Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

dual band wireless-ac 8265 will not stay asleep - WOWLAN issues

JJohn95
Beginner

wake on lan is working fine with my wired network on the same computer, but with the same settings for WowLan on W10 (in the driver settings: enable wake on magic packet, and checking only allow wake on magic packet in power settings) the computer is waking up 5 to 20 minutes after it goes to sleep.

Since its working perfectly for the wired setup on the same computer, I assume my windows is setup correctly, and the issue is with the wireless somehow, but I'm not sure how to correct it. Ive also disabled wake on pattern match in the driver settings. The windows event viewer also shows the wireless adapter is reasonsible for waking the computer, but doesn't indicate why. Help appreciated, thanks!

mobo: msi b250i gaming pro ac

0 Kudos
32 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello JJohn95 Thank you for posting in the Intel Community. • Are you using the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 desktop kit on your system? Please provide me a picture of the adapter installed. • Have you tried a clean install of the wireless diver? Reference link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html. • Pleas provide me with a picture of the setting that you have on your system for WOWLAN? • Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility • Steps to save the report: 1- Run the utility. 2- Click on “Scan” to get the scanned system. 3- Once the scan is complete click on “next”. 4- Use the “save” option, save the report to your desktop. 5- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box. Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JJohn95
Beginner

I cant take pictures of all settings for wake on lan issues across all windows and bios, but Im assuming its all setup correctly as its working with my wired network. Thanks!

driver.png

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello JJohn95 Thank you for the information • Have you tried doing a clean driver install with OEM drivers? o Steps: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html. o Download link: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B250I-GAMING-PRO-AC#down-driver&Win10%2064 • Did you perform any SW/HW changes before this issue started? • Did this system worked fine at some point before? • Have you test the computer on a different network? • Is the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 the adapter that came with the motherboard? Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JJohn95
Beginner

Yes, Ive tried several clean installs.

No sw/hw changes, its a new computer

No, system in wireless never worked correctly

No other networks, just the wired card

yes, came with mobo.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello JJohn95

Please provide me with the information requested on the file attached and the MSINFO32 report; this information will be helpful to investigate the behavior

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello JJohn95 Have you been able to collect the information requested? Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JJohn95
Beginner

not yet, i plan to tomorrow.

0 Kudos
JJohn95
Beginner

msinfo doesnt seem to work for w10? do you have specific instructions?

most of the things in the document arent relevant, obvious or already provided.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello JJohn95 Thank you for the data provided, allow me to investigate the case with the information available. I will be posting back as soon as news becomes available. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello JJohn95 Thank you for waiting. Can you try installing the IT download? https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000017246/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Please follow clean install of the wireless diver procedure provided previously to install the IT driver Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello JJohn95 Have you tried the installation of the driver provided? Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JJohn95
Beginner

there are lots of download links there, is there one i should choose? I tried one - but it didn't work.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello JJohn95 Can you try the version 20.120.1? Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JJohn95
Beginner

Hello, tried that one, didnt work.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello JJohn95 Thank you for the testing allow me to investigate this case, in order to continue the investigation please provide me with an updated Intel® System Support Utility for Windows* report. • Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility • Steps to save the report: 1- Run the utility. 2- Click on “Scan” to get the scanned system. 3- Once the scan is complete click on “next”. 4- Use the “save” option, save the report to your desktop. 5- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JJohn95
Beginner

What?! You asked me to do this already, in this same thread. I already included it.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello JJohn95 In order to continue investigation you the case is important to have the updated Intel® System Support Utility for Windows* report with all the recent software changes. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JJohn95
Beginner

the software link is the exact same as before - and it was updated 9/13/2018, so nothing has changed?

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello JJohn95 Allow me to investigate the behavior i will be posting as soon as news becomes available. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello JJohn95 Thank you for waiting. - How do you know the wireless adapter is waking up the computer? Can you provide more inside on the behavior? Does the behavior happens when the system is only connecting with the wireless (no wired network)? - Did you check with other devices if the same behavior happens? - Can you test on a different router if the system wakes on the wireless connection? Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos