Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Wireless Internet keep disconnecting on personal laptop. All other devices in the house are just fine. Solved temporarily after Windows Troubleshooter resets Wireless Adapter..

RAsht2
Novice

Hi!

Some tech specs (sorry if some of these are irrelevant, I'd rather give as much info as I can, rather then miss some):

Asus ROG Laptop G551JW

Intel i7 4720HQ

8GM RAM

Wireless Intel AC7260 (Driver version 18.33.13.4)

Laptop running Windows 10 64bit Home Edition

Version 1803

OS Build 17134.472

Internet is AT&T Fiber with 100GB/25GB of bandwidth

Installed 3 months ago.

So, this issue started about 3 weeks ago. It's hard for me to pinpoint what started it exactly, but it currently only happens on my personal laptop (the apartment has ~10 other devices connected to WiFi who are not experiencing any connectivity issues).

What happened is that the computer simply disconnects from the WiFi seemingly randomly, without any distinctive pattern. For example, it can happen 10 times in a row in the morning, and only one other time at about 5PM. The next day it can happen once every few hours. I am constantly on my computer, so I actually get disconnected upwards of 5 times a day. Some days more.. much more. When I get disconnected, the entire list of WiFi network disappears, as is there are none.

To temporarily solve this (until the next time it disconnects) I am running the windows troubleshooter by right clicking on the WiFi icon on my Windows taskbar, and pressing the "Troubleshoot problems" option.

It then resets my network adapter, and a few second later I am seeing the list of networks again, and am able to connect.

I FEEL like I tried everything. I flushed my DNS using all the "flushdns" commands on the cmd screen (tried 5-6 of those commands). I changed the DNS to Google's DNS. I restarted my computer several times. Uninstalled-reinstalled WiFi adapter, updated drivers on it. Used the windows Reset Network function (can't even remember where that is in the maze sometimes called "Windows 10"). I even tried limiting my connectivity to only 5Ghz in the Wifi Adapter's settings.

When nothing worked - I used a restoration point to send my Windows back in time to before the problem occurred. And it still does not work!

I am starting to feel like the Network Card may be corrupted, but don't want to buy a new laptop without knowing for sure what I'm dealing with here. Help Intel!

Edit: Added WLAN report , see attached.

Thank you.

Ron

7 Replies
RAsht2
Novice

Anyone? :(

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello RAsht2, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. First, I would like to recommend checking the recommended settings for 802.11n connectivity, these settings could improve the connection: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005544/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Also, I would like to gather some information, specifically, please provide me with an System Support Utility report, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Make sure to attach the created report to this thread. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
RAsht2
Novice

Thank you David.

I followed your first tip, which installed two updates to my system.

I then also updated the driver for my Network Adapter.

Attached is the report (I believe) you asked.

Thanks!

Ron

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello RAsht2, Thank you for your response. I would like to know if you have tried doing a clean installation of the wireless drivers? If not, please follow the steps in the link below: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Let me know if the adapter continues disconnecting after following those steps. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
RAsht2
Novice

Thank you David. I have now done the clean installation by following the instructions in the link you sent.

Hopeful (but skeptical) this will work!

Will update soon.

Ron

0 Kudos
RAsht2
Novice

OK, it's still happening.

Only now, Running the troubleshooter doesn't proc a reset for the network card. It just suggests that the Ethernet cable may be unplugged :|

So I need to restart each time it happens. So the problem is worse now.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello RAsht2, Thank you for your response. This could point at a hardware problem with the wireless adapter taking into consideration that the latest driver has been applied and the clean installation process was followed. Please get in contact with the manufacturer of the system so they can run diagnostics on the wireless adapter and replace it if applicable, if you are planning on changing the wireless adapter then please keep in mind that only the system manufacturer can give you the authorization and tell you which are the adapters that will work with the system and are approved to be used properly. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos