oneAPI Registration, Download, Licensing and Installation
Support for Getting Started questions related to download, Installation and licensing for Intel oneAPI Toolkits and software development tools.

Install Parallel Studio 2020

Nick3
New Contributor I

From my previous post, you may have noticed I'm having a very difficult time with oneAPI Fortran 2022.2.  I told a coworker to try to install oneAPI as well before I realized how many headaches there are; his install fails in the middle and rolls back.  Unfortunately it doesn't roll back the older visual studio integration uninstall.

My goal for that laptop is to restore integration of Parallel Studio XE 2020 Update 4 into VS 2019.  Easiest path forward, right...?

We're running Windows 10.

But, when he tries to run the installer for ifort 2020, the installer just simply disappears.  Same with the installer that's a separate download, same with the installer that's running from the control panel.

Question - is there another way to restore the integration into Visual Studio?  Is there a sequence of MSIs that I can run by hand out of the extracted Parallel Studio XE 2020, or some other way?

My coworker is travelling in a couple of days so this would be a big problem if we can't figure something out quickly.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Nick3
New Contributor I

On one machine with this problem, we (once again) uninstalled VS 2022, and then installed VS 2022, preview edition.  This caused the Intel Fortran installer to recognize Visual Studio

On another machine with this problem, where we had VS 2022 and VS 2019 installed, we repaired the VS 2022 installation, and then Intel Fortran recognized Visual Studio.

This is after initial failure, after numerous complete uninstalls, on two different machines used by two different individuals.  Please, I urge you to do more testing for the Intel Fortran Offline installer.  I have never in my life had this many problems with any installer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
ArpanB_Intel

Hi Kapil, please follow the below steps>

• Close Intel® installers if any.
  • Uninstall all Microsoft Visual Studio instances and Visual Studio Installer.

Important: check that C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Setup\x86\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll does not exist anymore. If it was not removed with Microsoft Visual Studio for some reason, please unregister the DLL using

REGSVR32 /U C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Setup\x86\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll

command in Command Prompt as Administrator, and then rename the file to Backup_Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll so the Intel® Installer can't load it.

For the Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2020 Update 4, the supported versions are Visual Studio 2017 15.9 and Visual Studio 2019 16.7.2.

0 Kudos
Nick3
New Contributor I

I am afraid, same like in my original post, this step fails:

• Uninstall older Intel® Parallel Studio XE and Intel® oneAPI products.

I try to uninstall intel parallel studio xe, installer does not start (no window) when I click the uninstall button.  Now I just have no Visual STudio on that machine and the broken version of ifort 2020 remains.

0 Kudos
Nick3
New Contributor I

Tried to run the installer for parallel studio xe 2020 and get a log file.

I noticed it was missing some .rtf, so I made a garbage .rtf and ran it again.  I got another log file.

Hope these help.

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Kapil, please share the below information with us:

• The OS build version of Windows 10
  • The edition(Community or Professional) of Visual Studio 2019 installed along with its build version number
  • The versions of Intel® oneAPI of Intel® Parallel Studio XE installed on your system apart from the 2022.2 version of the toolkit

We would like to know.

0 Kudos
Nick3
New Contributor I

We use whatever the latest version is that is given by Microsoft.  I don't know of a way to use anything else.  If I need something else, please tell me how.  Our Windows is "Enterprise 21H2 build 19044.2130". 

Yesterday we tried really, really hard, and we discovered that the machine's user did not have permissions to access the folder for the parallel studio 2020 uninstaller (C:\ProgramData\Intel\Installer\something), and that's why the uninstaller was failing.  Please share this with your team, maybe this is something they can improve.

However, the problems continue.  We uninstall everything (visual studio and ifort), we unregister and delete native.dll.  My coworker installed only VS 2019 professional, with ".NET desktop development" and "Desktop development with C++".  However, now both the installer for parallel studio XE 2020 update 4 and installer w_fortran-compiler_p_2022.2.0.9570_offline.exe  give us the error message of you do not have visual studio installed.  Please help - we did install visual studio 2019, no other ones.  The version Microsoft gave us is 16.11.20 if this matters.

0 Kudos
Nick3
New Contributor I

Also tried   vs_2019 16.11.15 Enterprise.exe   - ifort 2022 does not detect visual studio.

Link:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/releases/2019/history

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Kapil, we have shared some information with you internally. Please check your inbox for further updates.

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Kapil, we found this issue to be related to the presence of any corrupted instances of Visual Studio being still present on your system. This could be due to any version of VS currently or previously installed on your system. Please visit here> https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/uninstall-visual-studio?view=vs-2022, and use the InstallCleanup.exe provided by Microsoft to clean all instances.

Once done, click here> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/reference-implementation/intel-compilers-compatibility-with-microsoft-visual-studio-and-xcode.html, to check the compatibility list of the Intel® compiler with it's compatible, supported and tested Microsoft Visual Studio versions.

First proceed with the installation of the Microsoft Visual Studio that is compatible with your preferred version of Intel® oneAPI and Intel® Parallel Studio XE. During the installation of Microsoft Visual Studio, please make sure to manually check the Desktop Development with C++ workload. For guidance on how to do that, visit here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/guide/installing-microsoft-visual-studio-2019-for-use-with-intel-compilers.html

0 Kudos
Nick3
New Contributor I

Yes, that is exactly how we did it.  Is there a specific requirement to repair installation of VS before installing ifort, or anything like this?  Please let me know, I am not sure based on various user questions.

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Kapil, generally if users are facing uninstallation issues, they would have needed to repair the installation and then proceed with the uninstallation. You could try repairing the VS install and then proceeding with installation of the compiler.

We await your findings.

0 Kudos
Nick3
New Contributor I

On one machine with this problem, we (once again) uninstalled VS 2022, and then installed VS 2022, preview edition.  This caused the Intel Fortran installer to recognize Visual Studio

On another machine with this problem, where we had VS 2022 and VS 2019 installed, we repaired the VS 2022 installation, and then Intel Fortran recognized Visual Studio.

This is after initial failure, after numerous complete uninstalls, on two different machines used by two different individuals.  Please, I urge you to do more testing for the Intel Fortran Offline installer.  I have never in my life had this many problems with any installer.

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Kapil, we have shared your feedback with our internal team regarding the performance issues you have encountered. The suggestions will go through a series of checks which will be necessary for the improvement of our product going forward. We thank you for taking your time and sharing the feedback with us.

Do you still encounter the issues on your system which was initially causing issues? We would like to know.

0 Kudos
Nick3
New Contributor I

At this time, everyone who wanted to install Intel Fortran has installed it.  We are having further issues, but those are being dealt with in a separate thread / ticket.  Appreciate your time.

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Kapil, thank you for the confirmation. We are glad that the issue was resolved.

Please note that your feedbacks have been shared with our team and we hope to address this issue in the near future.

If you have any further issues, please post a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel®.

0 Kudos