Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

which Wi-Fi 6 adapter can work on my device?

Ale_Ale
Novice
Hello. I have Win11, i3-8145SU processor, AC 9462 WiFi adapter, what model can I change my adapter to so that it supports WiFi6 and so that it works in my computer?
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The only one that has a reasonable chance of working is the WiFi 5, Wireless-AC 9560, which would at least get you a max. connection speed of up to 1733 Mb/s. As far as WiFi 6 support is concerned, there is a (unfortunately) remote possibility that the WiFi 6, Wireless-AX AX200 module or the WiFi 6e, Wireless-AX AX210 module might be made to work; it all depends upon the motherboard and its BIOS implementation (careful here, I have heard of cases where this causes BIOS to hang in POST). I do not believe that the AX201 or AX211 modules can be used here (i.e. their PHY is not supported by the MAC in the chipset).

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

13 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The only one that has a reasonable chance of working is the WiFi 5, Wireless-AC 9560, which would at least get you a max. connection speed of up to 1733 Mb/s. As far as WiFi 6 support is concerned, there is a (unfortunately) remote possibility that the WiFi 6, Wireless-AX AX200 module or the WiFi 6e, Wireless-AX AX210 module might be made to work; it all depends upon the motherboard and its BIOS implementation (careful here, I have heard of cases where this causes BIOS to hang in POST). I do not believe that the AX201 or AX211 modules can be used here (i.e. their PHY is not supported by the MAC in the chipset).

Hope this helps,

...S

3Fees
New Contributor I

Changing out wifi cards in laptops can be very limiting, sometimes the manufacturers white list what can be used plus the fact that the sockets also limit what can be used.

If you want Wifi 6 ax you can buy a usb 3.0 ax adapter and enjoy wifi 6 speeds there are several on the market, you'll also need a wifi 6 router, some ac wifi routers dont play nice with ax cards.  Using an AC router with AX card is like putting regular gasoline in a High performance motor that requires the Highest Octane to unleash the performance. AC router band 80mhz,, AX router AX wifi card connection band 160mhz.

Wifi ax routers also use WPA 3 which is a step up in security, plus have a higher QAM and other benefits over AC wifi routers.

You also dont have to buy the expensive stuff to get Wifi 6 ax up and running, Wifi 6 ax is the trend and is being fully supported.

Your all welcome.

Cheers

3Fees

AlHill
Super User

@3Fees You are going break that edit button....<G>

Regardless of your post, the OP needs to consult with his laptop manufacturer regarding issues of upgrading and integration.  That is the rule.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

3Fees
New Contributor I

No, your wrong, not if he goes with USB 3 ax adapter and wifi 6 router, this upgrade works with any laptop or desktop and is the sure thing.

Cheers

3Fees

AlHill
Super User

No, you are incorrect.  I am talking about wifi cards, not usb adapters.

And, enough with the edits.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
3Fees
New Contributor I

lol, quit changing your story, I certainly know your talking about the wifi card in the computer, totally unnecessary to contact anyone if using USB route, plus dont have to open up the laptop if you can get an ax card and possibly break something and void warranties possibly, my way is the best live with it, simply plug and play.

Cheers

3Fees

Ale_Ale
Novice

Я думаю, что нашел его, но я не уверен. Как вы думаете, это будет делать?   Qualcomm NFA765 M2 E Wi-Fi 6 BT 5,2 M.2 NGFF 

( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005266574391.html )

3Fees
New Contributor I

No, Your laptop uses Intel  M2: CNVio socket-limited to AC,, For Wifi 6- Intel AX cards require CNVio2 socket when the Mobo has Intel Chipset, 400, 500, 600 series--newer than 300 series you have.

USB 3.0 Wifi AX  dongle or adapter is the route to take with a wifi 6 router.

Нет, ваш ноутбук использует Intel M2: разъем CNVio, ограниченный переменным током, для Wi-Fi 6- карты Intel AX требуют разъема CNVio2, когда Mobo имеет набор микросхем Intel,Серии 400, 500, 600 - новее, чем серия 300, которая у вас есть. USB 3.0 Wifi AX - это маршрут, который можно использовать с маршрутизатором Wi-Fi 6.
Cheers
3fees

Ale_Ale
Novice

they have the same keys, in shape it is the same as my old module, and it's not Intel Ax, but qualcomm in the description it has no processor limit

Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Ale_Ale.   

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I am glad to see that fellow community members have the knowledge and they jumped in and helped.  

It is worth mentioning that Intel does not support wireless integrations (installing a different wireless adapter into your system/laptop). We recommend you speak to the Manufacturer of your equipment for support on wireless integrations and replacement parts to ensure compliance with the regulatory requirements of your country and support. It is important to check for compatibility with the System Manufacturer, as there could be certain cards that will not work with the system.  

For more information, read the following article under the title "Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade.

Please, keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards,    

Jocelyn M.    

Intel Customer Support Technician.  

Ale_Ale
Novice

It's scary to buy Intel products, in 4 years it will not be possible to find compatible equipment

Ale_Ale
Novice
Thank you