Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Wireless-N 7260 not working stable only with one network

OFedo1
Beginner

Hello, I have a problem with network connection on Wireless-N 7260. I've changed my router about a month ago, because the old one died (D-Link DIR-615), and now my laptop can't maintain connection with the new Xiaomi Mi Router 3. It did work very well with the old one, it works stable with my iPhone 7 Plus being in hotspot mode, etc. The only router it doesn't get friendly with is my new one, but every other device in my house works perfectly with it. I've tried reinstalling and updating drivers, configuring the network card, configuring the router to match the settings of the old router, but nothing helps. One more strange thing is that when it disconnects, it doesn't always even find the network, and if it does, there's a very small chance that it will connect, the adapter will most likely just reboot while connecting, and then Windows will be like "unable to connect". Mostly it connects when I wake up the computer, and it even holds the connection for some time (the speed is quite low, though), but then this might happen. How can I fix it?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello dyu6xz,

We understand you're having connectivity issues, but only with one specific router.

In order to investigate we would like the following:

1. Intel® System Support Utility report

1. Download the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® SSU

2. While connected to your WiFi network, run the scan for "everything."

3. Save and name the report.

2. Wireless Autoconfig report (Windows® 10 only)

1. Right click your start menu icon and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.

2. Enter: netsh wlan show wlanreport

3. Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WlanReport\

4. Upload the wlan-report-latest.html file along with your reply.

3. Is your router using the latest firmware available? (if you're not sure, your router manufacturer should be able to help).

4. Do you have any other Wireless-N devices connected to this network?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
OFedo1
Beginner

Something went wrong with the reports :-/ I was unable to connect to my Wi-Fi, but I ran the SSU scan anyway, if that will help. Command Prompt didn't even make the report, every time it returned 0x5 error, telling me to run it as admin when it was already launched with admin. Maybe it happened because there was no Wi-Fi connection at that moment, I was using my old phone as a USB repeater for my Wi-Fi. The router is using the latest firmware, and there is no other Wireless-N 7260 devices connected, my computer is the only one that has this adapter. The rest have other adapters and are connected to this router in 5G network, working normally. If you meant 802.11n, then I don't know, the router doesn't provide this information, and b/g/n/ac modes can't be selected, so I assume it uses n mode by default for both 2.4G and 5G networks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dyu6xz,

Does your router have the option to broadcast the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks separately, or do they both have the same SSID (name)?

We can try switching to a driver-only installation using a clean installation method to try and narrow down the root cause of the issue:

1. Download and save the latest IT Admin package of Windows® 10 drivers for your adapter: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27618 WiFi_20.40.0_Driver64_Win10.zip

2. Under Apps & Features in Windows* Settings, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

3. Manually uninstall your drivers: Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Wireless-N 7260 and uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else, then press OK.

5. Reboot your computer.

6. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Wireless-N 7260 again, this time choose to "Update driver software..." > Select the option to "Locate and install driver software manually." Here you will need to direct the wizard to the location where you extracted the IT Admin package back in step one.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dyu6xz,

We haven't heard back from you in a while. Did the driver only installation help?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
OFedo1
Beginner

It may sound like some magic or something, but when I was downloading the drivers, the computer switched from my phone in hotspot mode to the router, and I decided to give it one last chance. Somehow it's still connected, never had any disconnectings or anything like this since then, surprisingly it works okay. Around two weeks ago I've discovered that my router has some kind of a firewall that can not allow some devices to connect. By default it was set to some "medium protection" like setting, which rejects "suspicious" devices, and I've disabled it, thinking that it might be the router's firewall that doesn't allow my computer to connect. But for several days (or a week maybe) it still couldn't connect, but then it once just switched to it and is still connected, it does get the max speed for my data plan (in my country there is almost always unlimited internet, you pay for the speed), no idea how this happened. I'll install those drivers if it will disconnect again, but for now I'll just keep watching. It's just the longest session since I bought the router, maybe it really was just the firewall :-/ But if so, why did it struggle to connect for several days after disabling the firewall?...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dyu6xz,

We can agree, it's strange behavior.

If the problem comes back, please let us know in order to continue troubleshooting.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos