Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

drivers don't seem to properly install on Windows 8.1?

IHoyl
Beginner

I have a Sony Vaio Z running Windows 8.1 Enterprise and has 6230 hardware.

I was having trouble with the out-of-box wifi driver blue screening when connecting to a Nokia Lumia 920 hotspot (known issue and now fixed). The driver was signed as a Microsoft provider and a version of something like 15.4.1.1 (can't quite remember)

I downloaded the latest 16.5.3 drivers and ran the Intel ProSet utility but the wifi driver was unchanged.

I then ran the utility "as administrator" and again, no update or change.

Hmmm, what's wrong?

I then downloaded the latest driver from the Sony site. After starting the install it is clear that Sony has simply wrapped an executable wrapper around the Intel driver package - in this case v16.5.0

It worked!!! My wifi driver updated and the bluescreens stopped. The provider of the driver is now Intel and the version is 15.9.0.5

But, if I try to use the 16.5.3 package to update to the latest driver set it again fails. It simply fails to update things.

Is the driver incorrectly packaged for use with Windows 8.1?

ian

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I would recommend staying with the OEM driver.

The package 16.5.3 does not contain a driver for your adapter, the same goes for 16.6.0. The list of supported adapters appears at the bottom of the page for each package version.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/proset-ws/sb/CS-034041.htm Intel� PROSet/Wireless Software; Intel� PROSet/ Wireless Software Downloads

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I would recommend staying with the OEM driver.

The package 16.5.3 does not contain a driver for your adapter, the same goes for 16.6.0. The list of supported adapters appears at the bottom of the page for each package version.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/proset-ws/sb/CS-034041.htm Intel� PROSet/Wireless Software; Intel� PROSet/ Wireless Software Downloads

0 Kudos
IHoyl
Beginner

Thanks Joe, yes now I see the supported adapters ...... I missed that

The package behaviour fooled me. It installed the ProSet tools and looked to be installing the wifi drivers (as indicated on the installation status).

If you can make any change for the future, I'd throw a visual warning of a unsupported adapter. That way there would be no confusion.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I will certainly communicate your suggestion. Thanks!

0 Kudos