oneAPI Registration, Download, Licensing and Installation
Support for Getting Started questions related to download, Installation and licensing for Intel oneAPI Toolkits and software development tools.
1264 Discussions

Problems with Installing VTune & sampling drivers on ubuntu 18.04

SSimon
Beginner

Hi,

I am trying to install Vtune stand-alone in the following configuration of my personal laptop:

OS version: Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS
Vtune version: version 2022.3.0
Hardware: Intel® Core™ i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz × 4 , NVIDIA GeForce 940MX/PCIe/SSE2, 64 bit, 8Gb Ram.

1.  For installation, I followed the steps here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/vtune-install-guide/top/linux/package-managers.html

A log file containing the terminal dump during installation is attached (VtuneInstall_log.txt).

2. I ran the self checked post installation. The log file can be found attached (selfChecker_log.txt).

3. I tried to check which drivers are loaded by running the ./insmod-sep -q. The results are

$ ./insmod-sep -q
pax driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".
socperf3 driver is not correctly loaded.
sep5 driver is not correctly loaded.

socwatch driver is not loaded.

vtsspp driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".

The prominent errors

a) socperf3 driver, sep5 driver and socwatch driver are not loaded correctly.

b) Configuring autoload of sep5.service service ...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/sep5.service → /lib/systemd/system/sep5.service.
Job for sep5.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status sep5.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
WARNING: systemctl start returned error 1 ...

Possibly due to these errors, the following analyses have failed on the system:
* Hotspots with HW event-based sampling, HPC Performance Characterization, etc.
* Microarchitecture Exploration
* Memory Access
* Hotspots with HW event-based sampling and call stacks
* Threading with HW event-based sampling
* GPU Compute/Media Hotspots (characterization mode)
* GPU Compute/Media Hotspots (source analysis mode)

Help?
This is my second attempt at a fresh installation of the Vtune. I don't want to install the entire base-kit to access VTune. Could someone be kind enough to guide me as to how to trouble-shoot this issue? I saw two previous posts on this which remain unsatisfactorily attended to.

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ArpanB_Intel

Hi Sangeeth, Ubuntu* 18.04 LTS was deprecated in the release> Intel® oneAPI 2022.1, and was removed from support for future releases. We would suggest you to proceed with the installation on Ubuntu* 20.10, 21.04 LTS.

To check the complete deprecation notice, visit here> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/system-requirements/vtune-profiler-system-requirements.html#inpage-nav-2-6, and scroll down to the OS Deprecation Notice section.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ArpanB_Intel

Hi Sangeeth, Ubuntu* 18.04 LTS was deprecated in the release> Intel® oneAPI 2022.1, and was removed from support for future releases. We would suggest you to proceed with the installation on Ubuntu* 20.10, 21.04 LTS.

To check the complete deprecation notice, visit here> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/system-requirements/vtune-profiler-system-requirements.html#inpage-nav-2-6, and scroll down to the OS Deprecation Notice section.

0 Kudos
SSimon
Beginner

Hello Arpan,

Thank you for your reply. I will try the installation with Ubuntu 20.10 or later versiosn as per your instruction.

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Sangeeth, thank you for accepting our solution. We are glad that we were able to help you.

If you have any further queries, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel®.

0 Kudos