Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7439 Discussions

iwl-8265 unstable on Fedora 36

tklar
Beginner

I'm experiencing a very strange issue at boot or after wake with the integrated 8265 chip of my ThinkPad X1. Unfortunately the chip is soldered on this model, so replacing it isn't an option.

On my Dell laptop with wifi6, also with Fedora 36,  everything works perfectly fine.

On the ThinkPad, the iwl-8265 firmware is loaded and the chip is detected:

[   18.034043] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: loaded firmware version 36.ca7b901d.0 8265-36.ucode op_mode iwlmvm
[   18.285542] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: Detected Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless AC 8265, REV=0x230

However, the actual connections just don't happen without retrying at least 3 and up to 10 times. It is an issue both on bluetooth with a mouse I paired and on wifi.

In both cases, the discovery of available devices / networks happens correctly. But then on bluetooth, the already paired device just remains disconnected until I disable and re-enable bluetooth a few times.

The wifi is similar, it lists the available networks, it keeps trying to connect to my network that I already saved. There it even manages to do a dhcp request, which is seen on the dhcp server. But NetworkManager just ends with "ip-config -> failed". After 5-10 retries, without changing anything, eventually it always connects.

With such non-deterministic behavior, I'm not even sure how I could diagnose the issue further. Does anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello tklar,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I am going to work on this issue. As soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello tklar,

In order to better assist you, please provide the following information:

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Since we have not heard back from you, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos