Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7426 Discussions

wifi adapter gives wrong information to system

User1588208111399269

I am having some trouble with my wifi adapter, or at least I believe that is the component at fault. The following has been happening:

For the first year or so I had my current laptp, wifi was always at full signal strenght. After that, the signal indocator in my taskbar would start going from 1 bar to all bars every now and then. Well I could get accustomed to that, but it keot getting worse. Today was the second time within a week where the signal indicator claimed I had no internet at all with my home wifi. But that isn't true at all. I chchecked my phone, and it can load all web pages just fine. It does also show full signal as well whenever the indicator claims the signal is bad. Hence, it is very likely that the adapter is at fault. Do you think so too?

the adapter built into my laptop is intal dual band wireless ac 8265 #2

driver is most current version provided by the driver and support assistant

laptop is a medion erazer with win 10 64 bit updated to build 2004 just yesterday

0 Kudos
13 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

A common problem with laptops is the stress that is put on the antenna wires (which are routed up into the lid) as the lid is repeatedly opened and closed. This stress can sometimes result in disconnections (antenna wires pulled off the wireless card) or breakage of the antenna wires (typically around the hinges.

I am not saying that this is necessarily your problem, but it is something that needs to be investigated.

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

With some regularity, there have been reports of issues with wireless soon after major Windows upgrades. I have not yet heard of any occurring with the new 20H2 upgrade, but it is only rolling out. The 2004 update, on the other hand, had lots of reports detailing all sorts of issues being uncovered. Almost all of them were alleviated by doing a from-scratch, clean WLAN install. 

As a result, as I see you just installed 2004, I suggest you also do a clean WLAN install. Here is proper process for doing so:

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drivers for your adapter. Here are links to these drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29902 and https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29919
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From Apps & Features, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings". 
  5. Manually reboot your computer.
  6. In Device Manager, check Network Adapters for an entry for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265. If none, go to Step 9.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 and uninstall it, choosing to "Delete the driver software for this device".
  8. Go to Step 5.
  9. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. I recommend that you checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently (so it leaves it set up for next invocation).
  10. (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  11. Install the Bluetooth driver package (rule: always do Bluetooth first).
  12. Install the Wireless driver package.
  13. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  14. Enable Internet access.
  15. Test.
0 Kudos
User1588208111399269
The first disconnect happened before I updated windows, so I doubt this is the source of the issue
0 Kudos
User1588208111399269

assuming the wires were at fault, could they be replaced?

My laptop is just going through another of those phases again where the signal is claimed to be weak, then back to kay, then weak, and so on and so on. I suppose I will be facing numerous disconnects later and it is awfully annyoing

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Regarding the wiring, yes, they could be replaced, but (a) check for simple disconnection or partial disconnection at the connector first and (b) this requires taking apart the lid of the laptop, which is not something for the faint of heart, non-hardware cognizant user to attempt (especially with the fancy hinges being used by some manufacturers).

If you are seeing periods where it is working just fine and others where it cannot connect, it could be a simple pinched wire or it could be a complex software problem. See if partially closing and partially opening the lid a few times affects the signal strength. If it doesn't, then we should presume a software issue.

...S

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello User1588208111399269, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach). 

2. Do you recall making any changes to the system that could've started this problem? 

3. Did you try doing a clean installation of the wireless drivers as @n_scott_pearson suggested?  

4. Have you seen if there is any error message in the Device Manager? 

5. In regards to replacing the antennas, you may want to consult that with the system manufacturer (OEM). They can help you to diagnose if your system is running into any hardware problem.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello User1588208111399269,  

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
User1588208111399269

it might take a while until I give you further information. Things are running okay for the last few days, but I will watch closely and come back here should the issue occur again

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Thanks for the update. 

In that case, we will be looking forward to hearing back from you. Once you have an update please feel free to post it on this thread. 

Regards,   

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
User1588208111399269

ok so I just experienced two times where the system claimed there was no internet, even thought I can use tthe same connection on my phone just fine. Thia brings me to one conclusion at least: this only happens (at least so far) on Saturday mornings. Las week it happened around 2 am, the week before that it happened around 6 am. Now if this persists, a hardware issue sounds rather unlogical, because that would happen regardless of what day or time it is

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello User1588208111399269,  

Thank you for your reply. 

As per what you report, this seems to be indeed a problem at the software level. Please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:   

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".    
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".    
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".    
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).  

2. Do you recall making any changes to the system that could've started this problem?  

3. Did you try doing a clean installation of the wireless drivers as the community suggested?   

4. Have you seen if there is an error message in the Device Manager?  

5. This can also be a scheduled task in your system, have you tried checking that? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/taskschd/task-scheduler-start-page  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied. 

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. Remember that we believe that this problem can be related to your specific system configuration; so you may want to report this to your system OEM as well. Chances are that you have a scheduled task that is affecting that.

If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos