In this case I believe it is, given it renders a large number of laptops with AC 7260 throughout the world with AC 7260 faulty.

Now whether the defect is in the Microsoft code or the Intel code is unknown. I have seen poorly written code for other products including drivers for Windows that break with new releases of Windows based on the quality of the code and HW. To be fair this is less likely. 

Generally if a vendor identifies issues with Microsoft code that affects their product, they can be  contacted and they (eventually) provide a hotfix. Only the Intel development team are in a position to do this with the AC7260. Microsoft wont fix this on their own and customers are completely stymied if Intel refuse to look at this further. 

So I am left with either using a third party USB Bluetooth adaptor to maintain functionality or replace my laptop and so are likely thousands of others in the same position. I have no good reason to replace the laptop as it's a fairly powerful i7 that works perfectly apart from this issue. Throwing out $1,000 worth of perfectly good HW because of a problem like this doesn't feel right at all.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Look, I am not going to sit here and argue this with you. For a problem to be "deemed serious enough" to divert resources, at Intel it needs to have security implications. I don't see this being the case here. Still, I am retired and do not have any insights into their day-to-day decision-making any more. Maybe it's changed. I am simply telling you that I rather doubt it and you really shouldn't be getting your hopes up. 

...S

0 Kudos
Cram_89
Novice

In the end it is usually always the end user who has to pay for the **bleep**.

In the meantime I bought an AX200 in the HMC design (mini pci-e half size, without adapter) from a third party manufacturer and since yesterday it is installed in one of the two notebooks.

During a short 3 hour test yesterday there were no breaks in the Bluetooth connection and the WiFi connection is a bit better thanks to MU-MIMO. My current router currently only supports the AC standard, so I can't say anything about the AX connection.

It's really a pity that Intel neither offers driver support despite the known problem nor an alternative hardware solution.

I will test the adapter this week in more detail and report my experience afterwards.

0 Kudos
BigBill
Beginner

Really interested to see how you get on with this newer part. I was unaware of the 1216 version. I see it in the Intel product brief as AX200D2WL.

Not available for sale anywhere on the internet that I can see but perhaps as a replacement part from a laptop manufacturer?

0 Kudos
Cram_89
Novice

@BigBill I have ordered the TL-AX200HMW-B from Toulineua at aliexpress. It is a PCB in HMW size using an AX200D2WL, two short antenna cables and a shielding plate. I was a bit sceptical in the beginning, but after 4 hours I could not find any failure yesterday (WiFi as well as Bluetooth) and am satisfied with this solution for now.

0 Kudos
BigBill
Beginner

@Cram_89 

Just been looking into the AX200 solution some more. I use AptX codec and Miracast and neither are available with the AX200 from what I can see. However, the AC 8265 released in 2016, does have this capability. So I have ordered the 8265 HMC from the same supplier and I'll report back here how I get on.

0 Kudos
BigBill
Beginner

@Cram_89

I have been testing a Toulineua 8265 HMC (with the latest Intel drivers) for several days now and can confirm that it is working flawlessly. AptX and Miracast are also working too so all good. I also notice that the WiFi signal is better with the speed holding at 866.7Mb/s all the time in the location that I keep this laptop. This points to MIMO working better as the second MIMO channel is needed for speeds above 433Mb/s.

Thanks for providing the path to this solution. Hopefully I get a few more years from this device before Intel obsolete it.

0 Kudos
Cram_89
Novice

After almost 4 weeks, I can recommend this solution to everyone. The TL-AX200HMW-B I have now also installed in the second notebook of mine and it also works very well.

@BigBill It's good to know that the variant with the 8265 with AptX as well as Miracast also work well.

For me, the topic is hereby closed.

Unfortunately, once again only through time-consuming research and spending money. On the part of Intel, unfortunately, no solution.

Nevertheless, thanks to all who have actively participated here.
I wish everyone a Merry Christmas, all the best for the new year and stay healthy.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I found one of these through NewEgg and am going to give it a try...

...S

0 Kudos
Jas68
Beginner

@Cram_89, can you site documents that show what chipsets support AptX and Miracast? Not sure that would sway me to the 8265, but it could (and it's cheaper). The AX200 seems like it would maybe be more future-proof. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Cram_89
Novice

Hi @Jas68,

I do not have any documents on this. If you should rather ask @BigBill , because he has dealt with the topic.

0 Kudos
Jas68
Beginner
Sorry, @Cram_89, I confused who had posted what. @BigBill, can you point me to any documentation that confirms the newer chipset doesn't support AptX or Miracast? Thanks.
0 Kudos
BigBill
Beginner

I was mistaken, the AX200 does support Miracast as seen in the product brief here.

As for Aptx, from what I've seen in various forums, it's drivers that are the problem. Dell provide old drivers for the 8260 that work with the 8265. It's possible other manufacturers do too. You can find out more via a web search. I'm not sure Aptx is worth it though as the SBC codec is almost as good.

I probably would have just bought the AX200 with BT 5 and 802.11ax if I'd not been mistaken about Miracast as these are futureproof benefits worth having.

0 Kudos