oneAPI Registration, Download, Licensing and Installation
Support for Getting Started questions related to download, Installation and licensing for Intel oneAPI Toolkits and software development tools.
1422 Discussions

Cannot uninstall intel one API 2021.3 base or HPC toolkit (win10pro last update)

MattHouston
New Contributor I

I have visual studio 2019 and 2022 pro last update and intel one api 2021.3 base and HPC toolkits installed.

I try to install intel one api 2023.1 base and HPC toolkits. I started the with the base toolkit and had this error :

see attached 2023.07.31.22.16.53.124.7z logs

I tried again and had :

2023.07.31.22.17.42.401.7z

I then uninstalled visual studio 2022 prop tried again, and also visual studio 2019 pro, tried to uninstall the 2021.3 toolkits and had also errors etc etc etc :

2023.08.01.07.25.12.943.7z

2023.08.01.08.26.03.103.7z

Now I have a computer without any visual studio installed from which I still CAN'T uninstall your 2012.3 toolkits.

First I have to say that this is simply unaccceptable. (It is simply crazy to have a product that you can't uninstal properly. The fact that the API is free doesn't justify in the least such a poor quality of basic management of the API installation. And this lasts for years as I see other people here having the same issues for which the provided solution are just a shame, like "please find 17.1 version of this microsoft visual studio propretray DLL and replace with it the one on your PC etc etc". I mean guys, seriously.)

Now I have a simple question :

I wan't to get rid definitely of the 2021.3 API : what should I do ? Considering that :

• my target is having visual studio 2022 pro + intel one APIs base and HPC 2023.1 (yes, 1, not 2023.2) toolkits working together
  • I'm not AT ALL into entering in a year long correspondance with you here where 1) we would exchange logs (I sent enough logs with this post) and 2) you would tell me that you're sorry but that your engineers are into developping something that works and that would allow me to finally get free from your hostage but for which I would wait one year without any progress etc etc 
  • I have admin rights, I can erase whatever I want from my computer --> what should I erase from my compter to be finally free from your API ?

Oh yes, and for my tone : it is because I didn't have one single time in my entire life a smooth install or reinstall experience of your libs then studios and now APIs. (Names change, problems don't, right ?) Never ever. And when I see other products (like resharper and so many others) also having many visual studio integrations for which I never had a single problem, you'll understand it doesn't help at all to raise my tolerance levels regarding your "API". So please don't take for rudeness the fact that I am factually stating my experience and pointing out clear shortcomings of your product.

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ArpanB_Intel

Hi Matt, we apologize for the inconvenience caused. We will check the log files and soon get back to you with our findings.

0 Kudos
MattHouston
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Matt, we apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Regarding the uninstallation of the 2021.3 toolkits, please follow the below steps:

• Close Intel® installers if any.
  • Uninstall all Microsoft Visual Studio instances and Visual Studio Installer. We see you have already performed this step.
  • Important: check that C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Setup\x86\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll does not exist anymore. If it was not removed with Microsoft Visual Studio for some reason, please unregister the DLL using

REGSVR32 /U C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Setup\x86\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll

command in Command Prompt as Administrator, and then rename the file to Backup_Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll so the Intel® Installer can't load it.

We would like to know.

0 Kudos
MattHouston
New Contributor I

I successfuly uninstalled old versions of parallel studio as well as 2023.1 toolkit (whose uninstall worked with your unregsvr DLL trick) the I reinstalled visual studio 2019 and 2022 (yes, I need both for work), then reinstalled parallel studio 2020 update 4 (yes, I need it for legacy code at work) which because of your DLL trick wasn't integrated with visual 2019 nor 2022 (which is not a problem for me at all as I compile legacy code in command line).

Then I removed the "backup_" bit from the DLL and tried to install the 2023.1 base toolkit for which I had :

install_2023.1.some_errors.JPG

(see logs).

I then tried to install the 2023.1 HPC toolkit for which (without any surprise) I also had :

install_2023.1.HPC.some_errors.JPG (see the attached log also)

Without surprises again as I launch visual studio 2022, I have no access to intel fortran projects for instance. No visual studio 2022 integration at all.

So the installation didn't work at all relatively to the integration to visual studio 2022 while it is supposed to work.

Then I added back the "backup_" bit to the DLL name and made a repair of both toolkits, which changed nothing: still no visual studio 2022 integration.

What should I do no ? Because the install is still not functional for me as I have dozens of intel Fortran projects etc I work with everyday etc.

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Matt, we have contacted you internally regarding your issue. Please check your inbox for further updates.

0 Kudos
MattHouston
New Contributor I

Arpan, I was indeed contacted "internally" : I received a private message (a mail) on August the 4th telling me that a following update will be shared with me within the next 3-4 business days. Now we are August the13th and I have still not received any update from you, here or on my mail. Naturally, I still have the very same issued and broken/not working installs. Thanks a lot Intel.

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Matt, please note that prior to the release of any edition of the product, it is tested with different versions of Microsoft Visual Studio for compatibility. For example: Intel® oneAPI Base&HPC Toolkit version 2023.0 was tested to be compatible with VS 2022 17.4.2 and VS 2019 16.11.21.

We have found that Microsoft has pushed an recent update with regards to it's Visual Studio installations that updates a DLL file in the existing installation. This leads to error during our toolkits regarding compatibility and also breaks the existing compatible installations. The DLL file is called: Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll.

It can be found here: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Setup\x86\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll

We have stopped supporting the installation of Intel oneAPI Toolkits Versions: 2023.1.0 and earlier now. We urge our users to upgrade to the latest version of our toolkits: Intel® oneAPI Base&HPC Toolkit 2023.2 which is supported up to VS 2022 17.2.6 (ICC), up to VS 2022 17.6.4, VS 2019 16.11.27. To know more, visit here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/release-notes/oneapi-supported-product-versions.htm

To request the older DLL file, please contact Microsoft support by clicking here: https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/support/

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Matt, unfortunately we were unable to hear back from you.

If you have any further queries, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel®.

0 Kudos