Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

intel dual band wireless AC 8260 does connect to wifi BUT without being able to use wifi

JMoss2
Beginner

Hello Everybody!

I have horrible issues with my brand new ASUS FX 502V. It has an Intel AC 8260 wifi which does not work properly: the situation is as follows

- It connects merely to my home wifi and 10% of other home wifis

- It does not connect to public wifis (cafes, hotels, etc).

- I have tried rebooting the network

- I have tried deleting and reinstalling the network adaptor plug and play

- I have tried unticking the "power managment" of the adaptor.

- I have formatted the computer from zero (eventhough it is brand new).

- FUN FACT: I can always connect to LTE/3G cellphone internet sharing!

- I live in Argentina (and the computer is from USA)

The problem is that I have a very powerful computer but I cannot use it without wifi so I am doomed to use an ethernet cable if possible or to my Iphone.

I have already tried all measures suggested by Asus (all of them) and since I live in ARgentina and there is no local support, I dont know what else to do.

I would really appreciate if you could help me up guys,

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello jonasm,

As we understand, you are not able to connect properly to Wi-Fi networks with the AC 8260 built into your Asus Laptop. Please keep in mind that this type of behavior can be caused by hardware issues, interference and other factors; we strongly advise to contact the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support for assistance.

Here are few actions you can try to discard common problems in the adapter's side:

- Perform a https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers. You can use the latest driver from Asus* or the generic version of https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27849/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=86068 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 version 20.60.0. The Asus website indicates that your PC comes with Windows® 10; however, if you changed the OS version please download the driver that corresponds to the OS.

- Apply the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jonasm,

Please let us know if there was any improvement since your last post or in case you require further assistance.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
JMoss2
Beginner

Dear Jonathan

I have already contacted Asus and run all the actions they suggested. THEY suggested me to contact you since you manufacture the wifi system.

I have tried your suggestions without success.

However, I have tried the wireless type "b" instead of the others and I got 1 out of 5 connectios ok, so I am getting preety sure I should find how to correctly configure it . Have you come accross the same problem in Latam? I am in Argentina.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jonasm,

The Clean Installation of the latest driver Driver, along with the recommended settings we provided before should be enough to have the adapter properly configured.

Our adapters are made to operate according to International standards, however, it is important to note that Intel is a supplier of laptop components and does not manufacture or sell complete laptop systems, each OEM/ODM may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or hardware packaging they provide. We understand that in some countries, Wi-Fi channels and bands may be limited, however, this would have to confirmed with your local authorities and the OEM.

We would like to add that the behavior you describe may also be due to a lose antenna connector, interference from other electric devices, or faulty hardware. You might want to check on this with your local support provider as well.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jonasm,

We did not receive any reply to our last comment. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos