Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

slow 5GHz speed on wireless-ac 3168

lbuca
Beginner

Hello,

My laptop has Intel i5 8250, 12gb ram, wireless-ac 3168.

My connection is 300/15 and i get the full connection over ethernet.

My router is dual band and i get around 50 Mbps on 2,4GHz and lower than 40 Mbps on 5GHz (even when i am 2m away from router).

I have the latest drivers.

I searched the web and tried a lot of different options and still i get very low 5GHz speed..

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Hello lbuca, Thank you for posting on the Intel® Communities. Did you integrate the wireless card to your laptop? What is your computer model? When did the behavior start? Are you able to get better speeds with your router on other devices? Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
lbuca
Beginner

Model number: HP Pavilion - 15-ck005ng

upgraded my internet from 40Mbps to 300 Mbps few weeks ago and i got a new router from provider. Never had 5GHZ router before.

on my phone i get well over 200 Mbps, even when i am in another room.

was reading that you have to set HT to VHT to get ac mode, but i dont have that option in device manager.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Thanks for the info. Can you please confirm the following? Did you integrate the wireless card to your laptop? What is the router model? What is your driver version? Try checking these settings: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
lbuca
Beginner

wireless card was already in the laptop. And the driver version is 19.51.17.1

Router Information:

Vendor: Ubee Interactive Corp.

ModelEVW32C-0N

Hardware Version3.34.1

Firmware Version2.4.1009-SIP

Also i already checked those settings and it did not help.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Can you test another computer to check if you get better speeds with on the 5GHz? Please, try this driver: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-pavilion-15-ck000-laptop-pc/17296798/model/19100975/swItemId/ob-224448-1 Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
lbuca
Beginner

i dont have any other laptops. Like i said i get over 200Mbps on my phone and if i connect my laptop with ethernet cable, i get full speed (almost 300Mbps).

I installed the drivers from the link:

Driver date: 12/03/2018

Driver version: 19.51.12.3

I still get under 40Mbps :(

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
0 Kudos
lbuca
Beginner

when i unzip drivers i dont get .inf file for manual update.

So when i click "Have disk" i cant select a thing.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Please, proceed with the .exe version. Double-click on the file to launch installation. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
lbuca
Beginner

tried and still the same result.

Driver date: 31.12.2018

Driver version: 19.51.18.1

So frustrating since my phone can get full speed with no problem and my NEW laptop with i5 8250 and 12gb ram gets max 40Mbps on a 300Mbps connection.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
This does not seem to be adapter issue. It could be router or ISP. We need to know where are you reading the speed of the connection. Check with ISP the Access Point settings. I understand we have sent the advanced wireless settings but would be good to check with ISP. Did the you connect the computer with different Network environment? Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
lbuca
Beginner

Sorry i didnt see "load more answers".

i used speedtest on laptop and phone and phone had no issues going above 200MBps. Also when downloading games on xbox (wired connection) i get speeds of over 130Mbps. Even tried on an older phone and it got 90Mbps with a wall between the router.

I dont know anyone with a 5GHz router to check if it is the routers fault (would be weird, because my other devices work fine).

this are my settings:

111.png

0 Kudos
lbuca
Beginner

So no more help?

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Did you check the previous post? Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
lbuca
Beginner

Sorry i didnt see "load more answers".

i used speedtest on laptop and phone and phone had no issues going above 200MBps. Also when downloading games on xbox (wired connection) i get speeds of over 130Mbps. Even tried on an older phone and it got 90Mbps with a wall between the router.

I dont know anyone with a 5GHz router to check if it is the routers fault (would be weird, because my other devices work fine).

this are my settings:

111.png

0 Kudos
lbuca
Beginner
0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee
Hello lbuca, We sent you some information over email, I would like to know if you received the email? Also I would like to know if you were able to perform the troubleshooting steps provided there. If that didn't resolve the issue, we would like to schedule a call to perform a remote session. Please let me know if you agree. Regards, Abigail G Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee
Hello lbuca, I hope you found the information provided helpful. If you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you. Regards, Abigail G Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos