oneAPI Registration, Download, Licensing and Installation
Support for Getting Started questions related to download, Installation and licensing for Intel oneAPI Toolkits and software development tools.
1285 Discussions

Install of oneAPI 2022.2 with MSVS 2022 17.2.1 causes MSVS not to execute properly

David_Eberly
New Contributor I

I see many other posts about problems with the installation of oneAPI 2022.2 with MSVS 17.1.x. The oneAPI installation process had no complaints, but when I launched MSVS 17.2.1, multiple error dialogs popped up from MSVS (8 of them), indicating the installation of another extension might be the problem (which it apparently is).

After dismissing the dialogs, I tried to exit MSVS by pressing the window-close button. MSVS generates another error dialog, which I dismiss. But MSVS does not exit. I have to kill the MSVS process from Task Manager.

<opinion>

I like the MSVS IDE and the fact that oneAPI can be added as an extension. This makes for an efficient workflow for me. However, it seems like the oneAPI extension has problems on each release (regarding the extension). I wish Intel had the resources to maintain the extension so that is is well-tested with MSVS before a new version of oneAPI is posted. I really like your oneAPI tools, but the downtime of mucking with updates from Microsoft and Intel is now a problem. Time to resort to running oneAPI standalone.

</opinion>

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ArpanB_Intel

David, apologies for the inconvenience caused. We thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We will pass it on through the respective channels so that we can improve our products in future.

We are also looking to address these issues related to the installation and integration in our future update that is due to be released in a few weeks. Until then, we would appreciate your patience.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ArpanB_Intel

Hi David, this issue was first reported in the preview released and went into internal testing. As per the latest update, we have confirmed that Microsoft Visual Studio 17.2 is not supported with 2022.2.

To find more on this, visit here:> https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Fortran-Compiler/Do-not-upgrade-VS-2022-to-version-v17-2-It-breaks-all/m-p/1382358#M161212

0 Kudos
David_Eberly
New Contributor I

Thank you for your comments.

Here is the problem. I do not follow the "preview" or "internal testing." My error. I will guess that many other users do not have the time to track down problems before deciding whether or not to install oneAPI. The same goes for Microsoft Visual Studio updates. It is only natural that when you receive an email  (or notification through application) that there is an update, you install the update. Microsoft's MSVS installer gives you the option to install and only then does it provide a link to the release notes. The oneAPI installer does not have a link to release notes and known problems (to my knowledge).

I suggest the following. Your preview and internal testing showed that oneAPI 2022.2 has problems with MSVS 17.2. Modify your installer:  When you get to the installer page that asks which versions of MSVS the user wants to integrate into the IDE, list the versions of MSVS that you do support. Better yet, if possible, read the registry to determine what version of MSVS is installed. If it is a version that is not supported, gray-out the check box. Do not allow the user to select it. (A side benefit is that you will reduce the time spent responding to posts such as mine.)

Also, the "Do-not-upgrade-to-VS_2022-to-version-17-2-it-breaks-all" is an extreme reaction. Suppose Microsoft posted a comment in its release notes or at its community forum that says "Do not upgrade to oneAPI 2022.2 because it does not support MSVS 17.2." The tools you both produce should not be in competition, they should be cooperative. My development environment consists of many tools. If all of these do not work together, I would not be able to develop at all.

For your information. After the errors I received from MSVS 17.2.1, I uninstalled oneAPI 2022.2. I rebooted and then launched MSVS 2022. The same errors popped up, so the oneAPI installer modified something in the MSVS 17.2.1 environment that led to catastrophic failure. I did a "repair" of MSVS 17.2.1, which eliminated the problem. Unfortunately, a "repair" resets you to the default MSVS environment, so I spent quite some time restoring it to what I had, including adding specialized toolbars that support my workflow.

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

David, apologies for the inconvenience caused. We thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We will pass it on through the respective channels so that we can improve our products in future.

We are also looking to address these issues related to the installation and integration in our future update that is due to be released in a few weeks. Until then, we would appreciate your patience.

ArpanB_Intel

David, unfortunately we were unable to hear back from you.

If you have any further queries, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel®.

0 Kudos