oneAPI Registration, Download, Licensing and Installation
Support for Getting Started questions related to download, Installation and licensing for Intel oneAPI Toolkits and software development tools.

OneAPI versions number

netphilou31
New Contributor II

Hi,
I just would like to share my very bad experience (and feeling) about the way Intel is numbering the versions of OneAPI tools.

This is something which is quite difficult to understand and to manage.

Let explain my situation:

On my computer I have VS 2022 17.3.5 installed.

I have also installed OneAPI_BaseKit and OneAPI_HPCKit but I'm not sure which install package I have used, because I generally download almost all of the updates (but not always installing them) and it's impossible to find in VS 2022, which install package has been used since the only information displayed is:

Intel® Fortran Compiler Classic for applications running on IA-32, version 2021.6.0 Package ID: w_oneAPI_2022.1.0.3787

Looking in my download folder there is no w_HPCKit_2022.1.0.3787.exe, all what I have is:

w_HPCKit_p_2022.1.0.93_offline.exe
w_HPCKit_p_2022.1.2.116_offline.exe
w_HPCKit_p_2022.1.3.145_offline.exe
w_HPCKit_p_2022.2.0.173_offline.exe

I already don't understand why there is a difference between the Package ID and the Compiler version (at least the major and minor version numbers should be the same) but having an install package ID which is also different makes absolutely no sense to me.

I guess that diving into the registry will probably give me the information but I am either not sure that this will work.

I hope that in the future versions, this will be changed or improved because as I mentioned above who can understand it?

I would also request that you include again the 32-bit version of the MKL even if this requires a separate installation package (there are still people developping for 32 and 64 bit platforms!).

Finally, it would also be interesting to know which version of Visual Studio is compatible with each install package. I spent hours yesterday to downgrade Visual Sudio to a version which is compatible with the OneAPI install package I wanted to use. I finally find some information from intel web site, but I think this is something which should be clearly written on the download page and not only in the release notes (if this information exists there).

Best regards,

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ArpanB_Intel

Philippe, we believe the nomenclature includes the year of release, followed by the update number, followed by the package number and then the minor package updates.

Usually, we have the first release and then during validation we find minor issues related to the product. Each time a minor issue is updated automatically(in case your system is connected to the internet), the minor update number changes. However, during installation or integration with the IDE, it is only the first three numbers that are important.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ArpanB_Intel

Hi Philippe, thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We will share this to our internal team for further consideration so that we can improve our releases in the future.

We would also like to share a method to find out the integration information.

• Open Visual Studio IDE
  • At the top, select Help option
  • From the drop down menu, select About Microsoft Visual Studio
  • In the new dialogue box that appears, you should find the list of tools integrated with the IDE. If you click on an individual tool, you should be able to find the information about the package it belongs to.

An example of the above is attached in the screenshot below.

Also, please visit the link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/reference-implementation/intel-compilers-compatibility-with-microsoft-visual-studio-and-xcode.html, for complete information regarding the compatibility of our compilers with Microsoft Visual Studio IDE.

0 Kudos
netphilou31
New Contributor II

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I blame myself for not looking in the "About..." section (I knew there was some information there, but I didn't think to look). However, it adds finally more confusion than solving my issue because the information on the package ID is displaying another version number...

"Intel® Fortran Compiler – toolkit version: 2022.2.0, extension version 22.0.0066.17, Package ID: w_oneAPI_2022.1.0.256, Copyright © 2002-2022 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
* Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others."

Best regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Philippe, we believe the nomenclature includes the year of release, followed by the update number, followed by the package number and then the minor package updates.

Usually, we have the first release and then during validation we find minor issues related to the product. Each time a minor issue is updated automatically(in case your system is connected to the internet), the minor update number changes. However, during installation or integration with the IDE, it is only the first three numbers that are important.

0 Kudos
netphilou31
New Contributor II

Thanks for the clarification of which numbers are important to look at.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Philippe, thank you for your confirmation. We are glad that we were able to address your issue.

If you have any further queries, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel®.

0 Kudos