oneAPI Registration, Download, Licensing and Installation
Support for Getting Started questions related to download, Installation and licensing for Intel oneAPI Toolkits and software development tools.
1262 Discussions

Install OneApi without breaking my Parallel Studio 2020 update 4 install

MattHouston
New Contributor I

I have a win 10 PC with :

• visual studio 2019 enterprise, version 16.10.3 (last update as of posting)
  • matlab R2021a 64bits
  • intel parallel studio 2020 update 4 with visual studio (2019) integration

I mainly use the parallel studio as follows :

• Either for Intel Fortran compiler for Fortran dll compiling through the command line, where I always use the command 
    C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /E:ON /V:ON /K ""C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2020.4.311\windows\bin\compilervars.bat" -arch=intel64 vs2019"​
    namely, I use the compilervars batch with a vs2019 option.
  • Or for C++ visual studio projects where I can or not use the Intel C++ compiler but where I almost always use the Intel MKL for BLAS, LAPACK, VSL and marginally the FFT

My PS version (joined to my visual studio 2019) is fully compatible with Matlab which allows me to use my Intel Fortran or C++ DLLs (after some Matlab marshalling/wrapping) in Matlab.

Whatever I do after, I don't want to break what preceeds, which works and wihch I need to keep working.

What I want to do : I would like to test the latest C++ and Fortran compiler Classic (this one having full Fortran 2018 support) and Beta.

I downloaded freely

• w_BaseKit_p_2021.3.0.3221_offline.exe
  • w_HPCKit_p_2021.3.0.3227_offline.exe

as they seem to be free. (Are they really ?)

For the installation of the BaseKit, as this has always been historically the case, I cannot install visual studio integration without uninstalling/removing the PS2020u4 visual studio integration.

This raises three questions :

• is it really impossible to have intel PS2020u4 and IntelOneApi integrated in the same Visual Studio 2019 Enterprise install ? (No tweak possible ?)
  • Would I choose not to install the integration and keep my PS2020u4 integration in visual studio, will I have a compilersvars.bat (or something equivalent) that will allow me to set up needed environment for the command line new Intel Fortran compilers ?
  • I would still like to test the new Intel C++ compilers + Intel MKL etc in visual studio : will this be possible by tweaking myself the visual studio projects manually ?

Thx !

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Soumya_M_Intel

Hi MattHouston,

Thanks for your patience. Yes, the Intel® oneAPI Toolkits are free to download and use. However, users may buy the product toolkit to get Intel® Parallel Studio XE in the same license and to get Priority Support. Customers with Priority Support may submit requests to the Online Service Center to get assistance regarding their getting started queries and technical queries on priority.

Online Service Center: https://supporttickets.intel.com/servicecenter?lang=en-US

Proceeding to the primary queries, please know you may use two compilers with the same Microsoft Visual Studio product version. It works. However, please know, the integrations – the compiler options and such and debugger plugin is shared so only the last installed version of the debugger and the Project Properties for that last version shows up in the Visual Studio integrations. You can switch compilers. However, you would still be using the integration settings from the last one installed.

You may try integrating the Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2020 Update 4 with Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 and integrating the Intel® oneAPI Toolkits with Microsoft Visual Studio 2019.

You may visit the below link for information on using multiple versions of the compiler in Microsoft Visual Studio*.

Link: https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/intel-fortran-compiler-in-ms-visual-studio.html

As for the last query, could you please provide a screenshot of the greyed-out properties? It would provide us a better understanding of the issue.

Regards,

Soumya

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Soumya_M_Intel

Hi MattHouston,

Thanks for posting your concern on the forum. We are currently checking on the queries with our resources. Kindly wait for 2-3 business days. We will get back to you as soon as possible. 

Regards,

Soumya

0 Kudos
MattHouston
New Contributor I

Hi Soumya and thanks for your answer. I finally managed the respond myself to two out of my three questions and partially to one, namely :

• is it really impossible to have intel PS2020u4 and IntelOneApi integrated in the same Visual Studio 2019 Enterprise install ? --> no (No tweak possible ? --> this I don't know but I am still interested to know)
  • Would I choose not to install the integration and keep my PS2020u4 integration in visual studio, will I have a compilersvars.bat (or something equivalent) that will allow me to set up needed environment for the command line new Intel Fortran compilers ? --> yes, there's is a vars.bat doing the same as compilervars.bat
  • I would still like to test the new Intel C++ compilers + Intel MKL etc in visual studio : will this be possible by tweaking myself the visual studio projects manually ? --> apparently not possible, I desinstalled the PS2020u4 visual studio integration and install the One Api visual studio integration and in intel fortran project there's a lot of greyed out properties that seem not been changeable ; but I am also interested in knowing if this is tweakable

Also, a remark, at the w_BaseKit_p_2021.3.0.3221_offline.exe and w_HPCKit_p_2021.3.0.3227_offline.exe install, when I chose to install the visual studio integration, I had to reinstall w_HPCKit_p_2021.3.0.3227_offline.exe two times for the intel fortran visual studio projects template to appear in my visual studio ...

0 Kudos
Soumya_M_Intel

Hi MattHouston,

Thanks for your patience. Yes, the Intel® oneAPI Toolkits are free to download and use. However, users may buy the product toolkit to get Intel® Parallel Studio XE in the same license and to get Priority Support. Customers with Priority Support may submit requests to the Online Service Center to get assistance regarding their getting started queries and technical queries on priority.

Online Service Center: https://supporttickets.intel.com/servicecenter?lang=en-US

Proceeding to the primary queries, please know you may use two compilers with the same Microsoft Visual Studio product version. It works. However, please know, the integrations – the compiler options and such and debugger plugin is shared so only the last installed version of the debugger and the Project Properties for that last version shows up in the Visual Studio integrations. You can switch compilers. However, you would still be using the integration settings from the last one installed.

You may try integrating the Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2020 Update 4 with Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 and integrating the Intel® oneAPI Toolkits with Microsoft Visual Studio 2019.

You may visit the below link for information on using multiple versions of the compiler in Microsoft Visual Studio*.

Link: https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/intel-fortran-compiler-in-ms-visual-studio.html

As for the last query, could you please provide a screenshot of the greyed-out properties? It would provide us a better understanding of the issue.

Regards,

Soumya

0 Kudos
Soumya_M_Intel

Hi MattHouston,

We have not heard from you in the last 20 days. Therefore, we are closing this thread. It will no longer be monitored by Intel®. However, if you need any further assistance, please feel free to create a new thread. Have a nice day ahead.

Regards,

Soumya

0 Kudos