Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

slow wifi on X570 Tomahawk

Trousy
Beginner

Just got a new MSI tomahawk x570 motherboard which includes this wifi card. However for some reason the speed of the upload is unreasonably slow. We have 100mbps fiber internet which works fine with my macbook pro. however with this card I can't even reach 40mbps see my speedtest link. Does anyone know what's wrong?  Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

0 Kudos
13 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What WiFi card? What router?

0 Kudos
Trousy
Beginner

Ax200 160Mhz wifi card and a virgin media router 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That's not good enough (it makes a significant difference in how we might respond).

Exactly what router model is it? 

0 Kudos
Trousy
Beginner
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So this is a Wireless-AC router. See Advanced Intel Wireless Adapter Settings for information on all of the configuration parameters and how to access them. Then, see Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity for the settings most important to change for Wireless-AC routers.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Trousy
Beginner
I tried those setting only getting 15Mbs now think I'll have to run an ethernet cable to get any speed
0 Kudos
Trousy
Beginner

below is what the wifi properties are

SSID: VM6535482
Protocol: Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
Security type: WPA2-Personal
Network band: 5 GHz
Network channel: 44
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 87/130 (Mbps)
Link-local IPv6 address: fe80::b587:28d3:a2e4:1fed%18
IPv4 address: 192.168.0.12
IPv4 DNS servers: 194.168.4.100
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Description: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz
Driver version: 22.20.0.6
Physical address (MAC): 34-CF-F6-FF-FC-EE

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Have you tried changing the channel width parameters from Auto to 20MHz?

...S

0 Kudos
Trousy
Beginner
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, you've exhausted my ideas. Intel Customer Support will need to step in here and present their pearls of wisdom...

Sorry,

...S

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Trousy, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

Based on the information provided previously, we can see that the Wireless driver currently installed in your system is version 22.20.0.6, which is the one provided by MSI:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-X570-TOMAHAWK-WIFI#down-driver&Win10%2064

Since the problem persists with that driver, what we can try is a clean installation of the Intel® Generic Wireless driver version 22.30.0 following the instructions in the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/wireless.html

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30208/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters

If the problem remains after installing the Intel® driver, please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Trousy, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Trousy, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos