Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Wireless disconnections with Dual Band 7260 + 802.11n network

NPriv
Beginner

Hello,

I have big issues with my wireless connection and I found this support forum with very similar problem described, so maybe you can help me. Especially in this topic :

I have the same symptoms : frequent wifi disconnections despite an up to date configuration with Intel Dual Band 7260 and a network on 802.11n. I had sometimes same kind of problems before but not frequently and in some specific conditions (long time connect, after PC falling asleep...). Since the last Windows update it became systematic to be disconnect after 5-10 minutes. The restart of wireless card through "windows solving internet issue" work each time but it is'nt viable naturally to do that every 5 minutes. I also tried to disable ipv6 but it doesn't change anything.

You could find attached the detailed system report. Feel free to ask more details if you need.

Thank for your help.

PS : Sorry for my english, I'm french native speaker.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello Nicolas-P,

We understand you're experiencing frequent disconnections from your legacy 802.11n network ever since updating to the Fall Creators Update (RS3) Windows® 10 build.

As a starting point, please try a driver only clean installation:

1. Download and extract our latest IT Admin driver for your adapter: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27312 WiFi_20.10.2_Driver64_Win10.zip

2. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel or Apps & Features in Windows* Settings, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else and select OK.

5. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 again, this time choose to "Update driver software..." > Select the option to "Locate and install driver software manually." Here you will need to direct the wizard to the location where you extracted the IT Admin package back in step one.

6. Reboot your computer.

After the reboot we can recommend adjusting the following https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html advanced adapter settings:

1. 802.11n channel width:

1. Band 2.4: 20 MHz Only

2. Band 5.2: Auto

2. Roaming Aggressiveness:

1. For home use: 1. Lowest

2. For enterprise environments with multiple APs: Check with your network administrator, keep as low as possible.

3. HT Mode: HT Mode. (VHT Mode enables 802.11ac, HT mode limits your adapter to 802.11n and helps with compatibility for legacy N networks).

If these steps do not resolve the issue, please generate an Intel® System Support Utility report, which will contain more information than the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant report.

1. Download and run the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® System Support Utility.

2. Select to scan "everything," and run the scan while connected to your wireless network (if possible).

3. Save the report and attach it to your reply.

Note: To enable attachments, make sure to switch to the advanced editor while replying.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Nicolas-P,

We understand you're experiencing frequent disconnections from your legacy 802.11n network ever since updating to the Fall Creators Update (RS3) Windows® 10 build.

As a starting point, please try a driver only clean installation:

1. Download and extract our latest IT Admin driver for your adapter: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27312 WiFi_20.10.2_Driver64_Win10.zip

2. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel or Apps & Features in Windows* Settings, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else and select OK.

5. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 again, this time choose to "Update driver software..." > Select the option to "Locate and install driver software manually." Here you will need to direct the wizard to the location where you extracted the IT Admin package back in step one.

6. Reboot your computer.

After the reboot we can recommend adjusting the following https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html advanced adapter settings:

1. 802.11n channel width:

1. Band 2.4: 20 MHz Only

2. Band 5.2: Auto

2. Roaming Aggressiveness:

1. For home use: 1. Lowest

2. For enterprise environments with multiple APs: Check with your network administrator, keep as low as possible.

3. HT Mode: HT Mode. (VHT Mode enables 802.11ac, HT mode limits your adapter to 802.11n and helps with compatibility for legacy N networks).

If these steps do not resolve the issue, please generate an Intel® System Support Utility report, which will contain more information than the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant report.

1. Download and run the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® System Support Utility.

2. Select to scan "everything," and run the scan while connected to your wireless network (if possible).

3. Save the report and attach it to your reply.

Note: To enable attachments, make sure to switch to the advanced editor while replying.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
NPriv
Beginner

Hello Carlos,

Thanks a lot for you answer. I followed your process step by step and it seems to work until now. I will confirm you if it still stable after some hours/days.

Nicolas

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nicolas-P,

We will keep our fingers crossed. Please update us either way.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
NPriv
Beginner

Hello,

Little update : I have been disconnected only once during the last 3 days so I can confirm it's works properly.

Thank you for your help Carlos.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nicolas-P,

We're glad to have been able to help. Thank you for the confirmation.

If there's anything else we can help you with, feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos