Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

wev_exclude_list_reason_802_11_auth_failure error on Wireless or WiFi

wlink
Beginner

Error or Problem: WEV_EXCLUDE_LIST_REASON_802_11_AUTH_FAILURE

I have noticed this error after unloading Dell Inspiron n411z or 14z original or factory drivers and loading Intel ProSet Wireless drivers.

Wireless Card/Adapter: Intel Centrino Wireless-N1030, 1x2 bgn (2.4GHz) + Bluetooth

Microsoft Window7

It has taken me long hours and days to find a workaround for this problem. There are only few citations for this type of error or problem on the INTERNET.

This problem has been tested to repeat when I connect to multiple WiFi Access Points / Wireless Routers. Hence it is not an isolated case to a single router or model.

Possible reasons:

• The driver does not support WPA2 wireless encryption

Workaround:

1. I have changed the wireless security setting on the router to WPA from WPA2 (AES/TKIP)
  2. Then this error disappears

Question:

1. Why doesn't the driver support WPA2? If it does, why does this error occur.
  2. How can one use WPA2 on this driver and hardware. Since WPA2 is superior and more secure than WPA.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello WorldLink,

The Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030 supports WPA2*, AES and TKIP as noted in the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/centrino-wireless-n-1030-brief.pdf Product Brief. Since you mentioned that this happened with different access points, it would be good to do a clean install of the management software and drivers to remove any old configuration or possible driver corruption.

Please follow these steps to do a clean installation of the components:

- Download https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23723/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7- Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 7*, version 16.11.0

If you have Windows 7 32-bit: Wireless_16.11.0_s32.exe

If you have Windows 7 64-bit: Wireless_16.11.0_s64.exe

- Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

- In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

- Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

- Install the Intel® Wireless driver you downloaded before. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, you can customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

Please try this action plan and let us know the results.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello WorldLink,

The Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030 supports WPA2*, AES and TKIP as noted in the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/centrino-wireless-n-1030-brief.pdf Product Brief. Since you mentioned that this happened with different access points, it would be good to do a clean install of the management software and drivers to remove any old configuration or possible driver corruption.

Please follow these steps to do a clean installation of the components:

- Download https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23723/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7- Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 7*, version 16.11.0

If you have Windows 7 32-bit: Wireless_16.11.0_s32.exe

If you have Windows 7 64-bit: Wireless_16.11.0_s64.exe

- Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

- In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

- Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

- Install the Intel® Wireless driver you downloaded before. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, you can customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

Please try this action plan and let us know the results.

wlink
Beginner

Hi Jonathan

I did update the drivers to the latest version using Intel Driver Update tool.

The wev_exclude (auth error), has now stopped completely.

Note (FYI): when one uses the update-tool it downloads or recommends version 15.x.x.x, and not version 16.x.x.x. But when the install pop-up comes on, it shows version 16.x.x.x. Later during the install process it reverts back to version 15.x.x.x. Something to check, since it can be misleading for user who are not IT savvy.

Thanks for your help.

jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello Worldlink,

I am glad that the issue was solved with the initial recommendations. This will be very helpful for other users facing the same situation.

The difference you noticed in the versions is due to the fact that the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software contains drivers for many wireless adapter models. The actual driver version shown in Device Manager will depend on the wireless adapter, operating system and Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software version.

You can find the details in the following link:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034315.htm?wapkw=wireless+driver+version Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software Driver Versions by Operating System

0 Kudos
WAman
Novice

I have had the exact same problem, for some time now. I have tried several potential solutions I found on the 'net without success, but this one was unique and promising.

I did the steps outlined by jonathan_intel. I will say that I must had have about a dozen drivers on my system. That was because I installed every new driver Intel released, with the hope that it would contain the fix. None of them ever did.

Anyway, I did the scan for hardware changes along with the uninstall with driver delete, over and over again, until none of the old drivers remained. I install the latest Intel package, Wireless_19.0.1_PROSet64_Win7.

It seemed to work for a while. However, my joy was a bit premature. After about an hour, the auth_failure_error happened again.

Let me say that I have numerous devices attached to my home router. Only two of them fail like this, and both of those are laptops using Intel chips.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on a fix?

0 Kudos