Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

dual band wireless AC 7260 forces modem/router to restart when making connection

jacosta64
Beginner

Since last week I have a problem with my Dell E5440 laptop with a Intel dual band wireless AC 7260 card in it. Everytime the laptop tries to make connection to my modem/ router (Genexis Platinum 8740) the modem reset's itself and starts up again. For a while its stays on, but after a while it resets again, and again.
The modem seems not to be the problem, because I tried to make connection to the modem oif my parents, and the the same happens to theit modem.

I checked for driver updates, but this is up-to-date.  When I remove the AC 7260 card and use a USB-wifi stick, I can make connection without any problem.
Can it be some software issue, or is the card just broken?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sounds like the card may have failed. But, just to be sure, let's look at the logs, etc. 

Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows. Select all data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

...S

0 Kudos
jacosta64
Beginner

Thank you for the reply.  Here is the log file

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am only seeing minor issues in the log file.

• Your graphics driver is not the latest version available from intel (though, if this is a laptop, it might be the latest version available from Dell).
  • You have the latest Intel Wireless driver package installed but do not have the corresponding Intel Bluetooth driver package installed. All I can see is the Microsoft basic Bluetooth driver - and this has been known to cause some issues - so I would recommend that you install the Intel package if you are using, or planning to use, Bluetooth.
  • You are not using RAID and you are not using Optane, so there is absolutely no need for you to have Intel RST installed. I recommend you uninstall it.
  • You are using an older build (20H1) of Windows 10. I recommend you upgrade to the latest (20H2). Note also that 21H1 is due to be released soon.

Bottom line, I am seeing nothing that would persuade me that the problem is not with the hardware. You could replace the 7260 module with another 7260 or slightly improve things with a 7265 module. Both are almost the same price (well, here in the U.S.). Just make sure that, if you have a 7260HMW, you replace it with a 7260HMW/7265HMW and, if you have a 7260NGW, you replace it with a 7260NGW/7265NGW.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
jacosta64
Beginner

Thank you very much for your help. I fixed the bluetooth driver and the windows update.  I tried to remove the Intel RST program, but I get a warning not to remove it, so for now I leave it the way it is.

I discovered that the problem is in the 5G wifi. So for now I can use the old wifi card, when I connect to the 2.4G wifi. 
As soon as I try to connect to the 5G, the modem restarts again.

I think I try to find a new AC 7260 card

0 Kudos
jacosta64
Beginner

I switched-off the 5G signal in the router configuration for a while, and then I didn't have any problem with my internet connection (so only 2.4GHz).
But I wanted to know for sure that the problem was the wifi AC 7260 card, so today I installed a new AC 7260 card. With this new card I have the same problem as with my old AC 7260. As soon as I connect to the 5GHz wifi network with this laptopo, the router restarts itself again.

So I am lost. Don't know what to do next to solve this problem.

0 Kudos