oneAPI Registration, Download, Licensing and Installation
Support for Getting Started questions related to download, Installation and licensing for Intel oneAPI Toolkits and software development tools.
1285 Discussions

How to perform installation in CI-system (silent non-admin) on Windows and other platforms

Emmenlauer__Mario
New Contributor I

We have been happy users of several Intel performance libraries like MKL, DAAL and IPP for many years. Now we wanted to move to oneAPI. But the installation in the CI system fails because the installer requires administrator permissions.

How can we perform a non-admin installation to a directory where the current (non-admin) user has write permissions? I think many users could more easily set up oneAPI in CI systems if there was a plain archive of the files provided.

Basically we need only the folder structure that the installer creates in `C:\Program Files\` or `/opt/Intel` but in a non-standard directory where the current (non-admin) user has write permissions. This is predominantly a problem on Windows, but also on other platforms. i.E. on Linux we get the error `Error [Administrator permissions are required.]` when trying to execute the installer in the CI.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Soumya_M_Intel

Hi Emmenlauer__Mario,

Thanks for posting your concern on the forum. Please provide us the below details. 

• The specific operating system names along with versions that you are trying to install the product on.
  • The Intel® oneAPI Toolkits that you are trying to install. Is it only the Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit?
  • The complete copy/screenshot of the errors you found during the installation trials.

The above information will provide us a better understanding of the issue. 

Regards,

Soumya

0 Kudos
Emmenlauer__Mario
New Contributor I

Dear @Soumya_M_Intel ,
thank you for your response.

The problem exists on all operating systems, but for the sake of simplicity, let me describe the problem for Microsoft Windows.

I'm trying to install the Intel oneAPI Base Toolkit using w_BaseKit_p_2021.3.0.3221_offline.exe, on Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1.

My goal is to have an automatic scripted command line installation that is suitable for use in a contiunous integration system. As a first step, I'm following the Intel documentation at https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/installation-guide-for-intel-oneapi-toolkits-windows/top/installation/install-with-command-line.html

From this documentation, I understand that I should be able to extract the installer with the parameters --extract-folder and --extract-only.

However when I use these parameters, I still get an administrator confirmation prompt, as can be seen in the attached screenshot.

This breaks my workflow for continuous integration.

But my request goes further than that. Even if it would be possible to extract the installer, how can I find the individual headers and library files *without needing administrator access* from a command line? This is a common workflow for continuous integration.

0 Kudos
Soumya_M_Intel

Hi Emmenlauer__Mario,

Thanks for providing more information on the concern. We are currently checking on it with our internal team. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Have a nice day ahead.

Regards,

Soumya

0 Kudos
Emmenlauer__Mario
New Contributor I

Dear @Soumya_M_Intel , thank you so much for your consideration! This would be an important issue for us.

In the meantime I have also found a bit more information. The Intel project https://github.com/oneapi-src/oneapi-ci has helpful examples for the command line installation of oneAPI, in exactly the way that we need it. I tested the installation instructions from these scripts, and found that they also require an administrator command prompt (on Windows) or root access (on Linux or MacOS).

This further confirms my finding that a scripted command line installation is in principle fully supported by Intel, *but* currently requires administrator permissions, which many CI systems do not allow.

0 Kudos
Soumya_M_Intel

Hi Emmenlauer__Mario,

I assume that your issue has been resolved after receiving the information sent to you by our internal team. However, if you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel®. 

Have a nice day ahead.

Regards,

Soumya

0 Kudos