Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

advanced-n 6205 for desktop unsigned drivers installation issues...

idata
Employee

this is driving me absolutely crazy... just purchased the advanced-n 6205 for desktop from newegg and have tried all combinations of drivers and my windows 7 x64 system will not recognize the card. it seems as looking in device manager that the drivers are unsigned and not allowing the card to install correctly. furthermore, installation of the drivers seems to freeze up the system and causes me to hard reboot. i have gotten the drivers and the software to install, but the "unsigned" drivers seems to be the problem at hand right now as the card just will not be recognized.

i've seen a lot of issues and posts with these drivers but really no resolution. most of them have to do with dell pc's and that's not what i have here... it's a home built rig, freshly installed with windows 7 x64 and fully "updated" with windows update.

anyone have any thoughts or know how to fix these drivers ? none seem to work AT ALL... on the CD it came with, on the support site, etc... all are unsigned...

i don't want to have to return this damn thing, but i am not having any luck...

Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi jsunv618,

I am sorry to hear that you have some issues with the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205 for Desktop; if it is possible we would like to have more information about your system like:

System configuration:

• Chipset model:

• Motherboard model:

• Processor:

• BIOS version and release date:

Also we would like to recommend taking the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205 for Desktop and testing it into a different system to check if you have the same issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

jsunv618,

Have you been able to solve this?

I have almost the exact same problem. I also bought the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 from NewEgg, but I'm trying to install it on an older Windows XP Pro 32-bit machine (with all Microsoft updates installed). I've tried numerous times to install the drivers, but the machine does a hard freeze at what appears to be very near the end of the drivers install. I'm forced to do a hard reset of the machine, and when I do the hard reset, the machine does another hard freeze during reboot. At this point, I'm forced to do a hard power off and physically remove the 6205, re-power the machine, and then do a system restore to the previous night.

I've tried downloading the drivers from Intel instead of using the drivers on CD, but still can't install without a freeze.

I've tried using the system task manager to kill most tasks (including my anti-virus and anti-malware). Still no dice.

I've tried uninstalling the drivers for my wired network adapter, but still no dice.

I've tried logging into the machine as another administrative user, but still can't install without a freeze.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Mark, as you requested from jsunv618, here is my system configuration. Please note that I have physically removed the Advanced-N 6205 prior to generating this data:

Finally, please note that I do not have another Windows XP machine available to attempt a 2nd installation.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Otherwise, I'll be returning this unit ASAP.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Thank you very much for posting the system information.

Please let me know, is the wireless adapter detected in device manager when connected? Is there an exclamation mark in the device driver? What is the driver status when you open the properties window?

You may try updating the BIOS in your system to see if that makes a difference. I was also wondering if you have any chance to test the wireless adapter in a different system, not necessarily with Windows* XP. This is due to a possible compatibility issue.

I hope the suggestions will be helpful.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Joe_Intel,

You asked: "Please let me know, is the wireless adapter detected in device manager when connected? Is there an exclamation mark in the device driver? What is the driver status when you open the properties window?"

Answer: Please see my post above (# 2 in the thread). My workstation does a hard-freeze during the installation of the 6205. The only way to recover was to do a hard reset. When the machine is rebooting after the hard reset, the machine again does a hard-freeze during the reboot. The only way to avoid a hard-freeze is to physically remove the 6205. Therefore, regarding your questions, I cannot see anything regarding the 6205 in the device manager.

Any new suggestions based on this information?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jeff,

The idea is to find out if the adapter shows up under "other devices" in device manager when you physically install the card and before you attempted to load the drivers. Since if the adapter does not show the issue would be hardware related and a driver install would not help.

If the adapter does show up you would try to install the base driver from here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/21559/eng/Wireless_15.2.0_x32.exe&lang=eng&Dwnldid=21559 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/21559/eng/Wireless_15.2.0_x32.exe&lang=eng&Dwnldid=21559

Also if you have the option on this desktop try to connect this network adapter to a different PCIe slot, it will work in a PCIe x1 (shortest) and most boards have two of these ports. Try to avoid connecting it to the PCIe X16 slot since those are usually keyed for graphics cards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the same problem, when you install the driver the computer hangs during install, even if you just try to install the driver on its own.

You restart the machine and it hangs at the Windows XP splash screen.

To get the computer to restart with the card in place, I have to boot into safe mode and disable the card. \once the card is disabled then it the computer will boot. The 2 pictures below are with the card enables in safe mode. And the top one is with the card disabled in normal mode.

I recently purchased one of these card and put it in my wifes laptop with no issues. But don't fancy taking that apart again just to check whether this card works.

The Motherboard is a ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe. it only has the one PCI-e x1 slot.

Later in the week I will try Win 7 on this machine to see if it is a problem with XP.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Please post your results with Windows 7. As far as you describe it the issue appears to be related to compatibility of some sort. I am not sure if you already tried a BIOS update as I mentioned before since it may help.

0 Kudos
MNguy19
Beginner

I'm running into the same issue. I have an EVGA NForce 780i SLI FTW Motherboard (132-YW-E178-A1). I run a single graphics card in the PCI Express x16 Slot # 1 (closest to the CPU). The fan cooler on the graphics card prevents me from installing the 6205 card into the PCI Express x1 Slot. I have attempted to install in both the secondary and tertiary PCI Express x16 Slots.

I attempted to run my graphics card in PCI Express x16 Slot # 2, but the system would not complete POST. I received an error stating the graphics card needed to be in PCI Express x16 Slot # 1. Therefore, using PCI Express x1 is not possible.

Each time I try and install the drivers (CD or latest and greatest from Intel website) my computer freezes at the Windows 7 (64-bit) splash screen upon the required reboot. I have been able to boot to the desktop but the Device Manager shows a yellow "!" next to the adapter and states Windows cannot load the driver for this device.

Has a solution been found? Do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks,

Minh

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello sandiegonative,

In your case specifically it appears to be an unavoidable hardware limitation since your motherboard has three PCI Express X16 slots that are "reserved for graphics or video cards" and the PCI Express X1 is apparently not in the best location. See page 23 of the motherboard's manual.

http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/132-yw-e178.pdf http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/132-yw-e178.pdf

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

0 Kudos
MNguy19
Beginner

Just for "shits and giggles" I brought home a PCI Video Card in order to be able to use the 6205 Card in the PCI Express x1 slot. The system did not lock up on reboot but the card still doesn't work.

Initially, the Device Manager had the 6205 disabled (yellow "!"). Upon enabling it, the Device Properties showed "This device cannot start. (Error Code 10)".

Any other options before I return this card to Amazon with a horrible review?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Then, I can only suggest testing the adapter in a different computer just to see if it is a compatibility issue or a faulty adapter. I am sorry for this inconvenience.

0 Kudos