Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

ac 7265 change to 2.4 gig

KWebe
Beginner

I am really getting upset with all the wrong information I have gotten about this problem.

On this adapter I am set to 5 gigs. I want to change o 2.4 gigs. It has nothing to do with adapter problems.

Can someone tell me how to change to the low band PLEASE

Thank You Ken

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KWebe
Beginner

Someone must know the answer to this very simple question. Who will answer first HP or Intel ?

NOT VERY HAPPY WITH SUPPORT AT THIS POINT

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Ken,

The Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 supports both: 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz bands. Here is some basic information about the selection of the wireless band:

- The best way to guarantee that you will connect using 2.4 GHz is in the configuration of the Wireless Access Point. You can assign a unique Network name (SSID) for the 2.4 GHz, and if your AP supports dual bands and multiple SSID's, you can create another one for 5 GHz using a different name. We advise you to check with your Access Point's manufacturer about this.

- From the adapter side, the most you could do is to set a preferred band in the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005585.html Advanced Intel® Wireless Adapter Settings: Preferred band - "Prefer 2.4 GHz band".

However, this only means that the adapter will attempt to use 2.4 whenever possible, in cases where the same SSID features 2.4 and 5 GHz connectivity. This setting does not guarantee that you will always use 2.4. It normally applies to networks with multiple access points and roaming capabilities.

Please let us know if this helps resolve your inquiry, or if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
KWebe
Beginner

I know about the different ssid settings. My Daughter does not want me to access the gateway although I have. I have to research the gateway to see if

a second ssid can be used. I changed settings in the card and finally got them on 2.4 gig. Everything in the house uses WiFi on 5 gigs. and I think the gateway could not handle the traffic or there is a basic problem with the gateway and the WiFi was crashing.

PS About 12 years ago I gave my Daughter a very good security program and she got a virus and blamed me. I am versed with pc's at home and at work.

Built my owe, repaired them for work friends and repaired OS/2 voice mail computers at work.

Thank You

Ken Weber

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Ken,

We are glad to know that you were able to figure this out with the information provided. We would like to add that if WiFi is crashing, you might want to obtain the latest wireless driver from the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support, and also check with the Access point manufacturer about firmware updates for it.

Feel free to let us know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos