Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7425 Discussions

Wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160Mhz Cannot update bluetooth driver for Windows 10

thylocene
Beginner

In have installed a new Wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160Mhz card in my laptop and have updated to the latest wifi driver (v22.0.0.6).  I am trying to install the latest (going from version 18.1.1546.2762 to 22.00.0.2) - See attached. The installation always fails.  I have tried uninstalling the old bluetooth driver as well

0 Kudos
11 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I suggest you try doing a clean install. Here is the process:

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drivers for your adapter. Here are links to these drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29902 and https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29919.
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From Apps & Features, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings". 
  5. Manually reboot your computer.
  6. In Device Manager, check Network Adapters for an entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz. If none, go to Step 9.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz and uninstall it, choosing to "Delete the driver software for this device".
  8. Go to Step 5.
  9. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. I recommend that you checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently (so it leaves it set up for next invocation).
  10. (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  11. Install the Bluetooth driver package (rule: always do Bluetooth first).
  12. Install the Wireless driver package.
  13. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  14. Enable Internet access.
  15. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
thylocene
Beginner

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the detailed steps.  I will give it a shot tonight and let you know how I fare.  One other thing that I have also noticed is that I cannot seem to be able to uninstall Bluetooth from add-remove programs which may also tie in the the issue that I am experiencing.  It starts uninstalling but then rolls back

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If this happens, just keep going. If you uninstall the device from within Device Manager and specify that the associated software be uninstalled as well, it should take care of this (hopefully those aren't 'famous last words').

...S

0 Kudos
thylocene
Beginner

Could not get the new driver installed not matter what I try.  It still thinks that the old driver is installed:

e.g.

Are you sure you want to upgrade from version 18.1.1546.2762 to version 22.00.0.2?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So what happened when you said yes?

0 Kudos
thylocene
Beginner

Same as before.  The installer tries to uninstall the old version and then just rolls back.  Event viewer has:

<DSAExceptionEvent xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns="https://www.intel.com"><OS><Description>Windows 10 Pro</Description><Version>6.3</Version><Build>19042</Build><Release>2009</Release><EpmId>88002</EpmId></OS><DSAVersion>20.10.42.5</DSAVersion><Module>DSAServiceCore.dll</Module><ClassName>DSAServiceCore.Controllers.Session.PopulateSessionController</ClassName><MethodName>CompareDrivers</MethodName><ExceptionType>DriverComparisonDoneException</ExceptionType><Message>29919, (Bluetooth)</Message></DSAExceptionEvent>

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Forget DSA. Stop using DSA for now. What happens when you right-click on the Intel Wireless Bluetooth entry in Device Manager, select Uninstall Device, select (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device and then click on Uninstall? Does it complete the uninstall?

0 Kudos
thylocene
Beginner

Hi Scott, In device manager there are 2 references to Bluetooth.  Neither has an option to delete driver software for this device (see attached).  The only entry that has an uninstall is listed under Network adapters.  If you install the entry just eventually reappears (see attached)

0 Kudos
thylocene
Beginner

Meant to say uninstall rather than install

0 Kudos
thylocene
Beginner

I finally managed to sort the issue.  I did a windows update for optional updates.  A couple of reboots later and I now have an updated driver (see attached)

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In the algorithm I gave you, it said, right there in Step 2, to disconnect completely from the Internet. You didn't do so. That was why you were seeing rollbacks and strange behaviour. 

...S

0 Kudos