Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7437 Discussions

Yoga C930-13ikb upgrade to Intel AX200

Grennydar
Beginner

I have asked  Lenovo this question but unfortunately could not answer my question, they suggested I contact Intel.

Can I upgrade my Yoga C930-13ikb wifi card from Intel Wireless AC 9260 9260.NGWG.NV to an Intel Wireless AX200 adapter?

Many thanks 

A

Grennydar

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I don't understand why they sent you here when it comes down to a question that THEY must answer...

The Wireless-AC 9260 is a standard M.2 Type E card. The Wireless-AX WiFi 6 AX200 is also a standard M.2 Type E card. This means that, from a physical standpoint, an upgrade could occur -- but, this will only work if the BIOS in this laptop does not implement any inclusion and/or exclusion lists that would disallow it (which is the question that THEY need to answer). While you're asking them that, I would also verify that performing this upgrade yourself is not going to void your laptop's warranty.

I might recommend that you upgrade to the AX210 module instead of the AX200. The prices of these modules is essentially the same, but you get WiFi 6e and Bluetooth 5.2 support with the AX210 module instead of (just) WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 with the AX200 module.

If you are ready to do this upgrade, note this process for actually performing this upgrade:

1. Download - but do not install just yet - the latest Intel Bluetooth and Intel Wireless device driver packages.
  2. Uninstall completely the existing Intel Bluetooth and intel Wireless device driver packages.
  3. Shutdown and disconnect external power to the laptop.
  4. Disconnect the antenna wires from the 9260NGW. Remember which was connected to the #1 connector.
  5. Replace the 9260NGW with the AX200NGW (or AX210NGW).
  6. Reconnect the antenna wires in the same order to the new module.
  7. Power back up and boot into Windows.
  8. Install the latest Intel Bluetooth and Intel Wireless device driver packages that you downloaded earlier.
  9. Test.

Hope this helps,

…S

P.S. Just to be clear and complete (but hopefully not confuse), you cannot use an AX201 module in this laptop. This module will physically install, but requires a special version of the connector, called a CNVio2 connector, in order to work properly. Summarizing, yes to AX200, yes to AX210, but no to AX201. Clear as mud?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I don't understand why they sent you here when it comes down to a question that THEY must answer...

The Wireless-AC 9260 is a standard M.2 Type E card. The Wireless-AX WiFi 6 AX200 is also a standard M.2 Type E card. This means that, from a physical standpoint, an upgrade could occur -- but, this will only work if the BIOS in this laptop does not implement any inclusion and/or exclusion lists that would disallow it (which is the question that THEY need to answer). While you're asking them that, I would also verify that performing this upgrade yourself is not going to void your laptop's warranty.

I might recommend that you upgrade to the AX210 module instead of the AX200. The prices of these modules is essentially the same, but you get WiFi 6e and Bluetooth 5.2 support with the AX210 module instead of (just) WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 with the AX200 module.

If you are ready to do this upgrade, note this process for actually performing this upgrade:

1. Download - but do not install just yet - the latest Intel Bluetooth and Intel Wireless device driver packages.
  2. Uninstall completely the existing Intel Bluetooth and intel Wireless device driver packages.
  3. Shutdown and disconnect external power to the laptop.
  4. Disconnect the antenna wires from the 9260NGW. Remember which was connected to the #1 connector.
  5. Replace the 9260NGW with the AX200NGW (or AX210NGW).
  6. Reconnect the antenna wires in the same order to the new module.
  7. Power back up and boot into Windows.
  8. Install the latest Intel Bluetooth and Intel Wireless device driver packages that you downloaded earlier.
  9. Test.

Hope this helps,

…S

P.S. Just to be clear and complete (but hopefully not confuse), you cannot use an AX201 module in this laptop. This module will physically install, but requires a special version of the connector, called a CNVio2 connector, in order to work properly. Summarizing, yes to AX200, yes to AX210, but no to AX201. Clear as mud?

0 Kudos
Grennydar
Beginner

Unfortunately when it come to support Lenovo fails miserable. Thank you for your advice I understand about the difference in AX200 and the AX201. 

I will be ordering the AX200NGW later today. From there I will see how we go.

Again Many Thanks

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Let us know how it goes..

I am testing a couple of AX200's (and one AX210) in a couple of PCs (with carrier cards) and a couple of NUCs (some I upgraded). I am using tp-link AX1500 and AX1800 routers for multi-floor, full-home coverage. So far, I have not seen any of the disconnection issues that others have complained about.

...S

0 Kudos
mmacias2345
Beginner

Did you have any success with upgrading to the Intel AX200? I'm looking to do the same with my Yoga C930.

0 Kudos
J-IA
Beginner

Updated answer: 

community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Yoga-C930-13ikb-upgrade-to-Intel-AX200/m-p/1349850#M39711

0 Kudos
J-IA
Beginner

I can confirm that the AX210 card is compatible with the C930-13IKB.

If the 210 is compatible then the 200 should be as well considering they use the same driver. I installed it earlier this weekend and have had no issues.

Just make sure you download the AX200/210 drivers, uninstall your old device then install the AX200/210 drivers (in that order) before installing the new hardware. Otherwise you'll have to hardwire connect to the internet to get the drivers.

You will also need to do the same for your Bluetooth drivers and remove/reconnect your Bluetooth devices.  That can be done after install though.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos