Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

intel centrino advanced-n 6235 sporadic dropouts and freezing

JB26
New Contributor I

We have brand new Samsung NP700Z5C-S02UB's Series7 with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 wireless card. We are having major issues with WiFi strength and also the connection dropping out and stuttering that is bad enough to drop downloads and uploads to servers. I have faster speeds, better range and a more secure connection with our WEBos phones and everyone knows how horrible they are. I also have better range, coverage and speed with my other HP laptop which uses a BROADCOM chipset.

Please fix this issue with the Intel chipset and WifI driver for the N6235, the laptop is completely unusable at this point for work. I will switch the company to HP with Broadcom drivers if you don't.

We are nearing the return time of the Samsung laptop and still no resolution for this major, Failtel you really bl6235 I connectionte

75 Replies
tvete
Valued Contributor II

I don't agree with the settings from # 6.

Fat Channel Intolerant enabled slows your adapter link speeds to half of what it can do (eg. 150 Mbps max instead of 300 Mbps because you're telling the adapter to disable channel bonding and channel bonding makes the channel "fat") and transmit power lower than highest further reduces that speed and signal quality. So by enabling these settings you're paying for a dual band N300 adapter with weaker signals instead of a dual band N600 adapter with great speeds and throughput.

Honestly, it's just the driver's fault since all of the software tweaks performed only produce mixed results.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I had same problem here with a Samsung Series 9 with a Centrino Advanced-N 6235.

I solved the problem going in Control Panel and editing my power plan.

I edited the "Samsung optimized" power plan: in the advanced power plan options I selected "Wireless Adapter Settings" and "Power Saving Mode" then I switched "On battery" setting from "Maximum Power Savings" to "Maximum Performance".

Now the adapter works great with default settings.

Hope this can help.

0 Kudos
DCaro
Beginner

I hope it isn't incorrect to throw in my experience here. I am not a very savvy computer user but I recently had to replace two laptops. I purchased a higher end Toshiba, brought it home, set it all up, and my wifi logged on and then had intermittent connections - nothing I did helped. I took it back and replaced it with a new computer same model - the same thing happened. I took it back and got an HP and it seems a bit more stable so far. Then I purchased a very high end Sony Vaio and it has the Broadcom adapter and I am having HORRIBLE connectivity issues. It drops in and out constantly. I cannot connect to most wi-fi spots or hotels at all and where I work. The speed is very slow. I am SO frustrated because I am on my 6th laptop to replace two. I don't know what the adapter was in the Toshiba - but I do know that all are Windows 8 and I can't help but think it has something to do with that. I can't get anyone to help me and I don't want to take back these two new laptops because it seems there are no laptops out there that can connect to wi-fi and stay connected. I am SO bummed that both of my laptops died and had to be replaced. I am at a total loss as to how to deal with this issue.....no one seems to be able to help...

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

You may try the latest Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software version 16.1.5 for Windows* 8.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23169 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23169

0 Kudos
ZW1
Beginner

Has anyone tested this new version 15.1:5, and if so does it solve the wireless problem .....?

Zevs

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Alright.... Finally have "sort of" solved this thing.

1. Set 802.11n channel width for band 2.4mhz to - AUTO

2. Set Roaming Aggressiveness to - HIGHEST

3. The wireless has been now connecting to 802.11g "g" not "n", and I've had perfect connection.

Clearly 802.11n "n" is the problem.... Now, it could be that my router is simply selecting "g" for the moment, I don't know, there isn't a setting in Advanced for disabling 802.11n in the 7260.

Anyone know how to disable the "n" in the 7260?

Did setting the "Auto" above simply make it connect to the best network?

I've set these settings before and they did nothing. Of course, I was still connecting to the "n" network, not "g" so I'm guessing the "n" network is the problem with certain routers and intel and otherwise cards especially on Win8 (some also apparently on Win7 depending on driver).

I need to know how to disable the "n" on my end just in case the router and laptop decides to connect to the "n" network again. I can disable through the router, telling it to only use the "b & g" networks, but if this happens in the future like if I travel, or if my roommate who's a jerk decides to change the box login (he doesn't know I've went in, and not telling him because he is a jerk (long story) ), I need to be able to stop my computer using the "n" network.

Anyway, I've confirmed, tested 2 hours now, it's working, not a single noticed drop. But, this is only a workaround, I guess I'm loosing internet speed/strength by not connecting to the "n" network?

So INTEL..... Please fix whatever is wrong with your "n" network connection and certain mainstream routers.

Again, I'm on a CenturyLink router now.

Also, I'm using the default Microsoft driver 16.0.0.62..... although, I don't think it matters which I use, since it's clearly the "802.11n" that is at issue, so as long as I don't connect with that, I'm good.

UPDATE..... Installed "InSSIDer for Home" Wireless monitor and it's saying I'm connected to "n" not "g"???

Or is that just telling me what my router is capable of? I don't think so right??? Doesn't make sense, Windows in Task Manager is telling me I'm connected to "g"?

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Don't post the same thing on other threads. Besides, this thread is for Intel 6235 not 7260!

0 Kudos
SDolm
Beginner

I've had problems maintaining connections with the Intel 6235 adapter in my Samsung Series 9 on some networks in particular, and I would often have to reset the adapter to reestablish a connection. I believe the following advanced settings has solved the problem for me:

1. 802.11n Channel Width for 2.4... 20 Mhz Only
  2. Bluetooth AMP... Disabled
  3. Fat Channel Intolerant... Enabled
  4. Roaming Aggressiveness... 1. Lowest
0 Kudos
IKubi
Beginner

Thanks instantrunoff, it seems your solution did a trick and so far, i got no intense dropouts. Since the changes i had no issues (fingers crossed ). But it could be too soon to say (i have made changes yesterday evening). But so far so good.

BTW: I got Intel NUC D54250WYK 
0 Kudos
IKubi
Beginner

Settings were good, dropouts reduced. However dropouts still existed. I did disabled 802.11n completely, but it was still not perfect. Surprisingly, since i mount my NUC to the wall (yesterday evening), and left that settings i stopped having dropouts. Weird.

0 Kudos
IKubi
Beginner

Ok, i have finally solved all the problems. I get rid of centrino 6235 and bought model 2230. Speed is great, no juggling in settings. OS stopped hanging.

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

No update for 8/1 yet. That should be available next year around this time if Intel keeps to the same turn around time.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034535.htm?wapkw=6235 Intel� Wi-Fi Products — TechNote: Sporadic wireless disconnects caused by data reordering issue

0 Kudos
RGhor
Novice

Is your model 2230 still stable and working?

I thought model 6205 was better but now it stops working almost 2 time during the day and i cant even disable/enable it. It pretty much make my NUC stop working properly, if i press disable it just tries to disable the card and keep doing that for ages and if i shutdown it wont shutdown so i have to hard reset it. Its so frustrating that none of Intel's so called highend cards work stable enough. I have a pure Win7 x64 with pretty much nothing installed except VLC and firefox.

intel dont seem to care much either from what i can see :/

Anyone know of a better PCI card that can fit a NUC?

Also where do i get the Athros driver people talk about? I also have a feeling this is a software issue so maybe that could be a solution ....

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

vampyren wrote:

Anyone know of a better PCI card that can fit a NUC?

Also where do i get the Athros driver people talk about? I also have a feeling this is a software issue so maybe that could be a solution ....

I recommend the Azurewave CE123H. It's a WiFi card that uses the Broadcom BCM4352 chipset that supports 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac + Bluetooth 4.0 and as a bonus: Intel WiDi!

Here's the information about the WiFi card: http://wikidevi.com/wiki/AzureWave_AW-CE123H http://wikidevi.com/wiki/AzureWave_AW-CE123H

Here's the list of WiDi requirements. Broadcom BCM4352 is on the list of WiDi capable WiFi cards: http://supportkb.intel.com/wireless/wireless-display/templates/selfservice/intelwidi/# portal/1026/article/2511/System-requirements-for-Intel-WiDi Support Knowledge Base

Just use a search engine to find sellers that sell that card.

0 Kudos
RGhor
Novice

Thanks for the suggestion but i cant find any seller in Sweden who sell this, neither Amazon/ebay UK.

I'm also considering intel's model 2230 as well as model AC 7260.

Even considering getting a new router http://www.webhallen.com/179142 ASUS RT-AC68U which is the best i can find (more or less). I have today Netgear WNDR3700 which is a great router and has been working great but some of the VPN and file sharing features of the Auus AC68U looks really nice and i could use those soon. But most importantly i need a stable WLAN card for my NUC so if you know where i could get my hands on the Azurewave CE123H please do tell.The US sites usually dont ship items like this outside US neither :-/

ps. i google it a while and its not even listen on their main page: (is it maybe re-branded?)

http://www.azurewave.com/Wireless_Module_1.asp http://www.azurewave.com/Wireless_Module_1.asp

Cheers

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Here's the only store I can find where they sell the Broadcom BCM4352 Azurewave CE123H card: http://www.embeddedworks.net/wlan507.html Azurewave AW-CE123H 802.11ac/nbg WiFi+BT PCI Express Module Broadcom BCM4352 / Bluetooth 4.0+3.0 HS Class II

The seller is at California, USA. Fortunately they ship world wide, including Sweden. However, the bad news is that the shipping cost maybe higher than price of the card itself.

I don't recommend the 2230 and the 7260AC right now due to driver issues. However, I found that the 7260AC really works well with ONLY reliable Wireless-AC router. If you use the 7260AC on 2.4 GHz band (regardless of N or G specs), it tends to get stuck at 2 - 11 Mbps speed at some random time after establishing a successful connection. The speed never goes back to normal until you reset the adapter. In addition, while the 7260 is stuck at snail speeds, the 5 GHz band also disappears. As of this writing, Intel doesn't have a fix for this issue yet. The 7260AC works well and doesn't have problems with 5 GHz band for both N and AC specs.

That's the reason I recommend the Azurewave card since that card is used in Alienware laptops as well as some ASUS motherboards and ASUS ROG laptops. From my search for this card, there are no ongoing WiFi problems aside from not supporting Linux. (can work on OS X but not natively).

Anyways, back to original topic

0 Kudos
IKubi
Beginner

Hi vampyren,

Im using Centrino 2230 for a month and i had no single dropout or freeze, since i have installed that adapter. However it's not my primary computer and im not using it too much. It's up for few hours a day mostly for video streaming from NAS.

0 Kudos
RGhor
Novice

Thanks for the link, as you say the total cost for that card + shipment is $145.50 which is crazy really. Atleast for now disabling the "802.11n" from the advance menu for my card seems to give me a stable connection and i read (below) that Intel is atleast acknowledging the issue and promising a fix so i will make due with my crappy 6205. both the 2230 + 7260AC cost me like 40 dollar so i will be testing these when my local shop get them in stock and hopefully Intel has put their SH*T together by then....Will still search for other shops in Sweden if i can find the Azurwave cheaper, i can always return the Intel ones. I actually returned the 6235 yesterday and kept the 6205. I dont really need any Bluetooth and its just another disturbance :-/

0 Kudos
RGhor
Novice

Thanks for letting me know. I hope i'm lucky with it as well.

0 Kudos
WChan37
Beginner

I'm having exact same problem with N-6235. I'm using D54250 NUC. Wifi drops within minutes..

Seems like there is no solution at all...

0 Kudos
WChan37
Beginner

hi ixdude, may i know your configuration?

network adapter driver version: ?

Thanks!

0 Kudos