Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Wireless-ac 3165

DReyn2
Beginner

Hi all,

For the past few weeks I have been having BSOD problems with my laptop. I first tried uninstalling and reinstalling my graphics driver from the advice of a friend which didn't help. I then looked around and found it could have been my wireless driver which I uninstalled and reinstalled again.

For a while this didn't work so I looked up what the problem is within the mini dumps of my crash reports and it stated that it was due to the wireless adapter. So again I uninstalled the driver and all the software and reinstalled it.

I did this a few times and on my last few attempts I didn't restart my laptop (which is says it needs to do for it to fully finish the installation) and if i did the laptop would continue to crash and cause BSOD.

At the moment my laptop and internet work completely fine as long as I do not turn off or restart it after installing the driver software. (Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165

Any help or advice would be great.

Message was edited by: Daniel Reynolds UPDATE: Laptop has just crashed (BSOD) even without restarting or turning it off to complete the installation of the drivers.

Minidump Info:

On Mon 16/10/2017 14:31:21 your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\101617-34187-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: netwtw04.sys (Netwtw04+0x3E35F8) Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFF80000003, 0xFFFFF80199D9DBF5, 0xFFFF9C80D8206508, 0xFFFF9C80D8205D50) Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\netwtw04.sys product: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Adapter company: Intel Corporation description: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: netwtw04.sys (Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver, Intel Corporation). Google query: Intel Corporation SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Mon 16/10/2017 14:31:21 your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0) Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFF80000003, 0xFFFFF80199D9DBF5, 0xFFFF9C80D8206508, 0xFFFF9C80D8205D50) Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 14/10/2017 19:24:27 your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\101417-29921-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: netwtw04.sys (Netwtw04+0x3E35F8) Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFF80000003, 0xFFFFF8019E796BF5, 0xFFFFDA81261A0508, 0xFFFFDA812619FD50) Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\netwtw04.sys product: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Adapter company: Intel Corporation description: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: netwtw04.sys (Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver, Intel Corporation). Google query: Intel Corporation SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Sat 14/10/2017 18:56:05 your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\101417-28750-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: netwtw04.sys (Netwtw04+0x3E35F8) Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFF80000003, 0xFFFFF8039059CBF5, 0xFFFFDF01B3EA8508, 0xFFFFDF01B3EA7D50) Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\netwtw04.sys product: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Adapter company: Intel Corporation description: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: netwtw04.sys (Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver, Intel Corporation). Google query: Intel Corporation SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Sat 14/10/2017 14:56:11 your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\101417-35890-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: netwtw04.sys (Netwtw04+0x3E35F8) Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFF80000003, 0xFFFFF801BCF15BF5, 0xFFFFCA00A9A53508, 0xFFFFCA00A9A52D50) Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\netwtw04.sys product: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Adapter company: Intel Corporation description: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: netwtw04.sys (Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver, Intel Corporation). Google query: Intel Corporation SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Dan_reynolds,

We understand that you are having BSOD problems related to Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165.

In order to better understand your situation we would like to confirm the following information:

-Could you please confirm the brand and model of the system?

-Is this the adapter that came with your computer or did you replace it?

-Did you make any changes to the system before the situation started?

-Download https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Intel® System Support Utility, run the tool and use it to create a report with all sections, on the next screen Save the report to a file. Then use the Advanced editor options to add the resulting XML file to your post as an attachment.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
DReyn2
Beginner

Hi Junior,

The brand of my laptop is a HP Envy notebook, system model is 80BA, runs windows 10 64-bit operating system

The adapter came with the laptop, no modifications have been made to the laptop in any way.

No changes were made to the system prior to the problem started. Simply turned it on one day and it began. I have however performed a complete factory reset of my laptop about a week ago which still didn't solve or help the problem.

I have attached the file you requested.

Many thanks.

Dan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Dan_reynolds,

Thanks for the information provided. It seems that the driver you are using is this 19.1.0.4 and the latest version available for your adapter is 19.51.7.2.

We recommend you to perform a clean drivers installation and try with our generic drivers, please follow the next steps:
  1. Download the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27203/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10
  2. Right click on the start menu.
  3. Select the option that says "Device Manager".
  4. Expand the Network Adapters category.
  5. Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.
  6. Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.
  7. Clear out your temporary files, Press the Windows* key and R key simultaneously to open the run box.
  8. Type in: cleanmgr.exe and press the Enter key or OK.
  9. Place a checkmark next to Temporary Files. You can leave everything else checked or unchecked.
  10. Press OK and wait.
  11. Reboot your computer.
  12. Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator and follow the wizard to completion.
Note:(Optional Step) Apply the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000024678.html Recommended Settings for Wireless Connectivity.

Please let us know if that works.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
DReyn2
Beginner

Hi Junior,

I went through the steps you said above and the problem still happens.

I have had 2 crashes today and tried going through the steps you mentioned to see if it would work and it still crashes.

Many thanks,

Dan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Dan_reynolds,

Thanks for the information provided. Since our generic drivers did not work, we recommend you to try with the https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-13-d000-notebook-pc/7771341/model/11006575 OEM drivers.

If that does not work, try with the inbox driver that is included on Windows*. In order for you to access the Inbox driver you just need to delete the drivers with the steps provided before and once they are deleted then restart the computer and they will be automatically loaded.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there.

Please let us know if that works.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
DReyn2
Beginner

Hi Junior,

Still no luck these past few days. I took the steps you suggested in the last reply but i'm still experiencing BSODs. Any other advice you could give?

Many thanks,

Dan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Dan_reynolds,

Thanks for the update. In this case, we recommend for you to reinstall Windows(R) 10. If that does not work, we advise you to contact the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html manufacturer of your system as this is an OEM adapter.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options Recovery options in Windows(R) 10 -support.microsoft.com

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Dan_reynolds,

We haven't heard back from you in a while. We would like to know if there is something else we can assist you with.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos